Welcome to PatsFans.com

The GOP: Business as usual...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by godef, Aug 4, 2006.

1. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So Al Gore's film gets exposed for the load of crap that it is, and you guys are upset that it was done by a PR firm instead of by a 29 year old..? Guess I just can't find anything in there to upset me....

3. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's called an astroturf campaign (spoof on "grassroots") and unfortunately they're very common (and dishonest). The telecommunications industry is notorious for them (especially when it comes to blocking municipal-run broadband projects). Sometimes the telcos even pay residents to be able to file lawsuits on their bahalf blocking the projects (the telcos don't want the publicity backlash that comes along with blocking competition). So sadly, you're right, it IS business as usual.

4. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Except that a PR firm would say anything at all if you paid them, so it lacks any credibility. You can say the same for Al Gore, but it is what it is.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So it's OK to tell a boatload of lies, just as long as you do it in the "honest fashion" pioneered by the likes of Michael Moore and Al Gore...?

Gotta say I don't get the logic there...

7. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Al Gore's movie is certainly controversial, astroturfing is 100% wrong. Even if Al Gore's movie had been 100% wrong, that still doesn't make fraud OK.

It's funny - and I don't expect the situation to change - that nobody on this forum has actually challenged what about Al Gore's film is a lie. Did you watch it? (I didn't). Or do you just assume that he's lying because he's Al Gore?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh, Pujo!
    Now you're asking for it! :eek:

9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I didn't see the film but I did read his book and then I read an nice, long response to the book and how that is riddled with ridiculous inaccuracies, anecdotal evidence, hyperbole, and unfounded theory.

There's no doubt in my mind that the movie is the same sort of propaganda.

10. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ok, and if Al Gore's blowing global warming waaaaay out of proportion, does that make it acceptable for a paid PR firm to pretend they're somebody who they're not? It's a lot like payola, wouldn't you say?

11. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I am curious about the global warming folks. What is their motive for telling us we have a problem?

I am also curious about the global warming-deniers. What is their motive for ridiculing the idea...

What's odd is that the most prestigious scientific body in America, the National Science Foundation, at the request of Congress, reviewed all of the evidence and came to two conclusions 1) global warming is real and 2) global warming is, at least in part, caused by human activity.

This isn't a couple of scientists from some no-name university, this is the National Science Foundation The National Science Foundation (NSF) is an independent United States government agency that supports fundamental research and education in all the non-medical fields of science and engineering. With an annual budget of about $5.6 billion (fiscal year 2006), NSF funds approximately 20 percent of all federally supported basic research conducted by America's colleges and universities.

If we can't trust them, who should we believe?

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think this is an example, to use the phrase of the person who started this thread, of "shooting the messenger". Don't blame a paid PR firm for being a paid PR firm when they have thoroughly debunk the myths, lies and fairy tales that makes Algore's movie an inconvenient lie.

ADDENDUM: I haven't seen the movie itself so I don't know if (or how far) Algore blows global warming out of proportion. However, I generally don't have a problem with people who tell us the Earth is warming. My problem lies with the politically motiviated, ridiculous reasons people give us to explain the reason behind global warming. Global warming has been attributed to everything from the internal combustion engine to bovine flatulence, depending on which liberal special interest group is doing the speaking.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

George Bush turned Al Gore into a raving bellowing lunatic.

If there is such a thing as "global Warming" do the knee jerk American liberals think it could be possible that other country's could be involved or is it just "Bush's America" is it only American Cows that break wind into the atmosphere, have any of America' s liberals gone after Cuba or South America, or Africa in some of these country's they still urinate in pots during the night then empty them out of their window in the morning.

Would Al Gore dare go to Iran and tell them to stop letting their donkeys sh!t in the street, has Al Gore ever told Robert Kennedy to stop flying around the world in his fuel guzzling private jet, will Fonda Kerry stop lugging his surfboards around on SUV's, will Striesand stop using Air Conditioning to keep her fur coats cool, will Auntie Pelosi use a Horse and Buggy instead of a Limo.

Is it just the Bush Family that is causing global warming.

14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Another dose of liberal compassion.

On behalf of all conservatives, I would like to thank you Nem for so perfectly demonstrating why the lefties are loonies. If I tried to invent someone like you, nobody would believe it.

15. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

But you gotta say, Qui Gon, after reading that latest bloviation, that Harry Boy isn't a poster boy for Mensa.

And compassion is definitely the right word. You do want to feel compassion for him, and if only he'd stop trying to kick you in the crotch for a moment or two, you might be able to express it.

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

They could debunk the myth without resorting to fraud - how about the Republicans produce their own video to counter Gore's? At least Gore was honest that Gore was making the video. Sorry, Qui Gon, this is where you can show you're reasonable and not just a butt-boy for the GOP. How about "Al Gore's video was a piece of crap, and the Republicans were right to refute it, but they shouldn't have used trickery." Can we at least hear you say that?

17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, nothing more "honest" than a movie by Algore or Michael Moore...
    Oh, I'll be the first to admit that the movie should be refuted by legitimate sources and agree with the statement:

Algore's video was a piece of crap: I haven't seen the film so I can't comment directly... but I find it very hard to believe it is any less a bag of puke and pablum than his books have been.

Republicans were right to refute it: Darn straight they were..!!

They shouldn't have used trickery: I absolutely agree. I don't know the specifics of this particular allegation, but it sounds like another underhanded maneuver that both sides conduct with much more regularity than any of us probably can imagine.

While I don't find this particular offense as egregious as, say, Dan Rather knowingly and deliberately providing fake documents in his never ending assault of George Bush, it's still something that shouldn't be done.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Good enough for me! And as for global warming, there are too many scientific sources, articles, movies, books, etc on the subject that I don't need to hear it from Al Gore.

19. godef

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Read the item again, Mr. Illiterate. This is not about Al Gore's film, it's about a spoof on Al Gore's film which the GOP was too chicken to admit was theirs.

20. godef

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I wsas talking about ABC News, not myself. When mainstream media expose such shenanigans by the GOP, their response is always "Oh, here goes the un-American liberal media again." Apparently, what they feel makes the liberal so media is their decision to cover the news and let the people decide whether it is newsworthy.

Which is actually true. "Liberal" and "liberty" share the same root word and meaning. So what they imply is that liberty is un-American.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2005