PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Lua looked slow as much as he looked confused and tentative. That play where he gave up the TD was against a wide receiver, and most linebackers are going to look slow against a receiver, however, he still should have made the tackle. There were times where he was just running around in the middle of the field not sure where to go.

I had the same impression but he seemed to know what he should have done after the play. He would point to a spot or talk to one of his teammates like he was explaining that he blew the coverage but understood why. In a system as complicated as this recognizing what you did wrong in your first preseason game as a rookie is huge.

So if you were to grade him it would be a D- on performance but I'd be willing to bet he does better the next time out.

I don't think Lua looked slow as much as he looked confused and tentative. That play where he gave up the TD was against a wide receiver, and most linebackers are going to look slow against a receiver, however, he still should have made the tackle. There were times where he was just running around in the middle of the field not sure where to go.

I respectfully disagree. to me, it seemed that Lua knew where to go but his feet wouldn't get him there in time. I think he has solid instincts but that his body can't catch up to his thoughts.

Which is why we have three more preseason games to figure it out. And by "we," I mean BB. :)

I liked Rogers. I hope that there is enough room to keep him if he continues to improve. Lua looked like a good rookie, made mistakes but also decent on some plays.

The one guy who I think we should part ways with is Gene M. Got knocked on his ass again last night.

S. Thomas looked better that LeKevin but it was garbage time.

Just some quick thoughts before I forget-

THE GOOD -
1. The Pass blocking - It was excellent most of the time, especially against the Buc's first unit, which has some good rushers. I think they only hit Brady once, and it was gentle. Cassell might have been flushed once or twice.
2. Matt Cassell- Didn't show the happy feet we've seen before. Stayed in the pocket got his feet set and threw the ball, and most of time well.
3. Matt Guttierrez - The the F did this kid not get drafted. Not to get carried away but the way he stood in the pocket was VERY impressive. I'm now VERY interested in seeing how this kid progresses into the 2nd game. He made some mistakes, and throws a BAD fade pass, but given his draft status, he was impressive, at least to me.
4. Justin Rogers - when the show pictures of him lining up, I swear he looked like a ******. However when the ball was snapped he made several plays, not just the sack and fumble recovery. The play that impressed me the most was one running play where he set the corner then extended the LOS and assisted on the tackle. He did in one play what the Pats couldn't get out of TBC in 4 years. Its hard to believe that this kid was a DLman in college.
5. Randell Gay - played very solidly especially in run support.
6. Kelley Washington - was this the same guy all the media types left for dead earlier this week. Was this the same guy spotted at practice with his head down, just waiting to be released. He looked strong catching the ball.
7. Kevin Faulk - is there a more under rated Patriot that you can think of. He still "got it".

There were several others that played well - others can add to the list, but these six individuals were the ones that first came to mind.

THE BAD:

1.Sammy Morris: Looked slow and sluggish. I was waiting for slash, and got smoosh. He looked like Though I did think he looked better as the game went along. I'm willing to give him a pass THIS game. I wonder if the fact the Pats haven't done much live work this camp didn't have an effect, and he would have looked sharper as the game went along. Also the OL wasn't exactly gashing the DL of the Bucs
2. The overall run defense - granted both Warren and Seymour weren't there, but still.... What I didn't see were RBs being snapped back, like you saw the Bucs D do several times over the course of the game.
3. NONE of the rookie punters could drop a ball inside the 20

THE UGLY - Actually the only ugly thing I saw was that ill advised, ill thrown 3rd and 2 pass by Guttierrez at the end of the game. He was doing a good job underneath, and the Pats at that time needed more first downs than they did long plays at that time. The failure to pick up that 1st down, ultimately cost them the game (he said over dramatically)

Other inoccuous observations:

1. The Pats 2 back up QBs run SOOOOO much better than the guy who starts.
2. You will see the pass that Brady over threw to a wide open Wes Welker completed many many times this year.
3. Gaffney is quickly cementing a place on this team. Very unspectacular, very solid.
4. Mills looks too small to be more than a flexed out TE or HB, in other words a very specialized player who better find a place on STs
5. I hope Bam finds an NFL team who can find a place for him. This is just the wrong year for him to be on the Pats, but he deserves to be in the NFL.
6. Secretly I think Bill loved that we lost. I can't wait for the cliches to come in his press conference.

Thats all for now. I'll leave others to fill in the blanks.

I spent the game watching the reserve LBs.
First the encouraging news:
The Pats may have found another raw gemstone in Justin Rodgers. He had a sack, at least one other pressure, a fumble recovery, and I think 4 solo tackles including setting the edge successfully twice. He needs another year on the PS but if he could play ST, he might be the surprise keeper.
Second the non encouraging news:
I watched Oscar Lua and Corey Mays carefully. If I didn't know better, I would say that Lua was the guy who had a years' experience, even though he looked like he is not much of an ILB. He appeared slow and he was the guy who got fooled for the Buc's TD. Still he had a little poise and could expect to get better and reach reserve status in a few years. Off this outing I don't think there is any starting capability there.
By comparison Corey Mays was completely outclassed by Lua. He looked small, out of position, and a reed in the wind, as a tackler. The Bucs had no problem pushing him out of the way; and he did not fill the hole very often. When he did get to the right position, he looked like a light FS trying to tackle, and not doing a very good job at it. He will have to be an extremely good ST, to have a shot right now. I would judge him a first cut.
I didn't see or notice if Chad Brown took a snap.
In summary the Pats have no depth at ILB except maybe one of the veterans, moving inside.
The OLB situation is intriguing. Rodgers may have won a job as the last OLB. He will be condemned to ST play only, as he learns. Chad Brown who always had competition from Pierre Woods, (who didn't play), now will feel the fresh breath of another youngster.
It is my firm opinion that it is tougher to scout and predict reliably who will blossom as a star at 3-4 OLB. That is why Belichick hesitates to draft them high preferring to experiment every year with a end-of-draft projection experiment. The non-success rate is much higher there I suspect.
OTOH, I think you can draft an ILB high, and he can and will reliably produce and play for you. It appears to me that the Pats need young ILBs, and have not found any; but are on the way to solving their need for youth and depth at OLB.
Any opinions?

In summary the Pats have no depth at ILB except maybe one of the veterans, moving inside.
For this year we have depth with 3 guys, Thomas, Bruschi, Seau who can all play. It's not until 2 of 3 are out that we have a problem - I call that depth. Now, if you're talking about depth for the future then I agree.

I didn't see or notice if Chad Brown took a snap...
In summary the Pats have no depth at ILB except maybe one of the veterans, moving inside. It appears to me that the Pats need young ILBs, and have not found any; but are on the way to solving their need for youth and depth at OLB. Any opinions?

Chad Brown is apparently trying to resurrect his career as a blocking dummy. Going by early impression, I'd take Rogers over him on ST and backup OLB.

I still have high hopes for Lua, but I have to admit that they were higher hopes before 8 p.m. EST last night. He could hang on as a contributor. Let the broken record begin: The Pats have to draft an ILB for next year. (Fortunately, it's a good year for that.)

Any potential free agents out there? I can't seem to find any:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=LB&y=2007

The Good - Gaffney and Washington; good effort by both guys.

The Bad - Adalius Thomas, 3 bad plays; he let a RB take his legs out, ran past RB with ball, failed to lay the wood on Garcia.

The Ugly - The Tampa Bay announcers.

Okay, before going to Tivo and getting into some detail:

Good:
Quarterbacks
Faulk and Evans
O-line depth
Kelley Washington
Mike Wright
Starting secondary

Bad:
Mental mistakes - kickoff out of bounds, turning the wrong way on a fade, etc.
Gap control - Behind Wright the best two DL were Santonio Thomas and Kenny Smith. LeKevin is flashing potential, he needs more reps and more patience. Moore looked bad, Brown looked like potential.

Ugly (or better yet, hope for improvement):
Young LBs - Rogers, Mays, Bissinger; I'm reserving judgement on Lua until I've watched slow-mo.
Reserve secondary - especially Meriweather and Baker.
Timing between Gutierrez and WRs, close, but not quite there yet.

When i wrote my opinion o fthe reserve Lbs. i forgot about one guy.

I see the OLB candidates as:
Colvin,
Vrabel,
Thomas (occasionallly),
Woods,
Rogers, Maybe 53, but PS at least)
Brown (to the Shadow Roster)

I see the ILbs as;
Bruschi
Thomas (mostly),
Seau,
Alexander
Lua (PS possibility)
Izzo
Mays cut

The Pats will keep 8, or most likely 9 LBs. The 7th 8th, and 9th are usually ST contributors as well as reserves. If there is more ST talent at DB, one of the ST LBs positions could get taken by a ST DB. If eligible they might join the PS.

I will advance a proposition that Izzo might not be a lock. I could see him joining Chad Brown, Vinny T, Mrucz, Tebuckey, Dillon, as shadow Roster candidates. I am assuming that Seau, when healthy still has it; and Alexander will return healthy.

Alexander is a ST maven, Woods was a fine ST contributor last season, Rogers had a ST tackle this game, and Lua is supposed to be a ST player as well.

Excuse me. The Pats depth at LB is there, it just didn't play. Their front line depth is Seau, Alexander and long with the possibility to swing Vrabel, and Brown inside as well. How much depth do you want? :rolleyes:

The OLB situation is intriguing. Rodgers may have won a job as the last OLB. He will be condemned to ST play only, as he learns. Chad Brown who always had competition from Pierre Woods, (who didn't play), now will feel the fresh breath of another youngster.

That's possible, but IMHO Rogers is still destined to the PS this year, and it won't hurt him a bit. He needs to get stronger and quicker. A year on the PS and a great offseaon and I think we'll find a keeper here.

It is my firm opinion that it is tougher to scout and predict reliably who will blossom as a star at 3-4 OLB. That is why Belichick hesitates to draft them high preferring to experiment every year with a end-of-draft projection experiment. The non-success rate is much higher there I suspect.

That's because most OLBs in the 3-4 are DLmen in college. In an attacking 3-4 like the Steelers and SD run, it is possible to see a quicker upside, since they have fewer responsibilities than the OLB in the Pats system

OTOH, I think you can draft an ILB high, and he can and will reliably produce and play for you. It appears to me that the Pats need young ILBs, and have not found any; but are on the way to solving their need for youth and depth at OLB.

I agree, and it will be come even more prevelent as more and more college teams go to the 3-4. I think if the Pat had a low 2nd they would have used it on ILB if David Harris had been there, and if not, as reported they really wanted Stuart Bradley in the 4th.

Last edited:
I really like what I saw out of Justin Rodgers this game.

Matt Cassell looked pretty good to me considering that I had heard a lot of bad stuff about his performance in camp.

Gutieri (sp?) looked better than I though he would. If he continues to impress this much, I would consider keeping him over Vinny. I didn't like his decision on that goal-line play though. He had someome open over the middle right at the endzone line but threw a lower percentage fade to the corner instead. Worse yet, he OVERTHREW that WR and cost us a TD. Still, I thought he looked really good overall.

I thought Gay played well. Morris started to look better as the game went on. Our screen plays were getting blown up. Was that missed blocks? bad positioning? Good plays by their defense?

Anyone else wish that the broadcasters would add a little bar at the bottom of the screen on preseason games showing the depth chart or who is currently in the game with name and number?

I am interested in seeing all the guys that didn't play in this first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back