PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Glass is Half Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwc

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever seen so much hand-wringing gloom and doom about a team that is 4-1, with at least a two-game lead over everyone in the division, plus division wins against them all.

Folks, come down off the Tobin Bridge. The Pats are very close to locking up the AFC East. Sheesh, it could be worse, ya know. It's not like we are Raiders fans dissecting and analyzing the game!

NEM said:
Did I miss the next 11 games, or something?

The Pats have a 2 game lead plus worst-case tie in the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Jets and the Bills, 3 games over the Dolphins.

If the Pats close out the rest of season 6-5, either the Jets would have to go 8-3 AND beat the Pats just to tie for the division. The Fins would have to go 9-2 and beat the Pats. I like our chances.

The negativity here is really astonishing. We are spoiled-rotten and suffering from Alzeimhers by forgetting all those miracle wins in close games on the way to three SuperBowls. Does everyone forget a receiver lying out of bounds unconscious with his foot on the ball, overturning a fumble? Does everyone forget pulling a game out of our butts in Denver after an intentional safety? Or having to hit a wing and prayer bomb in overtime in Miami?

To read such widespread complaining about kneel-down wins this season is just amazing.

NEM said:

True enough. Completion of week 5 has secured nothing. However, for the sake of argument I am going to say that wins over Buff, NYJ and Miami will secure the East. Why? Assuming we defeat, and we damn well better, Tenn, Houston and Detroit, that's ten wins. Any other team in the conference would need 11 wins. That means the Phins would have to win all of their non Patriot remaining games, or Buff and NYJ would have to win 10 out of 11 non Patriot remaining games. Since Miami winning all those games is way too much of a long shot, I'll consider them out of consideration. That leaves Buff and NYJ. Buff has Indy, Jax, SD and Balt remaining plus a game against the Jets. Count Buff out. NYJ have a very favorable schedule remaining. Chicago is the only game remaining that jumps out at you (Cleveland, Houston, GB, Detroit, Oakland, 2 with Miami) . Assuming they lose to Chicago, they must run the table otherwise. Assuming stoping the run continues to be a problem for them and knowing not stopping the run is job 1, NYJ is out. So there you have it. The Path to the East title is 3 games. 1 vs NYJ in Foxboro, 1 in Miami and 1 in Buff. 3 games to the division title!

hwc said:
I don't know if I've ever seen so much hand-wringing gloom and doom about a team that is 4-1, with at least a two-game lead over everyone in the division, plus division wins against them all.

Folks, come down off the Tobin Bridge. The Pats are very close to locking up the AFC East. Sheesh, it could be worse, ya know. It's not like we are Raiders fans dissecting and analyzing the game!

I agree with you, the amount of negative posts on this board after a WIN are unreal, you would think we just took the kind of pounding the Jets did today. I don't mind threads talking about things that went wrong in a game we won, but the doom and gloom threads are out of control at certain points. I feel very good about where this team is right now and see things only getting better.

NEM said:
Actually I think it's wishful thinking on many people's part that you will.

Even Felger and Borges are drinking the koolaid this AM, read both waited for the negativity to begin and they failed to do so. I do not understand any negativity about this team, there are some needs that have to be addressed, but overall I am more than pleased. Remember when we lost Vinateri, McGinnest, Givens and Branch people were ready to throw in the towel... well folks we are now 4-1 heading into the bye week.. getting better all the time.. the Defense is playing real well and I suspect our Offense will catch up.

SWelker said:
I feel very good about where this team is right now and see things only getting better.

We are in the hunt. And, ahead of the game with a commanding lead in over our division. I don't know what else a fan could ask for after Week 5.

They don't give style points in the NFL. All that matters is racking up W's.

Will this team be a Super Bowl team four months from now? Beats me. So far, things are on track: not too many insurmountable injuries, an above average running game, and a defense that is isn't allowing points (15 per game) 7th in the NFL, and an offense that is scoring OK (22 per game, 11th in the NFL.

alamo said:
Actually I think it's wishful thinking on many people's part that you will.

I just choked reading this!! haha

Who is on the Tobin Bridge?

Truth is, yesterday's Pats win was very reminiscent of the early dynasty wins, ugly, hard-fought, playing to their opponent, just grinding it out. I think a few people are simply pointing out that the offense is not as good as it could be, which is exactly what Tom Brady would say if asked. And anything Tom Brady says is automatically true and right. Same goes for BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes