Welcome to PatsFans.com

The future looks bleak for the GOP.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Nov 5, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Although I am a registered independent, I vote with the right more than
    most republicans.

I could not bring myself to vote for McCain.
    He lost me in the 2nd debate when he said he was going to buy
    up all the bad loans & readjust the principle so that people
    who are not making mortgage payments can stay in their homes.

What about the people making payments, on a house that is not
    worth what they paid for it. They get nothing?

I made a protest vote for Bob Barr on election day because
    I could not support John McCain.

I see a tough road ahead for the republicans.
    I don't know how the republicans can gain votes for the next election.
    With the liberal agenda ahead, I can see felons, illegals and new immigrints.
    voting for the democrats in 2012. Also the 14+ kids will be eligible to vote
    in 2012. They seem to really like the democrat koolaid.

The future looks bleak for the GOP.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Everything is going according to plan...

Ron Paul will move into save the GOP. We already have so many Ron Paul supporters at the local level, active int he local GOP groups and committees. With the GOP / NEO-CON agenda thoroughly dismantled... Ron Paul and the RP revolution will swing into to shape the GOP to what it once was...
  3. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

It means that the GOP will go back to the drawing board and come up with a plan. Hopefully, it will incude dumping what they thought was so important in the last few elections and get back to what I've heard their party stood for. Hopefully, we see a change in the Democratic party, in that they have so much power, they don't abuse it and actually try to fix some of the problems that face us. I can dream can't I.
  4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

The problem with the Republicans is that they forgot who and what they were. McCain is basically a democrat, his views are pretty much indentical with what used to be the Democrat party, Tip O'Neil, JFK, Cuomo, etc.

The Republicans need to go back to the party of limited government, less taxes, and lassiez faire in business.

Do not undersetimate the Democrats ability to screw this pooch. Clinton had both houses for his first two years, and started with "Dnot' ask, Don't tell" and then socialized medicine, all of which failed and brought about Newt, Republican Control of Congress, and with it, a line item veto (since overturn by the SP), welfare reform, and lower taxes, none of which were Clinton's doing, but he got the credit for.

The Republicans should just sit back and wiat for the train wreck, cause it's coming.

Remember the 2010 census is going to add at least ten more congressional seats to the South, and with the Republican control legislatures redrawning the districts, should increase the GOP numbers in Congress greatly.
  5. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't think the pubbies are in trouble. The power of both parties waxes and wanes, as does their identity. This waning of the pubs is courtesy of Bush screwing up stuff/being presdient when stuff was screwed up. I expect that by 2012 or so, the Congress will slowly start to switch out with pubs again, and depending on Obama's job performance, a pub in 12 or 16. It's all cyclical.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Considering that the current train wreck hasn't been cleared off the tracks your pretty optimistic. The landscape is also changing as Obama campaigned in historically red states and did well. The next two Presidential elections will be very interesting as to what colors some of the states fall into.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

You could have said the same for the Democrats about a decade ago. Republicans will be fine, we just need to fins a real Republican. Gindal is my latest hope.
  8. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Eh, you're used to jumping off the train when the team is down - - after all who was it that infamously posted that he was dumping his season tickets once Brady went down?

It is times like NOW when your side needs to reinvent and regroup, not bail out.

Our nation wasn't built by window jumpers.

The Right will regroup, self examine and change from within. The ones who aren't jumping out the window will be the ones who will have the sway.
  9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well the good news for the GOP is that the Saracuda likely ain't departing DC just yet.

For some baffling reason, convicted felon Ted Stevens is ahead in AK's Senate race with just a very few votes left to count. He won't serve that term. For one thing, he may very well be in jail soon and for another the Senate is entirely within its rights to deny him his seat. Both houses of Congress reserve the right to reject members for cause and a felony conviction's a pretty good cause.

So he'll likely step down which will necessitate a special election. Even if the D manages to squeek out a victory (49.2 to 49.1 or so) 50% +1 vote is required in the general or a runoff must be held under Alaskan law and Sara has suddenly found herself with a lot more free time on her hands.
  10. shmessy

Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

The good, solid moral values of the "Real America"!
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I agree.

:eek:

//
  12. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +150 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

That's exactly what I did.
  13. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well as a libertarian, I can say you two officially voted for a republican in the general election!!!

Just went to the LP.org, Bob Barr of all the states they have reported on, did not even receive over 1% of any state. This is an epic colapse of the Libertarian Party. Their selection of Barr killed so many Libertarians momentum after everything Ron Paul did, to put an ex-republican that never represented libertarian values up there, and to have a showing like that... sad, and a huge step back for the libertarian party.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Same here. I didn't vote against Obama, and couldn't vote for McCain. I voted Bob Barr, and let the chips fall where they may.

As for the GOP, anyone who thinks they are doomed simply hasn't been paying attention to the history of politics in this country. Coke or Pepsi fellas. When Gore lost and the pubs got total control there was a question bandied around about whether or not it was the end of the Democratic Party. How'd that prediction work out? The one thing we know is that like an economy, political control is cyclical, cuz power corrupts. Does anyone think that this country is going to openly embrace Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Howard Dean, and a potentially identical ideolog, Barack Obama? Hell no. Should (stressed here) the dems govern to the extreme left, where which their party has morphed over the last few years, the country will reject them. If that happens, and people become disastified with Pepsi, guess who they'll generically vote for? Yup, Coke.
  15. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Bingo, that's what I've been saying. It's pendulum, it's swinging one way, and soon it will swing back. Our country has been reactionary the last century. We vote in one party slowly, then transition away from them to the other. It's cyclical.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Personally, I hope the pubs get back to their principles, cuz they've been anything but fiscally sane the last 6-8 years. I think with people like Palin 44, Crist 52, and Jindal at 37, they've at least got a chance to run some solid candidates over the next few elections. 4, or even 8 years, is a long time though.
  17. shmessy

Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Maybe they'll get back to their principles and govern economically like Bill Clinton?
  18. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

NEither party "goes away" as in disbanded, but new influences rise within the parties and devise a strategy in order to bring the party forward.

The GOP is not going anywhere, but the NEO-CON leadership has no more power left to elect, and push an agenda and candidates that simply do not resonate with the center.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

I sure hope so. Remember though, Clinton had Newt and a GOP house and senate to keep things sane. Split control checks and balances both sides. Plus, Clinton wasn't an extremist, or an ideolog. He was a middle-american (Arkansas) moderate. His first two years weren't exactly a boon for democrats (see 1994 elections). That's not to say that the next two years won't be for them. We'll see. I want what's best for the country, so I hope our leadership does a great job ASAP. I do have my doubts though, when that group includes Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, etc.
  20. shmessy

Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

If Rahm Emmanuel is Chief of Staff, it would be interesting to see if the Administration goes after Reid and Pelosi and organizes a Congressional coup to replace them in the leadership.

Watch the Emmanuel story closely. If he accepts the offer, it would signal the Obama Administration having an iron %$$% bastid to be able to say "No" to several groups that may feel entitled to push extreme left agendas.