PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The future CBA and the possibility of a No Franchise Tag affecting the draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I am wondering if some teams who have placed the Franchise Tag on players is keeping in mind that there is a distinct possibility that the new CBA could possibly eliminate the Tag thus making it possible that the current tagged player could become an immediate FA and free to sign with anyone if the CBA goes this direction and is settled before the end of summer.

In regards to our team,Would this stick in the back of the mind of BB to maybe draft an OG early with the idea floating around that there may not be a Franchise Tag in 2011 and beyond?...would this change maybe the way he would normally draft?

I think without a shadow of a doubt that there will be a divorce between the Patriots and Mankins if a change like this is instantly enacted and Mankins would hop aboard the overpriced train to sign with another team.

This possible new CBA issue could certainly mean that the Patriots would no longer be able to hold onto Logan and make the option to draft an OG who can start immediately a more serious look in the early rounds?.

Your Opinions on this ...

Last edited:
Re: The future CBA and the possibility of a No Franchise Tag affecting the draft pick

Well if that happens Mankins AND Manning become free agents. If I'm Arizona I go out and offer Manning the kitchen sink, could you image him with Wisenhut and that WR corps, in that division?

Of course without Manning the Colts would be lucky to win 4 games.

Mankins should get re-signed, he is a beast on the OL. I can only hope that it can get done. HE has had a tough time of it under this CBA, technically IF the Judge's ruling is not stayed AND the NFL imposes last years rules, Mankins would revert to a RFA, I guess the Pats could then hit him with a first round tender, ouch, IF I was Mankins agent, knowing that this possibility still existed, I would have had him sign the Franchise tender before the lockout.

Can you imagine the utter chaos of free agency and the draft, and players getting cut, all happening on the same day? IF the NFL starts it's "league year" tomorrow, it will be utter chaos, and only the teams with the best front offices (cough, cough, like the Pats) will be able to navigate it. I haven't even bothered to see who is and isnt a FA.

Last edited:
Re: The future CBA and the possibility of a No Franchise Tag affecting the draft pick

If there is no stay of Judge Nelson's injunction, Mankins and Green-Ellis will likely be shopping themselves. That said, I see no reason for NE to jump on the first guard prospect they encounter, they've sized up a number of options all through the draft. Green-Ellis shopping himself may open the door for Ingram early though.

Last edited:

Imagine if the Pats go out and sign Usomugha! Tyson Clabo would be a good signing at guard. Usually back in normal times, BB would shore up his biggest holes in Free Agency, leaving him the latitude to trade down or BPA in the draft.

I would re-sign Mankins, probably say good-by to Light, try and sign Usomugha, and maybe, depending on what planet his brain is currently stranded on, some guy named Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back