PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Front Office killed it this Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So were Finnegan and Carr undrafted?

Carr was a 5th rounder and Finnegan was a 7th.

Everyone knows that the draft is a crapshoot.

Starting to think that McCourty needs to stay at FS.

Yeah, why bother even giving the FO some credit after that performance from Gronk yesterday. We should bash them for not fixing this secondary and why we are only 5-3

Criticising OTG for being a Front Office basher is well wide of the mark, he's probably the biggest homer on this site. For example, he predicted we'll win every game for the next five years or something.

Plenty of good moves, plenty of bad moves, and a lot of moves that are still ungradeable.

So were Finnegan and Carr undrafted?

They were late rounders, but you obviously can't count on 4th-7th rounders to fix a position (although Dennard has been a great surprise) My point was the pats clearly suck at drafting CBs, so the only real way to fix it will be the FA route.

They were late rounders, but you obviously can't count on 4th-7th rounders to fix a position (although Dennard has been a great surprise) My point was the pats clearly suck at drafting CBs, so the only real way to fix it will be the FA route.

The only position that the Pats clearly suck at drafting is WR.

They do a pretty good job with DBs overall in my opinion.

Really? In the BB era...

2012- Dennard, Ebner, Wilson- So far, very good
2011- Dowling & Williams- So far, below average
2010- McCourty- So far, not played to 1st Rd grade
2009-Chung & Butler- So far, have not played to their draft grades
2008-Wheatley & Willhite- Disaster.
2007-Merriweather & Richardson- Below expectations
2006-Willie Andrews- Good STer. Liked hanging around U Lowell to much.
2005-Hobbs and James Sanders- For a 3rd and 4th rder, This was fine.
2004-Scott, Reid & Morton. Awful
2003- Geno Wilson & Asante- Excellent.
2002-None
2001- Brock Williams & Leonard Myers. Awful
2000-Antwan Harris- Meh. Good STer

In 12 years in which a DB was drafted, I see mostly not very good but could be ok compared to the rest of the league.

Drafting is such a crap shoot...

Few things are more obvious than how smart wrapping up Kong & Aaron the Navigator was.

It need hardly be "explained."

Yeah, why bother even giving the FO some credit after that performance from Gronk yesterday. We should bash them for not fixing this secondary and why we are only 5-3

Yeah, that's what I said!! You bet!!
jester.gif

Criticising OTG for being a Front Office basher is well wide of the mark, he's probably the biggest homer on this site. For example, he predicted we'll win every game for the next five years or something.

Righteous!! :rocker:

Thanks, Brother Manx. :cool:

But I'm actually far more objective than most people seem to think ~ or so I like to imagine. :p

Evaluating Cb is probably imo the toughest positions by far. For the simple draft couch expert in this forum you see a lot of guys hit it out of the park when evaluating dline and oline as well as lb and wr.

I think the Patriots will eventually get it. It wasn't too long ago that people were saying Bill doesn't know how to draft LB's and now we have a 3 outstanding trio going. Pass rusher? In comes Chandler Jones. Maybe he'll get another one but I think people are warming up to Ninkovich(2009 free agent) and Jermaine Cunningham.

A lot of people were po'd about BB drafting TE's and low and behold now we have 2 of the studliest ones around. And 6 more just to be sure? Rbs? I think everyone is happy with the way that has turned out.

I believe Bill will fix this secondary and I don't think it will be long. He's struck out but he is gonna keep trying until he finds his gems. Whether that is through free agency or the draft that remains to be seen. I don't think he going to land a finnegan or revis for top dollar cuz that will destroy the financial structure of the team. But I do believe he may pull something out of his hat by getting a fading capable star that wants to play for a championship where it won't be for just the money.

Give it time, BB has always proved the doubters wrong and this will be no different.

Evaluating Cb is probably imo the toughest positions by far. For the simple draft couch expert in this forum you see a lot of guys hit it out of the park when evaluating dline and oline as well as lb and wr.

I think the Patriots will eventually get it. It wasn't too long ago that people were saying Bill doesn't know how to draft LB's and now we have a 3 outstanding trio going. Pass rusher? In comes Chandler Jones. Maybe he'll get another one but I think people are warming up to Ninkovich(2009 free agent) and Jermaine Cunningham.

A lot of people were po'd about BB drafting TE's and low and behold now we have 2 of the studliest ones around. And 6 more just to be sure? Rbs? I think everyone is happy with the way that has turned out.

I believe Bill will fix this secondary and I don't think it will be long. He's struck out but he is gonna keep trying until he finds his gems. Whether that is through free agency or the draft that remains to be seen. I don't think he going to land a finnegan or revis for top dollar cuz that will destroy the financial structure of the team. But I do believe he may pull something out of his hat by getting a fading capable star that wants to play for a championship where it won't be for just the money.

Give it time, BB has always proved the doubters wrong and this will be no different.

Until the Mayo pick, Belichick had pretty much never used first or second round picks on linebackers. Same thing with pass-rusher. So it doesn't really come as a surprise that he didn't hit on those positions often. As soon as he started going after those kinds of players in the early rounds, he hit the jackpot. At tight-end, neither Watson or Graham were ever superstars, but they were solid players. I don't think they were worth the picks used on them in the draft, but they weren't outright terrible. Defensive back, though, is a different story. How many picks in the first three rounds were used on the secondary in the last 5 seasons? How many of those guys have become good NFL players? How many turned out to be horrible? Belichick has taken a lot of chances on defensive backs early in the draft, he's just missed with most of them.

Last edited:
Again, it's a tough position to evaluate, but yeah he has struck out some. but I do consider McCourty solid despite some of his troubles and Wilson has been a nice find thus far.

I do sometimes wonder what it was like for secondary players to play along side Ty Law and Rodney Harrison. I can imagine it was like having coaching 24/7 being able to pick a brain just hanging out. Emulating their play on the practice field.

This secondary doesn't have that luxury so they will have to learn on the fly. Got to wonder what Gay or Earthwind would of done if drafted to this current roster. Leadership means a lot.

It's still early but it looks like a solid offseason.

The team's main concern was the secondary, and it still remains to be seen if Dennard and one of Wilson/Gregory can become reliable options at their positions. If that happens, the secondary may still need work but at least it's considerable progress. The issues we had would have been very difficult to patch up in one offseason, but if we scored 2 guys that can play starter snaps at a reasonable level it's a success.

It looks like Lloyd is going to help this offense alot and fills a need.

Jones/Hightower are meeting or exceeding expectations thus far.

If Ninko and Cunningham continues their play of recent weeks it'll lessen the blow of the Fanene/Scott failures. Even moreso if Bequette can contribute anything.

Dennard is far and above where he was drafted at. You would be blind to not acknowledge that. He is a late 1st to 2nd round talent. Only a fool would say that he is bad. Sure, he made mistakes, but, for where he was drafted at...he is an outright STEAL!

Last edited:

Really you think the pats are good at drafting DB's. ARE you Serious? I almost spit my drink out when i read that. Give me the names, i'll spot you mccourty and asante samual. Dennard its early yet, i want to see more. Wait, do mean in the Fairbanks era Haynes and claiborn? or the Parcells era Law and Malloy.

Last edited:
I give the FO an A-, the problem is they have to face reality regarding the CB position:

1) If you want a top 20 CB that can actually cover, you're going to have to overpay. Brandon Carr and Cortland Finnegan for example, would be helping this team big time right now, but they were too expensive.

2.) Stop drafting these shoulda coulda woulda 2nd round CBs. Butler played at UConn but he must be nasty, Wheatley was injury prone in college but he must be nasty, ditto Dowling.

I just never see the CB situation fixed if they dont dish out money.

This years draft was one already one of BB's best. Already making dividends. I cannot fault BB for this draft at all. Pretty damn good IMO!

Really you think the pats are good at drafting DB's. ARE you Serious? I almost spit my drink out when i read that. Give me the names, i'll spot you mccourty and asante samual. Dennard its early yet, i want to see more.

Mangina was a great secondary coach. Sans the Judas part. He knew what the ***** he was doing back there at least.

I would would have laughed if someone told me 4 years ago that the patriots would have a difficult time replacing asante samuel.

The front office can't find good secondary talent like they used to.

Last edited:
4. The number of FA signees who have actually had an impact.

DFells - no
M Hoo hoo - no
VShianco - no
Bobby Carpenter - no
Ballard - no
M Cole - No (but on the rise)

I think the expected impact of the above signings weren't real high to begin with. But with that said, Fells has made a couple nice catches, Manawanu... has made couple real nice blocks as a full back, Carpenter has made some real nice special teams tackles, Ballard was not expected to play this year, Cole has been in my eyes really good as the slot corner and Shiancoe may yet contribute after he gets off IR.

To say that these guys on the whole have not made an impact is a bit unfair I think. They've come in as low budget FA's and have made contributions when asked.

Have you had your vision checked recently? :eek:

I am so very very glad that we locked up Gronk and Hernandez as they look like keepers and solid contributors . . . and have both had great first two years, so its not like they will be just a rookie sensation and then taper off the rest of thier stay in NE . . . I think they will very likely continue to contribute at a high level . . .

However, as for the OP points regarding our draft of a TE and impact on the league . . . Indy did run a two TE set with Dallas Clark as the veristale TE, but i do think our TE dou will have more impact on the leaque . . . with the advent of the passing game, its nice to be able to run a two TE set, and still have a passing threat out of a two TE set which will help our run game . . .so we can have a formation that is conducive to a run game but have the talent at TE to still make a very potent passing threat . . . in the recent years past we could not really have a formation that could be a duel threat . . .

Also, we did try this before with a blocking/catching TE and an athlete at other TE back in 02 and 03 when, in the first rounds, we drafted Watson and Graham . . . and too bad they did not pan out like Hernandez and Gronk . . . can you imagine Gronk and Hernandez on teh 02-09 teams :eek:, so this is not our first go around with trying to have two great and complimentary TEs on the team . ..

So for me, I am glad that they guys have turned out great, and we got two guy at a reduce rate in the draft, they have turned out beyond what we hoped and are locked into contracts for many years to come . . . its makes for a very bright future . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes