PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Fresno connection & the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyeMan

Rookie
Reaction score
Hey all - Long time poster here going back to 1999 when the board looked a lot different...kudos to you Ian!

I have been reading a lot of the draftnik sites including Patriots.com and most have us taking the Fresno St. CB (Richard Marshall) at #21 in the 1st round of the upcoming draft.

For those of you that have no idea of who this kid is, there is a website http://www.draftshowcase.com/multimediapage.htm that has a great highlights video on him...

Aftering watching it, I do hope we take him if he is still hanging around at #21!

Last edited:
Patriots.com said they think Marshall would be a possibility if none of the linebackers the Patriots want were on the board. I read their Combine stuff and it appears the team really likes him. It could be a situation where they move down a few slots and pick up an extra middle round selection. He led Fresno State in tackles last year and had three picks for touchdowns in his career, a school record, so he is an interesting prospect. Patriots.com actually has a few more possibilities at 21 that they just posted today. I like Manny Lawson as well. He seems like he would be a good fit as a 3-4 edge rusher.

I know it's a highlight video but one thing you can tell by watching that video is that guy is one physical corner. That tackle where he picked up the RB and slammed him to the ground was great.

check out most mocks, and u'll see that he's a second rounder

Aside from being able to hit, he may help solve a couple areas of need. He'd not only help bolster our secondary but also shore up special teams. Like BB always says, "the more you do, the more you do". Come to think of it, he also says stuff like "it is what it is". Can anyone sense a pattern here? :D

patsfan55 said:

Okay...

...and where was Mankins projected last year?

patsfan55 said:

This isn't relevant. At this point, it's MORE the norm that the Patriots take guys earlier than they are projected. It's based on how BB/Pioli value them more than relative value.

patsfan55 said:

Who really cares what mock drafts say. Did mock drafts have the Saints trading up to take Jonathan Sullivan at 6 a couple of years ago? Did any mock draft on the planet have Quincey Carter going in the second round? Did any mock drafts have the Patriots picking a tight end in the first round for the second time in three years when they selected Watson? Well, if mock drafts say it then it must be true because guys sitting at home in their parent's basement must know what they are talking about.

RyeMan said:
I have been reading a lot of the draftnik sites including Patriots.com and most have us taking the Fresno St. CB (Richard Marshall) at #21 in the 1st round of the upcoming draft.

this is why i posted the fact that most mocks have him going in the second
i was simply correcting the original post that most mocks have us taking him

i completely agree with all of you that we def could take a guy mocks have goin in the second
although since we are a lot higher in the first rd this yr, instead of having practically a second rder, we could trade back, which is what i think and hope we do

I like Marshall and I wouldn't be horrified if we took him. I still want a RT, though, to protect the Ferrari we have at QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back