Welcome to PatsFans.com

The free press and the internet

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 30, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +479 / 18 / -17

I have a friend who works for the Boston Herald, who I was discussing the future of newspapers with. This thread is based on that discussion.

In recent years, both tv news and print media have faced major competition from the internet. The number of people who read newspapers and watch tv news has significantly declined, and so has ad revenue. The loss of revenue has led to a reduction in staffing, and there is less original content (i.e., more articles from AP) and less investigative journalism. So, the result is our media is less able to dig deep into stories, have a single reporter working for a long time on a particular story, or even have a reporter follow a speculative lead. The result is that our news media is less effective in its role of keeping government, business, unions, and other groups honest, and less effective at reporting stories objectively. Too often, the media merely relies on quotes and comments from talking heads, who usually do not give the whole story.

I think this is a serious problem, and don't know what the solution is. Perhaps in time the problem will solve itself. Any thoughts?

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +969 / 2 / -9

My stupid thoughts are, "we now know all the little things the newspapers didn't want us to know"

The NY Times can feed us all the Left Wing Socialst Crap they want to but when we get through reading it we can go to the Internet and see "The Other Side" they don't like that.

Newspapers have always Preached "Freedom Of Speech" but it always depended on who was giving the speech, times are changing.

Chavez Is "Closing Up" his country's free speech.

3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

We're in a new age, Pat. The "information age" has grown up. Now we don't need talking heads or even the mega-resources of the "Gray Lady" or the Washington Past. Interesting that CBSNBCABC all lost their long-time anchors within one year -- might be a signal there, I don't know.

Result is we now have myriads of sources of information -- that's the good news; the bad news is it is up to each one of us to evaluate this sudden plethora of news. Hm-m-m. How does one go about evaluating all this information???

Well, it would help to have a set of guiding principles about life, I would venture. Now where can we find something like that, I wonder... ??

//

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

What makes the internet better than one paper, is that on any given morning I can review the headlines of about 50 different newspapers, blogs and media services. A viewer can see both sides of the story and come to their own opinion, no longer will there be one newspaper as the info tends to be one sided, instead there will be more of a balance. Personally I still get the ProJo, as even though I read it on line, there is a lot of stuff in the paper I still pay attention to that I do not on line.

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +479 / 18 / -17

I get about half my news from the internet and half from newspapers. What newspapers provide that the internet does not is a more natural compendium of all news. On the internet, I tend to read only the stories I want, but with the newspaper, I flip through all pages at least skimming every article. Pick up any newspaper and count then number of stories you did not see on the web. I think many people would be very surprised.

But, again, what's missing are indepth stories that rely on more than just what some important person says. On tv, journalists have largely been replaced with comentators who are often no clever than any of us. In the print media, reporters merely regurgitate what someone tells them, rather than investigate the details or find their own stories.

I think the internet is great in many ways, especially since it probably brings news and information to an audience some of whom never read newspapers or paid attention to television news. That said, something important is lost, namely an independent media that can help keep our institutions honest.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +969 / 2 / -9

COURIC HITS NEW ALL-TIME LOW FOR 'CBS EVENING NEWS'

VIEWERS, WEEK OF 5/21/07
    ABC: 7,780,000
    NBC: 7,190,000
    CBS: 5,960,000
    http://www.drudgereport.com/

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sounds to me like you're just another liberal terrified of the fact that you and your people no longer control society's access to information.

If it wasn't for the internet, we would have never heard of Monica Lewinsky (thank you, matt Drudge) and Dan Rather would still be gainfully employed at CBS. So don't give me any bullsh*t about how "our news media is less effective in its role of keeping government, business, unions, and other groups honest."

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +707 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

:)

I'm fine with the disappearance of the media as we've seen it. There's plenty of interest in good reporting whatever the media that is used, newspaper, magazine, internet, whatever. It's not a concern unless you are worried (like Patters) about losing the status quo in reporting.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +824 / 7 / -2

I think journalism as a whole has suffered over the last 15-20 years. People just report without checking facts, and by the time the real news gets out, there are 1,000 tinfoil hats being worn, and urban legends become gospel. Working your way through the cluster fugg of crap that is in the news is a must now. You have to read as many sources as is humanly possible, as integrity in the media was lost a long, long time ago. Personally, I feel bad for newspapers, as I grew up on reading them. However, that's life.

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +479 / 18 / -17

That's not my point, and your view seems parochial. First, let's remember that most news isn't political. I doubt if that kind of news represents more than 10% of any newspaper (outside it's editorial pages), but maybe you don't read about business, sports, entertainment, science, local news, and so on. The internet news is fine, and Drudgereport, Rawstory, HuffingtonPost, and others play a legitimate role, but they're not the same as a newspaper or tv station that can afford to hire investigative journalists who may spend weeks or even months investigating a single issue. Also, let's remember than many of our best newspapers are conservative -- including the Wall Street Journal and Washington Times, and many of these have laid off people too. Newspapers like the Boston Herald are an important conservative voice for working people, and if they fold it actually plays to advantage of liberal newspapers like the Globe.

News today consists of talking heads or of rather shallow stories where the facts aren't thoroughly investigated. Drudge may suit your political aims, but perhaps that's all you're interested in. Maybe you're not interested in learning.

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like I said before... Sounds to me like you're just another liberal terrified of the fact that you and your people no longer control society's access to information.

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

there will always be print media, as people want their morning paper, or to read the news at Dunkin Donuts, etc. ....

every print media source you see has an ever-developing web site all its own... the stories that appear on there are done by the same reporters who are held to the same standards... they still have to dig deep, and answer to their editors... the product is actually even better, because good web sites allow for reader comments for all to see and hold the reporters accountable...

the reduction in print media resources affects only the production people... the designers, print press men, circulation, mail room, etc. ... jobs are certainly being lost, but the quality of the reports has not diminished...

the paranoid who insist there's a vast liberal conspiracy in their daily newspaper really have no clue how a newsroom works, or the mission statement by which journalists adhere... and such paranoid people would probably not benefit anything from the therapy they so desperately need...

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +707 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Cute liberal talking point but most of "Drudge" is links to the newpaper articles whose loss you are bemoaning.

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +479 / 18 / -17

Why in the world would I be terrified? Bush is widely regarded as the worse president ever in this new age. We're going to see an immigration amnesty. Democrats control both houses of Congress. Massachusetts has universal health care and gay marriage. Conservatives have always had a strong voice in our country, but in the end they always lose. They may delay civil rights, women's rights, gay rights, abortion, social welfare, etc. every now and then, but the fact is conservatives always lose in the long run. Even with today's new media.

15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +707 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

:bricks:

Up until "gay rights" you had me. And you just went downhill from there.

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +479 / 18 / -17

I already acknowledged that Drudge plays a legitimate role. I'm not opposing the internet information sources in any way; I'm simply bemoaning the fact that too much of journalism has been replaced with talking heads and superficiality.

17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like I said before... Sounds to me like you're just another liberal terrified of the fact that you and your people no longer control society's access to information.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +479 / 18 / -17

Well, your point doesn't make sense. Ignorance, I think, tends to make people more conservative--more fearful of the unknown, while knowledge tends to make people more liberal. I very much welcome the internet and think its generally a liberalizing force. The fact that people like us are talking is a good example of that liberalizing force. For instance, like it or not, I suspect some of you are becoming a little more tolerant of gays, though your core values probably have not changed.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +707 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I don't think so. Neither are the many kids, from my experience, that the Libs claim. But keep saying it, maybe someone will believe you.

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +479 / 18 / -17

Oh, things have certainly changed. Young people today for the most part don't even regard it as much of an issue. They don't really care who someone sleeps with. But, here's an article that provides some polling data:

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=273

As the polls results show, the more anti-gay crowd is slowly dying of old age.

Like I said, I think the new media has been liberalizing and don't see any basis for QuiGon's point that liberals are terrified of the new media.