The Four Phases of the Free Agent Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
BEFORE THE START
We sign as many of our own as we can. This year we signed Don Davis, Hawkins, Poteat and Tucker.

ONE - NOW
This is when the big money get spent. The patriots rarely participate except to try to retain their own.

TWO - THE THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE DRAFT
The patriots often sign several free agents before the draft, some mid-level and some jags. Our principle is that the team is ready to play, counting on no rookies. Sometimes we sign an RFA or two, usually not worth the effort.
-----------------------------------------------
Who is drafted (and who is not) often spotlights remaining opportunites for improving the 53.
THREE - BETWEEN THE DRAFT AND TRAINING CAMP
This is a great time to pick up a great value in a mid-level or top free agent, especially from the group being cut after June 1 and before camp. In any case, we always pick up a few, usually jags. I suspect that we might find an impact player here this year.

FOUR - THE LAST GASP
There are opportunities as the end of the preseason approaches, and many cuts are made. This period lasts for two weeks into the season, as teams adjust and re-adjust.

mgteich said:
BEFORE THE START
We sign as many of our own as we can. This year we signed Don Davis, Hawkins, Poteat and Tucker.

ONE - NOW
This is when the big money get spent. The patriots rarely participate except to try to retain their own.

TWO - THE THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE DRAFT
The patriots often sign several free agents before the draft, some mid-level and some jags. Our principle is that the team is ready to play, counting on no rookies. Sometimes we sign an RFA or two, usually not worth the effort.
Who is drafted (and who is not) often spotlights remaining opportunites for improving the 53.
THREE - BETWEEN THE DRAFT AND TRAINING CAMP
This is a great time to pick up a great value in a mid-level or top free agent, especially from the group being cut after June 1 and before camp. In any case, we always pick up a few, usually jags. I suspect that we might find an impact player here this year.

FOUR - THE LAST GASP
There are opportunities as the end of the preseason approaches, and many cuts are made. This period lasts for two weeks into the season, as teams adjust and re-adjust.

Good Post thats what they usually do so people be patient.

Excellent post.

I'd like to add the four stages of the free agency market for fans:

Denial

Rage

Grief

Acceptance

Some of us have followed this team long enough to attain step four quickly. To the others, things will be fine.

GREAT POST..although I think more phases...

I agree with that except I think there are more phases of FA....8
FIRST Phase-----late January/early Feb...Free agents signed that have been cut earlier, injured or out of football. This happens every year and 8-10 players are signed. It's mostly from this bunch that NFLEs are from. (Pats always signed a few..look-sees at camp and NFLE prospects.)
SECOND Phase-----February-early March Pre-FA period...Practice squad players are res-gned if wanted, ERFAs, RFAs tendered and vets resigned. (Pats always get a few vets signed as well as others who will be in camp.)
THIRD PHASE-----March, first two weeks of FA..This is where the bucks go flying and the money hits hard. All the big bucks are spent. A quick first wave..also some vets resigned. (Last year, the Pats threw some money 1st day to DMason, although he picked teh Ravens..great choice.. First player resigned was KFaulk..Day 5??)
FOURTH PHASE-----A two week period after the first wave hits...sort of when the 2nd tiered players look to get signed and others. (I believe that it was this period that both Colvin and Harrison were signed a few years ago.)
(Patriots are active in this phase depnding on needs and who is left.)
FIFTH PHASE-----2-3 weeks befowre the draft...Signing up payers to fill in RFAs etc..ABSOLUTELY correct..to have a team fielded before the draft with players in all positions.
SIXTH PHASE-----Right after the draft. This is the UDFA phase of signing players..usually 10 or so...tryouts for others..for the rookie training camp with the draftees the weekend or two after the draft early May.
SEVENTH PHASE-----After the draft and before training camp..AGREED!!!!Again a time to fill in for vet players and players cut before June 1st. usually there are some vets that are brought in at this time. (Pats have had some good luck with some vets late..but it really depends on the market and who is available.)
EIGHTH PHASE-----The Last Gasp Agreed...adjustments in camp and a few weeks into the season..tweakings of players needed...Ted Washington (although a trade), Larry Centers...on the up Stubblefield, Williams on the down. Sometimes it works..sometimes not.

I* think it's important to understand what is going on in each and how the Pats use the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes