PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Four Guys Who Sat In Front Of Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to log in and voice my agreement with the original poster. I disagree that fans can "watch the game as they like." I'm trying to think of a good example to make, and the only one I can think of is this:

At Boston College, there's an area of student housing called "The Mods". It's a bunch of "temporary" modular suites that sit in the main residential area of the campus, near the stadium. They have traditionally been the main social scene at BC, and the expectation was that if you lived in the Mods, you would do your part to host parties, tailgates, etc.

Occasionally, you would have people who would get a good lottery pick for housing, and they would say "oh, I can't wait...we're going to have a mod!" to which others would say, "Great! Ready to throw some good parties?" to which they would say, "oh no! We don't want that! We'll just go to other people's mods and let them throw the parties!"

Red flag. These people would be vilified, and rightly so. Living in the Mods comes with that expectation that you are fulfilling a very specific and important role in the student community. If you weren't prepared to play that role, then f&%k off and go live in some other area of the campus. You don't live in the Mods because it's the cool place to be, you live in the Mods to be a part of fulfilling the reasons *why* it is the cool place to be.

This is the same thing with going to a Patriots game. Stadium noise and fan support are very real advantages, and the "Gillette isn't designed for sound" excuse doesn't cut it. It isn't a "get out of jail" free pass. Going to a game is a privilege, but that privilege comes with a responsibility of fandom: to be attentive to the game, to be loudly supportive, and to stick with your team to the end (especially if the game is close).

It doesn't mean you have to be a boor or a drunk. It does mean you have to care enough to be a part of the spectacle, even if it isn't your natural inclination (which it isn't for me, but I'm as loud as anyone on the occasions I get to go to a game). Going to the game and using it as a backdrop for your own idleness is an insult to the many passionate fans who would love to be at the stadium and a disservice to the team whose members have said time and again how much they feed off the energy of a rowdy home crowd.

I think you want to live in a perfect world.
I would agree with everything you say, but many people would not.
A lot of people felt partying was a crucial part of college, and others did not. You can hope that the party houses work out the way you want, but you cant very well say that someone who doesnt share the partying attitude doesnt have a right to be there.
Same with Gilette. It would be great for all hard core fans if only hard core fans attended. But that is not realistic. You cant keep the guy who likes to go but likes to be quiet out of the game. In a perfect world you could, only because he wouldnt exist.

I am the farthest thing you will ever find from a liberal, but I find it ignorant when people think that someone who doesnt act the way I think they are supposed to act isnt allowed in the room.

It is funny that the most viewed active thread is a topic about four underachieving fat guys who's performance lacked any passion or agressiveness in the opening game and it isn't even about the Chiefs' defensive line.

Matt Light on WEEI just challenged the fans on Sunday to make noise.

It is funny that the most viewed active thread is a topic about four underachieving fat guys who's performance lacked any passion or agressiveness in the opening game and it isn't even about the Chiefs' defensive line.

ba-dum *ching*!!

I think you want to live in a perfect world.
I would agree with everything you say, but many people would not.
A lot of people felt partying was a crucial part of college, and others did not. You can hope that the party houses work out the way you want, but you cant very well say that someone who doesnt share the partying attitude doesnt have a right to be there.
Same with Gilette. It would be great for all hard core fans if only hard core fans attended. But that is not realistic. You cant keep the guy who likes to go but likes to be quiet out of the game. In a perfect world you could, only because he wouldnt exist.

I am the farthest thing you will ever find from a liberal, but I find it ignorant when people think that someone who doesnt act the way I think they are supposed to act isnt allowed in the room.

I hate sitting near those folks that perfer to sit on their hands throughout the game - and lets be real - these folks usually dont know what's going on. Quite frankly, I feel obligated to remind such folks about what they are viewing.

This is the ONE thing I miss about the old Foxboro. Crowd noise, crowd passion. Gillette? Not so much.

This is the ONE thing I miss about the old Foxboro. Crowd noise, crowd passion. Gillette? Not so much.

your forgetting the aluminum benches

Last edited:
I hate sitting near those folks that perfer to sit on their hands throughout the game - and lets be real - these folks usually dont know what's going on. Quite frankly, I feel obligated to remind such folks about what they are viewing.

I feel obligated to remind you that you sound like a douchebag.

mind your own business, granny.

I feel obligated to remind you that you sound like a douchebag.

mind your own business, granny.

So I take it you go to the games and sit on your hands? :confused: :D

I just hope you aren't like some on here - who in the past have stated that they only cheer or make noise when the team gives them a reason to cheer. In other words only when the team "desrves" it and not when they need it.

Either way calling someone a douchebag makes you look ridiculous. ;)

So I take it you go to the games and sit on your hands? :confused: :D

I live in chicago, douchebag.

but I can still spot the obnoxious from way out here, even w/o binoculars.

I live in chicago, douchebag.

but I can still spot the obnoxious from way out here, even w/o binoculars.

Which explains a lot about your choice of words!

Obnoxious - do you not see the irony? :bricks:

Which explains a lot about your choice of words!

:confused:

I strongly suspect you don't have advanced degrees from prestigious universities.

When you pays your money you can do what you pleeze. If I opt not to cheer and wear a players numbered jersey/hat/jockstrap as long as I don't bother the patrons around me, "what's wrong with that". To quote Newmie. Too many goddam people with no f**king lives trying to tell everyone else what to do.

I strongly suspect you don't have advanced degrees from prestigious universities.

That's gonna be the punchline to every joke around here now.

Thanks, nepatz11.

nepatz11,

Why didn't you just tell these foolios to get the **** UP!, cheer! or switch seats with you if they were gunna be sitting the whole time?

"I'll make you a deal....start getting loud....or get the **** behind me so I don't have to look at your non-supporting backsides......NOW"

Err, naws I don't, does you?

WTF - I don't get how that is funny given the context of our conversation? :confused:

I tend to pick up on jokes easily but ol' boy yous has got me stumped thsi time!!!

Err, naws I don't, does you?

WTF - I don't get how that is funny given the context of our conversation? :confused:

I tend to pick up on jokes easily but ol' boy yous has got me stumped thsi time!!!

You need to check some of the quotes on page 1 of this thread and you'll get it.

BTW, it was a VERY advanced degree, I believe.

You need to check some of the quotes on page 1 of this thread and you'll get it.

BTW, it was a VERY advanced degree, I believe.

I know about the OP putting that in his post. But I still don't get what that has to do with my discussion with EOM. So I guess I fail to see how that joke fits. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back