A lot of praise has been given to BB and Scott Pioli over the past

few years for their success in producing the Patriot's dynasty. Their

best decision was the selection of Tom Brady in the sixth round of

the 2000 draft. What we may have forgotten is the person who lobbied

so hard for them to draft Tom, **** Rehbein. **** knew that Tom was

going to be something special. Without **** there may have been no

dynasty.

Here here!

I wonder if there's a **** Rehbein award that could be created... I'd say it shoud go to an exec who makes a savvy move like that but today's front office hero could be tomorrow's Bobby Grier (sorry Bobby...)

Perhaps its just a Coach/Scout of the Year Award for the Patriots organization... I assume Rehbein is a fitting choice for such an posthumous honor, though all I know about him is that his players spoke highly of him as a QB coach, and of course, he made a VERY good draft recommendation.

I'd expect he had to also fight hard to make sure the team kept Brady on the active roster that year as well, carrying 4 QBs knowing full well how that would impact team depth in 2000.

I believe he was the quaterback coach in 2001 when we won the superbowl. I recall he died during training camp that year.

You make a very good point. I'm sure Scott and Bill would say the same if we were able to ask them. And I've heard Tommy say how much **** helped him develop.

Unfortunately, I think we fans and the press so forget. Thanks for reminding us.

Dunno, personally I'd hate to receive the "**** Rehbein award".

JoeSixPat said:
I hope you're joking.
Alright I remember him a bit now that somebody mentions him, the guy before Hufnagel... I still never thought he was anything special though. And I find it hard to believe a positional coach has much input on draft picks.

drew4008 said:
Alright I remember him a bit now that somebody mentions him, the guy before Hufnagel... I still never thought he was anything special though. And I find it hard to believe a positional coach has much input on draft picks.

They have considerable input. **** talked BB into taking Brady vs some other QB stump whom I forget. If you read the Pats books, BB insists that everyone analyze film and players and produce opinions. Defensible opinions backed by citing facts, examples and defending their point of view under critical analysis.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Dunno, personally I'd hate to receive the "**** Rehbein award".

I take it you're being facetious because of the name "****"?

Like I said I don't know much more about the guy aside from the fact that BB & Tom Brady have both waxed poetic about what he meant to them and the team, so they might tend to disagree with you that getting an award named in **** Rehbein's honor is something to be avoided.

JoeSixPat said:
I take it you're being facetious because of the name "****"?

Like I said I don't know much more about the guy aside from the fact that BB & Tom Brady have both waxed poetic about what he meant to them and the team, so they might tend to disagree with you that getting an award named in **** Rehbein's honor is something to be avoided.

No, I'd just prefer not to get the 'Rehbein Award' q.v. dying of a massive coronary.

Hoodie said:
You make a very good point. I'm sure Scott and Bill would say the same if we were able to ask them. And I've heard Tommy say how much **** helped him develop.

Unfortunately, I think we fans and the press so forget. Thanks for reminding us.

On the contrary, I don't recall ever reading about Pioli or Belichick giving credit to Rehbein for "discovering" Brady.

If I remember correctly from one of the books, Pioli and Belichick were choosing between Tim Rattay and Brady, and it was Rehbein who nudged them toward Brady in the end.

BB had identified two potential day 2 QB's as possible future upgrades to Damon Huard as Bledsoe's backup. Rehbein was dispatched to conduct personal workouts with each. On his return he told BB that Brady was clearly the better of the two and the one he would recommend. Based on his report alone BB concurred.

As day 2 of the draft unfolded reportedly Rehbein pled for Brady to be taken, and when they got to pick #199 with Brady still on the board, BB decided there was too much value there to pass on him yet again. He was amazed he had not gone earlier. Apparently Rehbein was too. As the positional coach for QB's he likely had significant input into Brady leapfrogging the veteran Huard as the backup in 2001.

In Rehbein's absence in 2002 Belioli drafted QB Rohan Davey in the 4th.

Just sayin'....

Last edited:
mikey said:
On the contrary, I don't recall ever reading about Pioli or Belichick giving credit to Rehbein for "discovering" Brady.

If I remember correctly from one of the books, Pioli and Belichick were choosing between Tim Rattay and Brady, and it was Rehbein who nudged them toward Brady in the end.

I laughed when I saw Jimke's thread because I expected that no one would need a reminder about Rehbein's role in Patriots history... guess I was wrong

It was a pretty common story line during the 2001 season - in fact I kindof thought they repeated it over and over, and then the national press took hold of it during the Super Bowl week as well, which is why I'm a bit surprised that people don't know who **** Rehbein was, let alone what he meant to Brady and the team.

http://www.s-t.com/daily/10-01/10-22-01/c12sp098.htm

Bill Belichick said:
"When I think about this game and two of the key players, David Patten and Tom Brady, probably the guy that's most responsible for both those players being here is **** Rehbein," Belichick said.

Brady himself has gone into great detail about what an influence Rehbein was and how he motivated him... its very much implied that Rehbein is the one who convinced BB to keep 4 QBs on the roster too

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/04/60minutes/main1014961.shtml

In fact its something that was still being talked about leading up to the SB XXXIX in 2005 so I guess memories really ARE short

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/oconnor/2005-01-31-oconnor_x.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6904721/

mikey said:

I think BB and Scott would give credit to Rehbein, Weiss and a number of unnamed scouts because they view it as a team that scouts and makes decisions on players. Just because you haven't read it doesn't mean they wouldn't. Rehbein's family received his SB ring so the team must have thought he contributed something.

Just an idea

Why don't we here at Patsfan.com vote on the MVP of the Patriots. We will call it the **** Rehbein Award.

Once we name the winner we will encourage people, on this board and through the media, to make a donation to the American Heart Association inthe name of the **** Rehbein Award winner.

Could be for any amount that people decide to send in. We won't suggest any amount be donated.

What do you think?
EDIT: Maybe there is already a **** Rehbein Award? We chould check it out if we decide to go forward.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
Why don't we here at Patsfan.com vote on the MVP of the Patriots. We will call it the **** Rehbein Award.

Once we name the winner we will encourage people, on this board and through the media, to make a donation to the American Heart Association inthe name of the **** Rehbein Award winner.

Could be for any amount that people decide to send in. We won't suggest any amount be donated.

What do you think?
EDIT: Maybe there is already a **** Rehbein Award? We chould check it out if we decide to go forward.

It strikes me more of an "unsung hero" award... and probably more appropriate for the staff than players

That being the case I'd think it make the most sense if the players voted on it rather than the fans - because we just don't know what goes on behind the scenes as much as we'd like

JoeSixPat said:
It strikes me more of an "unsung hero" award... and probably more appropriate for the staff than players

That being the case I'd think it make the most sense if the players voted on it rather than the fans - because we just don't know what goes on behind the scenes as much as we'd like

I'll go for the unsung, that's a good idea. However, if we at this forum are going to do it, then the forum members should be the ones voting.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
BB had identified two potential day 2 QB's as possible future upgrades to Damon Huard as Bledsoe's backup. Rehbein was dispatched to conduct personal workouts with each. On his return he told BB that Brady was clearly the better of the two and the one he would recommend. Based on his report alone BB concurred.

As day 2 of the draft unfolded reportedly Rehbein pled for Brady to be taken, and when they got to pick #199 with Brady still on the board, BB decided there was too much value there to pass on him yet again. He was amazed he had not gone earlier. Apparently Rehbein was too. As the positional coach for QB's he likely had significant input into Brady leapfrogging the veteran Huard as the backup in 2001.

In Rehbein's absence in 2002 Belioli drafted QB Rohan Davey in the 4th.

Just sayin'....

Huard was on the Dolphins in 2000, when Brady was drafted. He wasn't signed until April of 2001.

In 2000, the Pats had Friesz and Bishop (and Brady) backing up Blesdoe.

I like that thought..

Rehbein was highly thought of by the players and coaches,thats a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes