Welcome to PatsFans.com

The first of many.......

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Feb 15, 2009.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

My Way News - Man hoping to get fired allegedly trashes eatery

Man hoping to get fired allegedly trashes eatery

With the unending extention of unemployment benefits, and now some of them being "untaxes" more and more, low wage earners are going to try and get fired. Hell if I was working at McDonalds, I get fired, and then turn around and work "under the table" some place else. I wonder how many crack dealers are currently collecting unemployment?

As always, when you remove the incentives to being productive, people will tend to be unproductive.

The Obama Presidency may finally doom this nation, one month in, 3 TRILLION SPENT.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,126 / 3 / -10

3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I don't know about Wisconsin,, but here in Pennsylvania you can't collect UC if you are fired for cause, and trashing your place of employment qualifies in most states (I'm not sure about California) as fired for cause...........

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

That's exactly correct... Florida as well...

Conservative moderator, wtf are you talking about?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Same in Mass.

6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,040 / 15 / -8

This is just funny. You COULD make an actual argument about an observed pattern on a large enough scale that it is more than anecdotal to have the conversation.

But no, of course, we won't do that. We'll look for an anecdote that sums up the "principle" of the thing.

But noooo, we don't even get the anecdote right!

Color me unconvinced.

PFnV

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +570 / 22 / -19

To me this is classic right wing paranoia.

Some psychologists argue that there are healthy degrees of paranoia, and people who suffer those degrees of paranoia are likely to go into the police and the military. While the less paranoid person generally thinks "Nothing will happen to me," the paranoid person knows with certainty that the threat of terrorism, of murder, of rape, of child abuse are everywhere, so it's only natural they would worry disproportionately at the threat of unemployment abuse.

When I was unemployed years ago, I didn't enjoy it. I went out and looked for another job. Low income wage earners can barely get by on their low-income wages. Getting half that, they'll still be plenty motivated to search for work.

But, in any crowd there will always be a few losers. The police and investigators will do a good job tracking most of them down.

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Does everyone believe that people are gonig to be as stupid as this guy? Do you honestly beleive that everyone collecting unelmployment right now is not working working under the table someplace? I highly doubt anyone here does not know of at least one person tht has done this. I know of a guy who owned a landscaping company in MA, and he had his father as the paper owner, and he used to lay himself off each winter to collect unemployment. Teachers used to get in in the summers. Any welfare program such as this, while being well intentioned is ripe fot fraud and abuse. Where does this money come from? Well it comes from the very businesses that are taxed to create this slush fund.

The only thing that curtails most unemployment fraud, is that although they do not take taxes out when you get the checks, the tax on the money is due just te same at the end of the year. NOW with the Porkulous package, everyone can collect for about ten weeks, TAX FREE, and if you do not think that people are going to abuse this, your nuts.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +570 / 22 / -19

Sure there are people working under the table, and sure there are people who will abuse this. But, you know what, their are corrupt cops, corrupt business people, corrupt teachers, corrupt, politicians, corrupt ministers. Resign yourself to the fact that a tiny percent of people are going to significantly abuse the system. We need to stop them if we can, but it's most important that we take care of the people who do not abuse the system, and that's the vast majority.

10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You're still not addressing the FACT that you can't collect unemployment if you're fired for cause... There's a phone hearing, and the mediator won't side with you if the employer proves you were fired. Period.

Further, unemployment requires tax and tax forms... And is reported to the IRS.

I ask again: What are you talking about?

11. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

those lucky people on unemployment :rolleyes:

yeah, being on welfare, being on the dole, its just like living the life of Riley, per paranoid conservatives.

12. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,934 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

I know.

How can a MOD of all people, so dumb-down a forum? :)

Seriously, though, this guy just shoots whatever he has and hopes something sticks to the wall somehow. This is just the latest of several complete misinformation threads he has posted in the past few weeks. I find it hard to believe his goal for this forum would be misinformation.

Next he'll try to get us all to believe that the named beneficiaries of people who commit suicide can actually collect on the deceased's life insurance policies.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,040 / 15 / -8

"Not only can they, they do every day... even when they're not designated until after suicide. Here's how it works..."

14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

He baits, and then fires off infractions against posters who disagree with him.

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

"Knowing a guy" is further proof of another straw argument, anecdotal evidence does not prove anything.. many people hustle under the table to make a few bucks.. a huge issue right now is enforcement, as they do not have enough folks to take care of the claims.. never mind policing the folks collecting.

How will the $787 billion stimulus package affect you? - USATODAY.com

The stimulus bill provides for up to $2400 tax free and increase benefits to $25.00 per week..

In RI the max is $528 per week for unemployment, + 10.00 for every dependent.. many folks with mortgages, utilities, vehicles etc. mandatory insurance and basic stuff will have a hard time living off of this...

Nationally the average is about $270.00 per week..

A survival guide for the unemployed - MSN Money

One guy is not a trend.. hate to disagree with the Lord and Master of this board.. but another hysterical argument to a complex issue, relying on anecdotal information.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,126 / 3 / -10

You'll see them they are all over the big citys, during the summer they are all out on their front stairs wearing tank tops and sandals, while your out working your a$s off to pay their bills they "sell" some of their food stamps then buy some Gin and Wine and spend the day drinking smoking pot and having sex.
    :singing::singing:

AMERICA AMERICA
    GOD SHED HIS GRACE ON THEE

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Does this only happen in the city???

18. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

#80 Jersey

...and RI.

19. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

#80 Jersey

{Harryboy-Unplugged} Hell no!! The Naggers are everywhere!

GOD DAMN AMERICA!!!!​

/{Harryboy-unplugged}

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

You can't collect if you're fired. That being said, there are people who prefer to be laid off, and collect for 1-2 years, instead of actually working. Extending unemployment benefits too quickly is always a bad move. People get lazy, and take the money to stay home. Obviously not everyone, but most people without dependents do. People in the blue collar field especially like extended collecting, cuz they can work for cash on a day to day basis. In more difficult, or slower times, contractors almost prefer the ability to hire a guy or two, day to day, for cash, since it means no insurance, no payroll taxes, and no obligations beyond that work day. Residential clients don't mind paying in cash either, since it tends to save them 10-20% off the legitimate, pay by check price. Think about it, if tens of millions of illegals can work in this country without recourse, then why wouldn't actual legal residents be able to do the same, while collecting? Extending benefits is necessary, and I wouldn't say that it's not. I'm just pointing out the fact that extending them so early, or too often, does have negative ramifications too.