PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The first FA we sign will be????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ike Taylor. McCourty, Taylor on the outside with Bodden in the slot. IR Dowling becomes the 4th corner ( all press corners which help the pass rush ) with Arrington the Special Teams ace and 5th corner.

Darius Butler and Jonathan Wilhite don't make the roster.

Just a thought. ( and not sure Bodden can play inside).

Last edited:
Ike Taylor. McCourty, Taylor on the outside with Bodden in the slot. IR Dowling becomes the 4th corner ( all press corners which help the pass rush ) with Arrington the Special Teams ace and 5th corner.

Darius Butler and Jonathan Wilhite don't make the roster.

Just a thought. ( and not sure Bodden can play inside).

Don't follow Ike Taylor all that closely, but I hear his name on the wrong side of big plays somewhat often.

Don't follow Ike Taylor all that closely, but I hear his name on the wrong side of big plays somewhat often.

Tate blew past him once, but Brady didn't lead him nearly enough. Either way, I think the Pats are just fine at CB, considering that Arrington was the #2 last year and now has competition for the #3 spot.

Not that I'm very high on him but my prediction is the first 'big' NFL FA from another team the Pats sign will be Marcus Spears. Assuming he's fully healed, he may come as a pretty good bargain. He's had years experience in a 3-4 and is the classic guy who may need a change of scenery to live up to his 1st round expectations. He also may be the classic dude who never finds his way to success, but he's big, athletic, knows the game and once was considered a star to be.

I'd jump and scream for joy if the Pats made a play for Cullen Jenkins instead but I doubt will happen as Jenkins may get mega money.

I've been fixated on this for a while, because there's so little else to fixate on. Our first signing will no doubt be underwhelming and unexpected, but I'd like to see us make a run at DE/OLB Jason Babin. He had 12.5 sacks last year, has rare athleticism, and started his career as an OLB. He's probably not among the top 10 most coveted FAs this off season, so hopefully he could be had for a reasonable sum. He just seems like a reasonable, slightly under the radar veteran pick up to me, but I've probably over-rationalized it.

Last edited:
If WE are thinking about it this much we can be sure the FO is too. I think our focus is/should be on current FAs not the purge that will surely follow. Yes we are more likely to be moderate in our pursuits but the luxury of being so young is that we can afford a big ticket item once in a while. Thomas, Moss, and Light are off the books. Mankins may soon be too. Thats a whole lotta cheese to work with I dont care what Miguel has to say, LOL. Lets get Woodley in here and I think this board would be all smiles!:D

If WE are thinking about it this much we can be sure the FO is too. I think our focus is/should be on current FAs not the purge that will surely follow. Yes we are more likely to be moderate in our pursuits but the luxury of being so young is that we can afford a big ticket item once in a while. Thomas, Moss, and Light are off the books. Mankins may soon be too. Thats a whole lotta cheese to work with I dont care what Miguel has to say, LOL. Lets get Woodley in here and I think this board would be all smiles!:D

Love the enthusiasm Jeff, but Woodley is under the franchise tag unfortunately. I did see you mention the possibility of trading Mankins for Woodley, but I am sure that you realize what a pipe dream that is too. The Steelers are getting awfully long in the tooth in some areas, and they are going to hold on to a promising young LB such as Woodley, with a vice grip. James Harrison and Larry Foote are not going to play many more seasons IMO, although Harrison probably will play out the remainder of his pact there, and obviously still plays at a very high level. Foote is on his last legs. Woodley and Timmons are the outside/inside base future for that team. But I think we'd all do that trade here in a heartbeat for sure.

Light isn't quite out of here just yet either, as we could use him for another yr for sure. I think the drafting of Solder is a good one, but I also think it was a 'value' pick, gave them leverage in the Light negotiations, and was geared towards the future too. If we can keep him, all the better, if not, that's not the end of the world either of course.

Your point however, is very well taken. It will be interesting to see what Belichick cooks up as far as many of us still wanting that 'big ticket item' that you talk of. He has seemingly done a much better job of building from the inside out again in the past few drafts.

Last edited:
Honestly with the pats cap situation i can see us going for anyone, Rice seems perfect as a talented 24 year old genuine number 1 reciever... but we have welker, branch, tate, price and edelperson so we are pretty deep at WR. It's a much easier argument to be adding someone to the front 7 like Jenkins, Babin, Edwards et al

I would bet they're going to go low-profile -- the Mike Vrabel strategy, i.e. see if someone else's castoff can turn it on here. A few who might fit that definition:

Jacob Ford and/or Dave Ball, DE, Tennessee: Both are physical fits for the OLB spot, both have had seven-sack seasons (Ball last year). Ford came from the same school as Markell Carter.

Stephen Bowen, DE/DT, Dallas: Bowen replaced Marcus Spears last year and played really well. He's sort of a bigger version of Jarvis Green, having a rep as a pass-rushing/disruptive 3-4 end who may not hold up as well as Spears against the run. If Dallas keeps Spears, Bowen is probably gone.

Antwan Barnes, LB, SD: He's undersized but has played the 3-4 OLB and can rush the passer a little -- he was really good against us.

Shaun Smith, DE, KC: He'd be even less exciting than Marcus Stroud, but he can play both end and NT in the 3-4. I'm not sure he's better than Brace, Wright, Deaderick or even Kyle Love, but he has been a starter on a 3-4 line in this league, for a playoff team.

David Baas, C, SF: The Niners have a lot of free agents and might opt to let Baas walk. He's a good center who could play guard for a year and take over for Koppen subsequently.

Personally, I'd rather they just spent it all on one Ray Edwards, or even Manny Lawson, but I don't see that happening. I imagine they'll make Mankins the priority and also try to tie up guys like Mayo and maybe Welker, then hope they get lucky with some bargain-basement signings. Another thing to think about: there are some good safeties on the market, including guys who have been good but are off down years (Dashon Goldson, Gibril Wilson), guys who have played on crappy teams (Donte Whitner, Michael Huff), and an older Pro Bowler (Quentin Mikell). We're pretty set at safety, but I remember thinking the same thing before they signed Rodney Harrison. Just a thought.

Kevin Faulk, followed by Gerard Warren, and then a bunch of UDFAs.
Gerard's a UFA? What does that mean as Ty Warren makes his return? I can't find anything about Ty's progress/ return though. Anyone know what's up with him?

Gerard's a UFA? What does that mean as Ty Warren makes his return? I can't find anything about Ty's progress/ return though. Anyone know what's up with him?

He said he plans to make a run for comeback player of the year, but that's about it.

Logan Mankins, and I hope we'll have enough money left over to bring in Larry Fitzgerald next year.

What do you think, Miguel?

Jarred Page SS his contract should be much easyer to nail down than Mankins who should be a priority and much more work to nail down. Personaly I think the help drafted on the OL should make Mankins job easyer and more appealing to him, after Koppen is replaced he will be the oldest starter on the OL instead of the second youngest.(Bet Mankins insists the new contract starts after his franchise year, the same way the Pats wanted his offer last year to start after his RFA year)Touche !

My wish list would be to go after Larry Fitzsgerrald in a trade, now, before the bidding war starts next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back