PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The first day of free agency sucked, unless you're a Jets fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The first day of free agency sucked, unless your a Jet fan

Now that i've slept a night, i see the logic in the Vrabel-trade. I love the guy to death, but this is a business and we clear about 3 million dollars of cap room and now are giving other rooks and players the chance to fill the void. BB is always looking long term and i think no matter what we got, it's a good deal. I surely don't hope we're pulling of the trade they are saying in the other thread, cause although i love to see Curry next to Mayo, or Maualuga (a little bit further) i don't feel we get enough for Matt: Just a swap of firsts and a 3rd for Vrabes and MC, don't like it at all.

is free agnecy over??? I didn't know that there were extra ponts orWINNING the first dau of Free agency...good grief...

I really hate that Vrabel is gone.He has been a great player for the Patriots. What did the Pats get? I know free agency just started , be patient. I see the Jets getting better on defense and the Pats getting worse. I hope keeping Cassel works out well. I am sure they know what they are doing. Doesnt mean it will work out the way they want it to.

If that's true then it's the best day of the year for Jet's fans. It's the one day of the year it doesn't suck to be a fan.

I didn't know that there were extra ponts orWINNING the first dau of Free agency...good grief...

Only the Redskins get extra points for the first day. Atleast, I assume they do being that there is no other logical reason for their spending.......and tampering :D

Unless the Jets find a QB, they are gong to SUCK!!!!

I'm fine with the first day of free agency. Taylor and Baker are solid players who filled needs at very reasonable prices.

As for Vrabel, we don't know the whole story yet which is no surprise when the most secretive coach in the NFL trades with the most secretive GM in the NFL. Maybe there is more to come with KC but even if there isn't, it is a good move.

The worst case is they got a conditional 2010 draft pick for a guy they were going to cut. He had a big cap number and no longer provides the production to go with it. Between the lines, he is just another guy at this point. It is painful for us to admit that after how great he has been in a Pats uniform. For about a year and a half it has been easy to see the decline in his game.

Vrabel will fill a nice role for Pioli for a year as an example to a young team with his work ethic and attitude.

Today was a reminder that no matter the changes in the front office and coaching staff, Bill Belichick still runs this team the same way he has since he got here. He doesn't allow sentiment to cloud his evalutions of players. He is not staisfied with status quo on defense. The defense didn't get worse or better today - but it now has the potential to be better. That is very good news for Pats fans.

Last edited:

did anyone expect the Jets not to do something in FA. It was the only way to get over such a poor season. The fans would have been calling for Tannies head if he just sat there even with almost no cap room. Instead they had to cut a lot of decent players to pick up a few good ones. In the end, they are still the same old Jets.

Didn't we get Fred Taylor?

They got Fred Taylor because he is 33 years old and does not

demand big money. He just wanted to close out his career with

a winner.

Let's all say it together:

When it comes to football: In. Bill. I. Trust.

Relax... we've got the best coach, the best system, the best QB in the league, the best backup QB in the league (techinically, he IS a backup here)...those aren't even arguable. Oh, and last year's DROY.

We also have... arguably... the best WR in the league (apologies to A. Johnson and L. Fitzgerald), the best DT in the league (apologies to A. Haynesworth), the best D Line in the league (apologies to no one), and the best "slot receiver" in the league.

We also just picked up Baker (sweet!) and Taylor (gas left in the tank, IMHO)...

losing Vrabel hurts emotionally... but it is what it is.

Again... whenever you're starting to lose it... just say it quietly to yourself:

When it comes to football: "In Bill I trust".

If that's true then it's the best day of the year for Jet's fans. It's the one day of the year it doesn't suck to be a fan.

NO.. there is ONE other great day, too.... DRAFT DAY... it makes me chuckle... every time that the commish starts the draft off I just think of that kid pointing at his head on live TV as the boos were hurled down on Ferguson... just hilarious.

I'm laughing NOW... someone else must remember this, no?

The UNFUNNY part of that day, btw and IMHO was when they drafted Mangold... I think that he is under-rated NOW... let alone then.

Now that i've slept a night, i see the logic in the Vrabel-trade. I love the guy to death, but this is a business and we clear about 3 million dollars of cap room and now are giving other rooks and players the chance to fill the void. BB is always looking long term and i think no matter what we got, it's a good deal. I surely don't hope we're pulling of the trade they are saying in the other thread, cause although i love to see Curry next to Mayo, or Maualuga (a little bit further) i don't feel we get enough for Matt: Just a swap of firsts and a 3rd for Vrabes and MC, don't like it at all.
That would be a blockbuster trade and very good value for NE.

I wholeheartedly do not agree with this thesis. It was a a superb day for the Patriots. In every way it was fine.

A) The Pats added a RB to the stable to replace Lamont Jordan. The RB corps is deep and talented.
B) The Pats replaced the blocking TE they lost two years ago, freeing their receiving TEs to participate in the passing game.
C) The Pats did suffer a loss in their #3 WR corps. But this draft has many fine WRs, and they can draft one to get younger. They wil sign another vet WR for that starting duty.
D) The Pats received some considerations for an aging OLB leader, better than they did for Wilie McG.
E) The Pats strategy on Defense is revealed. They will continue and get younger and faster, rather than patch with oldsters.

But the best part is what happened elsewhere.

1) The Ravens got considerably weaker, with the loss of Bart Scott, and Leonhard.
2) The Titans got considerably weaker with the loss of Albert Haynesworth.
3) The Jest got considerably weaker with the signing of
Scott, Leonhard and the CB from the Eagles. They burned away the CAP room they had created by firing virtually their whole Offense, Coles, etc. without solving their main problem, no QB.
3) Further we saw Rex's strategy. Become a 2001-2007 poor imitation of the Ravens, All Defense and no Offense. They have neither the line, RBs, QBs, nor WRs to do so. And their Defense is no way shape or form the equal of those LOSING Ravens teams. Hello 1-15. season.
4) None of ther other AFCE teams materially helped themselves, either.

All in all a very good start to FA for the Pats, both Directly, with their pickups, and Indirectly, with their opponents losses.:singing::singing::cool:

Jusy a FYI guys
The Colts and Steelers did NOTHING and I'll bet they both are in the playoffs just like us this year.

CHILL

I wholeheartedly do not agree with this thesis. It was a a superb day for the Patriots. In every way it was fine.

A) The Pats added a RB to the stable to replace Lamont Jordan. The RB corps is deep and talented.
B) The Pats replaced the blocking TE they lost two years ago, freeing their receiving TEs to participate in the passing game.
C) The Pats did suffer a loss in their #3 WR corps. But this draft has many fine WRs, and they can draft one to get younger. They wil sign another vet WR for that starting duty.
D) The Pats received some considerations for an aging OLB leader, better than they did for Wilie McG.
E) The Pats strategy on Defense is revealed. They will continue and get younger and faster, rather than patch with oldsters.

1) The Ravens got considerably weaker, with the loss of Bart Scott, and Leonhard.
Scott, Leonhard and the CB from the Eagles. They burned away the CAP room they had created by firing virtually their whole Offense, Coles, etc. without solving their main problem, no QB.
3) Further we saw Rex's strategy. Become a 2001-2007 poor imitation of the Ravens, All Defense and no Offense. They have neither the line, RBs, QBs, nor WRs to do so. And their Defense is no way shape or form the equal of those LOSING Ravens teams. Hello 1-15. season.

All in all a very good start to FA for the Pats, both Directly, with their pickups, and Indirectly, with their opponents losses.:singing::singing::cool:

I agree....especially regrading the Jests.....sure they added some "D" talent, so now instead of losing 48-0 to us, they may hold it down to 31-0. They have no offense and no way can they fill all those holes, now.

If that's true then it's the best day of the year for Jet's fans. It's the one day of the year it doesn't suck to be a Jetsfan.

I don't know about anyone else, but I just LOVE watching the Jets win one offseason Superbowl after another.

Their fans are absolutely MANIC.

Their outrageous false bravado and Superbowl predictions should be starting any time now...and they'll be and burning up the suicide hotlines and eating their own by mid-season. Its classic.

In Belichik we trust...the man has a plan, you can be damn sure of that.

This is a very interested analysis. 1-15 seems a bit harsh, but I agree that the Jets may have sold themselves in the long run. They will have a very solid defense on paper, and Ryan may be able to make them play well together, but I agree that they will be a poor copy of the Ravens teams with no offense, and not as good on defense.

you guys sound like jets fans. STOP CRYING

I really hate that Vrabel is gone.He has been a great player for the Patriots. What did the Pats get? I know free agency just started , be patient. I see the Jets getting better on defense and the Pats getting worse. I hope keeping Cassel works out well. I am sure they know what they are doing. Doesnt mean it will work out the way they want it to.

Just about every other day of the year sucks for Jets fans...so give them a break :)

I'd be willing to bet that the current Pats FO doesn't just sit around shaking a Magic 8 Ball to make their decisions. They DO actually think this stuff through. This isn't the Raiduhz. Be grateful that we have competent people running the show. Plus, it's not worth worrying about because you have no control over it. It's going to be a great season. Cheer up!

In the last few years how many late round picks have made the team?

In the past 3 years, the Pats have had 18 picks beyond from the 4th round on. The cynics love to point to 2007 and say that the Pats suck picking late in the draft but they refuse to acknowledge that the Pats were STUCK with 4 of those 8 picks and that they there was very little movement that year by many teams late in the draft. Do you know how many of those 18 picks have made pro rosters? How about 10. 2 of the players the Pats tried to stash on the practice squad only to have other teams swoop in and steal them.

Mike Richardson, Jonathan Wilhite, Matt Slater, Gostkowski, O'Callaghan, Justin Rogers (for Dallas), LeKevan Smith, Willie Andrews, Kareem Brown, Garrett Mills (For Minnesota).

That looks to be about a 56% success rate. Why don't you look at some other teams and tell me what their success rate has been?

I don't know about anyone else, but I just LOVE watching the Jets win one offseason Superbowl after another.

Their fans are absolutely MANIC.

Their outrageous false bravado and Superbowl predictions should be starting any time now...and they'll be and burning up the suicide hotlines and eating their own by mid-season. Its classic.

In Belichik we trust...the man has a plan, you can be damn sure of that.

every year man, same thing with the jets and their fans ever single year, ame outcome as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes