Welcome to PatsFans.com

The first casualty of the hollywood writers strike:Fred Thompson

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by jack, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

well, perhaps naming an anti-zionist campaign manager, vowing to ban abortion across the board, and defending lobbying were clear indications this guy didn't have a shot...

take care, Fred... we have some lovely parting gifts for you backstage... including the home version...

3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I'll probably skip his next "news" conference.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Wow, this sucks!
    Oh wait a minute...no it doesn't.

When does Rudi Quit?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

QUIT?

man...if he quits then the terrorists WIN.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Since when did he ever want to ban abortion across the board? You keep reading those propoganda sites I see. Thompson wanted to put the states in charge of abortion. You know, in this country, it used to be that states had a certain autonomy about them.

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Was Fred Thompson ever actually running...?

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

running on empty

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

gosh, i dunno....

maybe HERE, on that propoganda site, CNN?

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – Likely Republican White House hopeful Fred Thompson told CNN Friday that he would work to overturn Roe v. Wade if elected president,​

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Agenda Boy, as I stated, you have no idea about his position on abortion. Hello, you'd need to overturn Roe V Wade in order to give states the right to decide whether or not they want abortion to be legal inside their borders. If you stick to your typical propoganda sites, and don't wander outside every once in a while, you'll never learn anything outside of what they want you to know. ;)

Fred Thompson on Abortion
    Former Republican Senator (TN)

Life begins at conception; abortion takes a life
    Q: You were endorsed by the National Right to Life Committee, but you oppose a constitutional ban on abortion. You say you'd like to see it the way it was before Roe vs. Wade, with the decision up to states. So let me ask you two yes or no questions. Do you believe that life begins at conception?
    A: Yes.

Q: Do you believe that abortion is the taking of life?

A: Yes.

Source: Fox News Sunday: 2007 "Choosing the President" interviews Nov 25, 2007

Reverse Roe & return abortion to states, to allow SOME bans
    Q: You believe that abortion is the taking of life; so why leave it up to the states where, as you well know, before Roe vs. Wade, some states allowed abortion on demand?
    A: What the situation is now is as follows. Because of Roe vs. Wade, all states are restricted from passing rules that they otherwise would maybe like to pass with regard to this area. If you abolish Roe vs. Wade, you're going to allow every state to pass reasonable rules that they might see fit to pass. There hasn't been a serious effort to put forth a constitutional amendment because people knew that it wouldn't pass. What I've been talking about is directing our energy toward something that was halfway practical, something that might could get done. So now where we have no states with the option of doing anything about it, then we would have however many states wanted to. You could move from zero yard line, to the 60- or 70-yard line instead of standing pat, which is where we will remain if we don't abolish Roe vs. Wade.

Let states decide abortion with restrictions as they see fit
    Q: You said two weeks ago, "I think people ought to be free at state and local levels to make decisions that even Fred Thompson disagrees with. That's what freedom is all about."
    A: Exactly.

Q: That is the essence of the pro-choice argument, not individual choice, but pro-choice for states.

A: No, not really. How many pro-choice people say that they want to see the abolition of Roe vs. Wade? I don't know any. What I'm talking about is abolishing Roe vs. Wade [and allowing the abortion decision at the state level].

Q: So even if you disagree with them, states could have abortion on demand.

A: No, not abortion on demand. They could restrict. They would have the ability to restrict abortion more than they do now.

Q: But pre-Roe vs. Wade, some states had abortion on demand.

A: Well, they would not have anything under that situation that they don't have now. I mean, the gain would be on the pro-life side. I mean, they have Roe vs. Wade and all of the progeny from that already.

Heart swayed by sonogram of his unborn child
    [The abortion debate is] going to be ultimately won in the hearts and minds of people. I'm probably a pretty good example of that. Although my head and my legislative record's always been the same, when I saw that sonogram of my little now 4-year-old, it's changed my heart. It's changed the way I look at things. And I think life begins at conception. It was abstract to me before. I was a father earlier when I was very young. I was busy. One of the few advantages you have by getting a little bit older.
    Source: Meet the Press: 2007 "Meet the Candidates" series Nov 4, 2007

No human Life Amendment; let states decide individually
    Q: The 2004 Republican Party platform says: "We say the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution." Could you run as a candidate on that platform?
    A: No.

Q: You would not?

A: No. That's been my position the entire time I've been in politics. I thought Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided. I think this platform originally came out as a response to particularly Roe v. Wade because of that. Before Roe v. Wade, states made those decisions. I think people ought to be free at state and local levels to make decisions that even Fred Thompson disagrees with. That's what freedom is all about. I think Roe v. Wade hopefully one day will be overturned, and we can go back to the pre-Roe v. Wade days.

Q: Each state would make their own abortion laws.

A: Yeah. But to have an amendment going back even further than pre-Roe v. Wade, to have a constitutional amendment to do that, I do not think would be the way to go

Source: Meet the Press: 2007 "Meet the Candidates" series Nov 4, 2007

Life begins at conception, but allow early abortions
    Q: You said in 1994 as a Senate candidate, "I'm not willing to support laws that prohibit early-term abortions. I'm not suddenly upon election as a senator going to know when life begins. It comes down to whether you believe life begins at conception. I don't know in my own mind if that is the case so I don't feel the law ought to impose that standard on other people." So you yourself don't know when life begins?
    A: No. I didn't know then.

Q: You know now?

A: My public position has always been the same. I've been 100% pro-life in every vote that I've ever cast.

Q: Do you believe that life begins at conception, so abortion is the taking of a human life?

A: Yes, I do.

A: But you would allow abortion to be performed in states if chosen by states for people who think otherwise?

A: I do not think that you can have a law that cuts off an age group or something like that. It cannot change the way I feel about it morally, but legally and practically, I've got to recognize that fact.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Fred_Thompson_Abortion.htm

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

He really blew an opportunity to take the nomination. He waited too long, and came in with too little hype. He thought he was in Tennesee in his pick up truck all over again.

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

first, please don't make the mistake of suggesting i'm the one, between the two of us, who has a limited range of news sources... that would be beyond embarrassing for you... heck, i look at Drudge and Nat. Review every single day, in addition to the major media sources.... you look at ThinkProgress only when i present it to you....

regardless, your semantics argument aside, the point was that his abortion position was among several aspects of his campaign that were unflattering to the voting public... right up there with praising lobbyists, and hiring Spencer Abraham... saying he believes abortion is the taking of human life, and that he would "work to overturn Roe v. Wade" didn't help...

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Nobody was going to buy his schtick, IMO

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

So otherwise, I was right, and you, as usual, had no idea what you were talking about. :p

When will you learn that media outlets only take snippets of what people say so that they can frame it as they see fit. It fit's a certain agenda to put forth "work to overturn Roe v. Wade" without explaining, or even mentioning, what that means. You fell for their drivel, as you usually do, and quite honestly, I figured you'd have learned by now. [​IMG]

15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

look, RW... i can understand your unbridled man-crush for a no-nonsense old codger like Fred Thompson... aging, drives a gas-guzzling pickup, hot younger wife, "true" con man, falls asleep a lot, etc. ... so i can also understand your effort to turn the discussion into a straw-man semantics tit-for-tat regarding every detail of his abortion platform... (speaking of zzzzzzz)....

the fact is, he's yet another one of those "life begins at conception" guys who seem to be falling by the wayside each passing month... i know quite enough about his position to deduce that it did him no favors, regardless of your smarmy "nah-nah" efforts to deflect to you vs. me...

if he had his way, he'd scrap abortion... it's really very simple...

now, i'll let you get back to preaching to us all how liberal you feel the mainstream media is... :rolleyes:

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Don't you have an inflatable doll to blow up? :p

You really are Agenda Boy. That might be the most fitting nic I've ever given. Seriously, what part of what is being said here, can't you understand? This is why I ignore alot of your posts. You ask the same tired questions over, and over again, only to ignore the 100 answers people give you. You make statements that are false, and when you are proven to be incorrect, you simply repeat the same old statements, or decide that it's time to move the argument toward something other than what you originally said. I don't like any of the candidates that are running. What I do like about Thompson is the fact that he believes in states rights. Clearly you don't. That's your perogative. The man has said he wouldn't ever seek a constitutional amendment to ban abortion. What part of that can't you understand? I guess I shouldn't expect much from someone who looks at people in this forum as "opponents". It just goes to show that you're not here to discuss things, you're simply here to argue. So... [​IMG]

:D

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

BTW, so when does life begin PC?

18. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Be happy for Fred, now he can stop having to get all dressed up and go be disinterested at debates just because his wife was making him. Right now he's got his fingers crossed hoping against hope that she doesn't make him accept VP if its offered.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

If McCain gets the nomination, Fred Thompson is likely to be the VP. McCain will need a southern conservative to balance out his ticket, and Thompson does fill that void. They're real good friends too.

20. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Fred is going to hate that one. "Aw, come on Jeri, do I HAVE to? Can't I just sit around the house in my boxers smoking stogies like I used to?"

Seriously though I think that's a really strong ticket for the general election, Fred to energize the base, McCain to appeal to independents and conservative dems. They'd at least have a shot against the Dem nominee, whoever it ends up being.