PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The final Deion question i want answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzFritz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
its really simple. let me set it up.

-- the difference between our offer and jets/seattle offer was what he would get paid this year i.e. 1.5M last year on his old contract vs 6M on a new one. roughly speaking
-- we think he is worth 5-6M per year. just not this year. next year.
-- we dont want to pay him this year because it would set a precedent of not honoring final years of rookie contracts. (but we already violated that w seymour. ) and what happened as a result wdeion has set an EVEN WORSE precedent, which is "just hold out, we will trade you and all your wildest dreams will come true".

so if we have 12M in salary cap sitting there, why didnt we pay him another 4M this year to make this team better. (we already agreed he was worth it next year) we achieved nothing in terms of avoiding precedent or setting ourselves up for future player negotiations.

possible answers
A. we got too pissed off. it became personal. ship him out
B. we think we have all the talent we need to win another superbowl this year, so get the draft pick

seriously, what other possible answer is there? does what happened w deion make any sense?

apologies in advance but i just cannot explain the logic in the FO. and i know they know what they are doing.....

BlitzFritz said:

-- the difference between our offer and jets/seattle offer was what he would get paid this year i.e. 1.5M last year on his old contract vs 6M on a new one. roughly speaking
-- we dont want to pay him this year because it would set a precedent of not honoring final years of rookie contracts. (but we already violated that w seymour. ) and what happened as a result wdeion has set an EVEN WORSE precedent, which is "just hold out, we will trade you and all your wildest dreams will come true".

so if we have 12M in salary cap sitting there, why didnt we pay him another 4M this year to make this team better. (we already agreed he was worth it next year) we achieved nothing in terms of avoiding precedent or setting ourselves up for future player negotiations.

possible answers
B. we think we have all the talent we need to win another superbowl this year, so get the draft pick

seriously, what other possible answer is there? does what happened w deion make any sense?

apologies in advance but i just cannot explain the logic in the FO. and i know they know what they are doing.....

I'll read about it whenever a tell-all book comes out about the BB era. Until then I can't even pretend to care about that situation anymore.

The important thing to keep in mind is this:

NE's offer was an initial offer to a player who had another year on his contract. Seattle's and NY's were to a player who was essentially a FA who had one week to work out a deal

The playing fields aren't even close to being level.

Plus we got a first round pick.
The guy has to pay us 600K.

BlitzFritz said:

possible answers

sucks6.jpg

All I want to know is

Who dey who dey think going to beat those Bengals!!!

because we felt that:

a (relatively) under-paid player (seattle's first round pick) for the next few years

was worth more than

deion for the next few years @ market price
PLUS
the problems associated with future contracts due to caving in to a player still under contract

Last edited:
BlitzFritz said:

possible answers

1) The Patriots didn't know what Deion was looking for since his agent never bothered to send a counter to any of the 3 offers the Pats sent him.

2) The Patriots don't really have an extra 12.6 million as they still owe Seymour 6.66 million in bonus money this year. While the Patriots can pay it out as a signing bonus, the general thought is that they are going to pay it as a roster bonus, taking the entire amount this year.

3) The Patriots have set a precedent with Seymour and Brady that they will give you your extension, but they expect you to finish out salary stipulated by your current contract.

4) The Patriots made honest attempts to re-sign players to deals that they feel are appropriate. As they did with Brady and Seymour.

Because the Patriots have a business plan and they follow that plan and don't get caught up in the emotions of the day. It's worked so far and I think it will continue to work.

That's the message the players will get. If Graham, Koppen and whoever want to leave town, well they will be replaced. Graham has already been replaced.

Because Deion has an agent focused on making a name for himself(mission accomplished) and you can't do a deal if you can't negotiate. Simple.

BlitzFritz said:

possible answers

Neon was under contract in 2006 for 1.045.

If we matched Seattle he'd get 6.5 mil starting next year. Seattle gave us #1 because we had him under contract.

If we gave him 6.5 mil this year we'd be giving him almost 5.5 mil for nothing.

Do people give you millions for nothing?

To recap: Seattle didn't give us a #1 for nothing.

No one would give Neon 5.5 mil for nothing. Plus 6.5 mil a year.

Neon knows we wouldn't give him 5 mil for nothing, that's why he didn't negotiate. He wanted to be like a free agent. But he wasn't.

BlitzFritz said:
-- we dont want to pay him this year because it would set a precedent of not honoring final years of rookie contracts. (but we already violated that w seymour. ) and what happened as a result wdeion has set an EVEN WORSE precedent, which is "just hold out, we will trade you and all your wildest dreams will come true"...
Sorry, you are not making sense with this. You are saying it is better to pay a holdout whatever he wants is a better precedent than not paying him?

Please explain why we will be better off with a prededent of "Hold out and we will pay you what you want." Tell me how that is good?

I find several meritorious replies above.

The answer to b2b's plaint is,
what would be good is having the player ... help us THIS season.
That doesn't mean it is the best strategic approach;
merely why paying him would have done us good.

RayClay, though, is on the verge of expressing why
what happened
is better for the Patriots
than giving him 5+ mil "for nothing".

The Grahams, Koppens, etc to come
now realize that, yes, they can shoot their way out of a contract ...
if they are so good at what they do
that some GM will think they are worth the new, high contract
plus also a first-round pick to the Pats. That's some high threshold.

I say this as someone who thinks a single first-rounder wasn't good enough compensation.

flutie2phelan said:
I find several meritorious replies above.

The answer to b2b's plaint is,
what would be good is having the player ... help us THIS season.
That doesn't mean it is the best strategic approach;
merely why paying him would have done us good.

RayClay, though, is on the verge of expressing why
what happened
is better for the Patriots
than giving him 5+ mil "for nothing".

The Grahams, Koppens, etc to come
now realize that, yes, they can shoot their way out of a contract ...
if they are so good at what they do
that some GM will think they are worth the new, high contract
plus also a first-round pick to the Pats. That's some high threshold.

I say this as someone who thinks a single first-rounder wasn't good enough compensation.

The Patriots were put in a disadvantageous situation.

By letting him seek a trade they limited the distraction and got compensation.

They were perfectly within their rights to use him from the 10th game on then franchise him and trade him whenever they felt like it.

They made the right call. Look at the distraction it's caused. Imagine if it was unsettled for a year or 2.

The Patriots did not have to trade him now. They very well might call someone's bluff in the future and let them holdout and be fined.

BlitzFritz said:

It became very personal to him when he did not receive one of the commercial spots vacated by Vinateiri. the Patriots knew how badly Adam wanted to earn maximum $$$ so they enhanced what he made with the commercial spots. Branch thought he deserved one...the Patriots thought otherwise(maybe it was then they asked him to change agents I can't get an answer to this yet.)Anyways Seymour and Vrabel seem to have gotten 2 of the spots...Troy already had his and maybe that pissed Branch off also I'm not sure.

The commercials means you are in the innermost circle of being a Patriot...it is a privelage to get one...the team treats them as such...Branch was told no...he made up his mind then that he was gone...the Patriots were used as leverage to make the most $$$ possible...it worked...he's a genius in his mind because he pulled it off.

F.B.N. said:
It became very personal to him when he did not receive one of the commercial spots vacated by Vinateiri. the Patriots knew how badly Adam wanted to earn maximum $$$ so they enhanced what he made with the commercial spots. Branch thought he deserved one...the Patriots thought otherwise(maybe it was then they asked him to change agents I can't get an answer to this yet.)Anyways Seymour and Vrabel seem to have gotten 2 of the spots...Troy already had his and maybe that pissed Branch off also I'm not sure.

The commercials means you are in the innermost circle of being a Patriot...it is a privelage to get one...the team treats them as such...Branch was told no...he made up his mind then that he was gone...the Patriots were used as leverage to make the most $$$ possible...it worked...he's a genius in his mind because he pulled it off.
what commercial spots are these that the Patriots dole out?

On the Pats, there's Brady and Seymour.....and then there's everyone else. The Pats made Deion what they considered a fair offer. Problem was, Deion didn't think so and decided to hold out. Once the grievance BS started, it become clear that Deion wanted out. The Pats were not going to get him back anyway. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Kraft even hinted that there would be closure one way or another. There was no way the Pat were going to drag this out for 10 games.

So...since the Pats were not going to get Branch back anyway without giving him the farm, they traded him and got a first round pick. A lot of us hated to see him go..but "life's a *****..and then you die". I support the players that showed up for camp and are on the field in the Pats uniform.

So..$#@% Deion Branch and the white horse he rode in on.

brady2brown said:
what commercial spots are these that the Patriots dole out?

Players need permission to do commercial spots using the teams gear. Dunkin Donuts is one of the sponsors and they now use Seymour.

I don't know all the specifics but i keep hearing there are 4 spots(commercials?) and that Brach wanted 1 of them and was rebuffed and it severly pissed him off.

That's an interesting angle. I never knew about that commercial spots thing. If that's true... I think it sounds kind of petty. Then again it depends on how MUCH supplemental income these commercial spots offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back