PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The final cut looks like a dogfight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we sure Meriweather makes it back? He is an IR prospect.

I don't think the Pats will keep three tight ends because none of the
above players is good quality. There will be a tight end on the PS.

Obviously, if L. Smith goes on IR, the Pats need a replacement.
I don't know if Adams or Fifita is eliguble for the practice squad.

Unless Matt Cassel has a break thru performance, I would be
disappointed to see the Pats keep him over Gutierrez. BB has
stated many times that the name of the game is scoring points.
Cassel has not demonstrated that he can put points on the
scoreboard.

My hope is that the Pats keep ten linebackers. This way they
could keep Gary Guyton who can play both inside and out. He
could compete for Bruschi's job next year.
---I am leaning against the 3 TEs for this year..but I don't think that is a no brainer..it COULD happen within the realm of possibility..in fact it would be rare...so that is why I think it could happen. ----Adams I think IS eligible..SThomas is not and I doubt KSmith is...Fifita?? don't know. -----I agree about Cassel..but maybe they don't think Guts is ready...might they bring in a vet?? I don't know..but cassel makes the team sink on both sides of the ball...sad because I thought he had potential. -----I am high on Guyton..but I wonder if the team is..THAT is the key..I have him making the team as well.

Are we sure Meriweather makes it back? He is an IR prospect.
I think if he was going to be IRed it would have happened...like Aikens, I think he will return.

I think if he was going to be IRed it would have happened...like Aikens, I think he will return.

Hopefully you're correct, but I've been seeing people point to the fact that BB usually IR's players rather quickly, and that's often true, but they've also held off on IR players who could be of importance to the team during previous seasons. A few years ago Eugene Wilson was injured and the Patriots gave him a decent amount of time to attempt a recover from his injury, but finally decided to IR him once they realized he simply wasn't going to be healthy enough to play that season.

Hopefully you're correct, but I've been seeing people point to the fact that BB usually IR's players rather quickly, and that's often true, but they've also held off on IR players who could be of importance to the team during previous seasons. A few years ago Eugene Wilson was injured and the Patriots gave him a decent amount of time to attempt a recover from his injury, but finally decided to IR him once they realized he simply wasn't going to be healthy enough to play that season.

Before trying to interpret the cuts too much, remember that only

5 players had to be cut. Eckel, Webster, and Wendell all lost practice

time due to injuries and this hurt their chances of making the team.

The Pats feel Neal can return this season so he was placed on

Reserve/PUP. O'Callaghan had a more serious injury and was placed on IR.

I will be surprised if a few other players are not put on IR on Saturday

and Ross put on Reserve/PUP.

That is also true...Poole and Law in 04...both out a long time finally IRed..another one Light in 05..
And I am sure others..Wilson was injured in game 9 I believe IRed before Game 13...It always depends on the injury..of course....if it's serious the player is gone..I THINK that is a no brainer...it's NOT a season ender at this point...it's also early in the season..do not forget 03 with Johnson and Washington key D players injured severely and kept on the roster to retuirn way later in the season.. Also..somewhere on the board..do not remember the source..but a possible credible one..that he was OK would be ready sooner..AT that point people were thinking IR..but that gave hope..if it was serious he would have been gone..it wasn't.. HOPING he's back soon.

You said this last year, just before at least FOUR rookies we cut on cutdown day ended up on other teams, maybe more. Clint Oldenburg and Kareem Brown were signed by the Jets, Corey Hilliard by the Colts, and Justin Rogers by the Cowboys. Some teams who have little depth are happy to sign players cut by teams who are deep or teams with a track record of drafting good players.

There were rookies we cut the previous year who ended up on other teams, also. Jeremy Mincey and Garrett Mills come to mind. JAX and MIN had no problem cutting a guy who was familiar with their system in favor of these two who they never had on the practice field.

If you follow signings for the entire NFL closely in the few days after cutdown day, you'll see there are a LOT of signings and cuttings and teams tweak rosters.

I'm not saying any of our guys will or will not pass through waivers. No one can tell that ahead of time. But to say that waiver claims are rarely made after cutdown day is just incorrect.

If you cut a guy, you had best plan on losing him. That is the only way to look at it. If you want to keep him for next year and don't want to lose him, keep him or IR him if that is possible.

Justin Rogers was picked up, he is one of the rare cases.
You are incorrect on the others.
Kareem Brown made our team and was cut during the season.
The other guys were cut and EVENTUALLY picked up by someone else, after we did not sign them to the ps.
Of course there are players who get cut that eventually find their way to another team, but what we are talking about here are rookies who are cut at the final cutdown and signed immediately to an active roster before we can put them on the practice squad.
Rogers is the only one we have ever had, and one of a small handful in the entire NFL over the last 5 years.
Mincey and Mills also are not part of this discussion because what were are discussing did not happen.
Please read the topic and details before telling me I am incorrect. There is no opinion in this it is all fact.

You said this last year, just before at least FOUR rookies we cut on cutdown day ended up on other teams, maybe more. Clint Oldenburg and Kareem Brown were signed by the Jets, Corey Hilliard by the Colts, and Justin Rogers by the Cowboys. Some teams who have little depth are happy to sign players cut by teams who are deep or teams with a track record of drafting good players.

There were rookies we cut the previous year who ended up on other teams, also. Jeremy Mincey and Garrett Mills come to mind. JAX and MIN had no problem cutting a guy who was familiar with their system in favor of these two who they never had on the practice field.

If you follow signings for the entire NFL closely in the few days after cutdown day, you'll see there are a LOT of signings and cuttings and teams tweak rosters.

I'm not saying any of our guys will or will not pass through waivers. No one can tell that ahead of time. But to say that waiver claims are rarely made after cutdown day is just incorrect.

If you cut a guy, you had best plan on losing him. That is the only way to look at it. If you want to keep him for next year and don't want to lose him, keep him or IR him if that is possible.

And by the way I DO AND HAVE followed the transactions between cutdown day, and opening day, and that is where I get my FACTS from. If you go back and do the same you will see at best an average of 2 rookies a year (my memory says its more like 3 total in the last 4 years, but thats just my memory) were cut in the last cutdown, and on an active roster by opening day.
Again this is not opinion or debate, but fact. If you dispute the facts, please show me the transactions that conflict with what I have said.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that and it made me happy. Didn't want to see him go, but he was in no way a lock. Nice stash-away project for next year.

Two more IR possibilities: CB Mike Richardson and G/C Dan Connolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes