PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The fall of the Cowboys, the struggle for power

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
An interesting article about the fall of the Cowboy's dynasty, 20 years ago.

The relationship Johnson had with Jones is very similar to what Belichick has with Kraft now, of which the only difference (and the biggest) is that Kraft by all appearance has had no issue, as far as handing the reins of the franchise to Belichick, or crediting him with all the success. Of this, we should feel so fortunate.

Although the article is short, there's a lot of food for thought, including the fact that after the split, Jones has only won one playoff game in the last 17 years:

How the Cowboys Dynasty died one night

Great story. Thanks for posting it.

Kraft is a smart businessman who understands a football team should be run by those who have lived, eaten and breathed football. Jones has money but apparently believes without that money he would be doing what BB and J. Johnson do because he played college football. He apparently believes an owner independently makes the organization great while Kraft appears to accept that greatness comes from delegating responsibility to those with the skills to succeed. Jones was right with J. Johnson but his ego soon took over as he could not surrender the spotlight.

Sadly, Texas loves its football and it does not help that the Boys franchise is actually more valuable than it was when Jones acquired it, despite the lengthy playoff drought. That doesn't exactly help to put Jones in his place, so the debacle endures.

Has there ever been an ego more self-destructively stupid than Jerry Jones? Talk about delusional.

Kraft doesn't act like that douche at all and thank god for it. But I thought even Jones sort of realized the importance of a head coach when he went and got Parcells.

Has there ever been an ego more self-destructively stupid than Jerry Jones? Talk about delusional.

Kraft doesn't act like that douche at all and thank god for it. But I thought even Jones sort of realized the importance of a head coach when he went and got Parcells.

I'm not sure delusional is the right word.

Jerry Jones knows he has a problem of his own making—after all, he's on record as saying that if anyone else had made the mistakes he had made, Jones would have fired that guy by now.

And yet, Jones refuses to understand that he could solve a lot of problems if he fired himself as general manager.

And don't forget last season's quote of the year for the 'Boys by Jones:

"The facts are that I really do think the way things have rolled out that I'm getting to do some of the best work that I've done, relatively speaking in my career of these last several years . . . ."

Best work, but no playoffs. That about sums it up.

And don't forget last season's quote of the year for the 'Boys by Jones:

"The facts are that I really do think the way things have rolled out that I'm getting to do some of the best work that I've done, relatively speaking in my career of these last several years . . . ."

Best work, but no playoffs. That about sums it up.

I was going to point out that comment he made also. I live in Texas and I can't count the number of die hard Cowboys fans I know that have said they are done until he steps down as GM. He has become the new Al Davis of the NFL.

Those Cowboys had a shot at 4 in a row had Jerry's ego not got in the way. As it was, they hired a flake and won 3 out of 4.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back