Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Fairness Doctrine

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by OhExaulted1, Nov 28, 2008.

1. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +470 / 17 / -29

#15 Jersey

The right's persistent paranoia: Rutland Herald Online

However, with Democrats in control of Congress and Barack Obama about to become president, the maestros of talk radio see an opportunity. They know that the more threatened their audience feels, the higher their ratings get. And what better way to rile up their listeners than to claim that the Democrats are out to silence talk radio itself, the medium that brings conservatives the truth as they want to know it.

So for months, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and others have been warning their audiences that once in power, the Democrats plan to bring back the Fairness Doctrine. Politicians such as Newt Gingrich have joined the chorus, and right-wing pundits insist the issue will be part of Obama's agenda in his first 100 days in office.

But it's all nonsense. Obama, for example, is on the record as very clearly opposing a new Fairness Doctrine. The most recent bill calling for reinstatement of the doctrine was introduced back in 2005 and it went nowhere. In the current Congress, controlled by Democrats in both chambers, no such bills have been introduced and no Democrats have announced or even suggested an effort to resurrect the policy.

With no justification for their paranoia, right-wing media outlets have gone seeking it out, asking individual Democrats whether they think that restoring the doctrine might be a good idea. When they get a yes, it sets off a whole new round of bemoaning. You get the sense that the Democrats are amusing themselves, much as you'd toss a hunk of meat into a tank of piranas just to watch them go into a frenzy.

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't call it "paranoia" when it has been done many times in recent history, not in the U.S. but in other countries: the old Soviet, today's China, NKorea (forget about it; they're in total lock down 24/7/365), Cuba, Zimbabwe, Iran, today's Russia allows you to say what you want, then then send someone to make you quiet forever, Venezuela's getting there, as is Nicaragua (again), Bolivia, and others.

So don't say "it cannot happen here". You live in Milton? Quite a number of "patriots", "Minutemen" who hid their guns at Concord and Lexington, knew that their only guarantee for freedom of speech lay in their ability to fight for it. It's happened before on American soil. Let's make sure it never happens again.

//

3. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Every Religion has their own version of the Fairness Doctrine

4. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It ain't just "religions", youngster. Try talking about the virtues of market capitalism at the next Democrat party meeting in the Bay area.

Bring your hard hat.

//

5. OhExaulted1

Ratings:
    +470 / 17 / -29

#15 Jersey

First off I think you're confusing Milton, MA with Milton NH. That's about 100 miles away. Northern NH guys fought with Whitcomb's Rangers in upstate NY at Ticonderoga and Saratoga. Must mention the capture of Ft. William and Mary in Kittery, too. I grew up in Portsmouth. Milton is the next town up from Rochester.

Aside from the geography and history lesson, we're nothing like any of those countries you mention above. Don't worry, you won't loose your discredited blowhards. You're as free to be as paranoid as you ever were.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +565 / 15 / -29

The fairness doctrine will never change, but the right wing radio talking heads want you to believe it will... the challenge is for the Dems to become competitive..

Comparing this to Soviet Union, Korea and the like only fuels the false hysteria...

7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

OK on the correction on the Miltons. Knew it was one of them. :D

As to the paranoia charge, again, you can say we have been different from those places I mentioned, but with all the talk about "change" in the past couple of years, I DO know some folks who would love to make the U.S. like some of those countries I mentioned. Such people do exist and they are in the U.S. and they are active in the political process.

Item "A": look what happened after Prop 8 was passed in California -- some loonies went on the warpath, screaming for churches to burned down, cars to be vandalized, people to be hurt. All because people exercised their constitutional right to vote for a proposal that other people (a minority) felt was wrong. Trying to solve differences with physical and verbal violence is NOT the way to make lasting peace.

And, by the same token, there are others who have been railing for years to shut down Rush and Hannity and others. I think Michael Savage is way over the top. But you know what? I just turn him off. I get sick of Rush after a while. My solution? I turn him off, too. See, it's easy to do. And NO COERCED CENSORSHIP is needed.

//

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hey, infraction!:eek: That's four left leaning posts to only two right leaning posts. The lefties must alow two more righty posts before they can respond.:rolleyes:

9. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:rofl:

But considering the quality of each side, it seems the "right" (as opposed to "wrong") side is cleaning the floor with the opposition.

;)

//

10. OhExaulted1

Ratings:
    +470 / 17 / -29

#15 Jersey

I agree with the notion of no censorship. The "Fairness Doctrine" is a joke and if ever envoked again it spits in the face of the Constitution. Subversive talk from the left has been censored and prosecuted before also (McCarthy). It's a wrong path to go in any instance.

Ranting and raving about the other side's veiw should be tolerated except when Physical violence is included. Verbal barbs and protests are legal provided they maintain a specified distance from the agitants and don't impede any legal activity.

I'm actually not in favor of same-sex marriage but probably not for the same reasons you are.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +705 / 7 / -2

The Fairness Doctrine is retahdid, and while it's not a slam dunk to be proposed, I do think that there is the possibility. The dems have significant margins, and the far extreme of the party considerable say. It's unlikely maybe, but not improbable.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah, you really should have stayed in school.

Don't forget the toilet. I left you a little something in there.

13. OhExaulted1

Ratings:
    +470 / 17 / -29

#15 Jersey

The far extreme in both parties should be ignored. If any lawmaker does propose it I'll be the first to shoot them down. It was an egregious error back then and it is now.

14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What's egregious about the one television station in a particular area being made to air opposing viewpoints? Remember, the FD was enacted back in the days when we didn't have 500 channels' worth of diversity to chose from. You got the one channel your TV set could pull in or maybe not any, perhaps just one single radio broadcast.

I know Sean Hannity insists that bringing back the fairness doctrine would require Fox to staple a set of testicles onto Alan Colms; but have no fear. Colms would remain neutered even if the FCC policy* commonly referred to as the Fairness Doctrine, were brought back exactly as it was back in the 50's. This is because the FD was pertinent when there was only one station. Assuming we brought back the FD, if you were to make a complaint over Colms' shocking lack of balls, the FCC would tell you to flip over to MSNBC or CNN or the internet or something. The monopolies of the past just don't exist anymore.

The Fairness Doctrine was implemented at a time that is past. It was good for its time and like many other government programs lasted longer than it should; but it made sense and made our nation better.

*The FD was never a law. It was nothing more than FCC policy.

15. OhExaulted1

Ratings:
    +470 / 17 / -29

#15 Jersey

Why would you staple a set of testicles to a lesbian? That's just asking for trouble.

Seriously though, you're right. TV in 1949 is alot different now. That's when it was enacted and then abolished in 1987. It's time has passed, but right-wing fear has brought it out again. Did you read the article?

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +454 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Fogbuster, you're missing THE point once again. THE point is, why is there sudden panick when Obama has repeatedly stated he has no plans to tighten up on enforcement of that doctrine? Why was there no panick when Clinton or Bush came into office?

And...even if enforcement was implimented, that is actually what the doctrine says is "supposed" to happen. Although I doubt many people care that republicans just LOVE to rant on the radio and telephone...which says a lot about the mindset of people in that party.

17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I heard where if this ever makes it up to the Supreme Court it will go down in flames. I hope so ... we live in a capitalist society and radio should be free to air to who listens. The media this last election showed their left leaning bias ... who knows the fairness doctrine could end up biting them in the nuts if they are not carefull. They could en up with Fox news and another to balance out CNN and MSNBC.;)

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +565 / 15 / -29

I agree, but I have had a hard time believing that the media that is fed to the masses is completely left wing.. time and time it has been pointed out in certain segments that the bias has been right.. the recognition is that nothing is unbiased..

19. slowpoke2

slowpoke2 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Will it help remove Hannity and Rush from the airwaves?

Their lies could not end soon enough.

20. OhExaulted1

Ratings:
    +470 / 17 / -29

#15 Jersey

I hope not. They represent a solid counter-punch to any "liberal media bias" argument. Besides, as much as I don't like them they're entitled to their opinions and they don't incite violence, at least not directly and only an unstable person would use their opinions to do so.

I believe in freedom of speech, regardless if I agree with it or not.