Welcome to PatsFans.com

The fabricated Lincoln quote strikes again

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Feb 16, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

there was a certain poster here who refused to retract the exact same quote... are we seeing a new Con man tactic?... "Absorb fabricated material and insist it's true?"... Oh wait, that's an old tactic...

Watch the jackass here, on YouTube, where millions of Americans can witness Con man agenda, wrapped in stupidity

Young Will Not Retract Fabricated Lincoln Quote

During yesterday’s House debate on Iraq, Rep. Don Young (R-AK) made the case for escalation by citing a fabricated quote falsely attributed to Abraham Lincoln: “Congressmen who willfully take action during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs, and should be arrested, exiled or hanged.” Watch it:

This morning, Young’s spokeswoman Meredith Kenny told ThinkProgress repeatedly that Young does not plan to take any action to correct the record or clarify his House statement.

Kenny said that Young had learned of the quote from Tuesday’s Washington Times op-ed by Frank Gaffney, and noted that the Times has not yet issued a correction or retraction. Kenny said she “couldn’t confirm or deny” that Young would correct his statement even if the Times published a correction.

Kenny added that Young didn’t literally mean that those supporting the Iraq resolution should be “hanged,” merely that they should not be “undermining the morale of our military.”
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

The quote isn't Lincoln's but whoever said it was correct. :p :cool:
  3. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

This amuses me. Damaging soldiers' morale is treason; getting them killed is perfectly acceptable.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You don't believe that. You're too smart, you know that a bad President could start a war because he knows it's the one thing Congress couldn't rebuff him on. You know that thinking like that would be abused to silence critics. You don't want that, do you?
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +366 / 4 / -2

That would always depend on who's damaging their morale, and which asswipe was getting them killed of course. :D
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

why does this not surprise me in the least from you?.... yeah, it's fine to execute a lawmaker against your agenda, isn't it Gen. Sutler? ...

nevermind that this isn't a war, it's an occupation... so the rhetoric doesn't really apply...
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and the clown Congressman won't retract... he'll just attribute it to the Washington Times, which also won't retract a known falsehood... yeah, that "damned liberal media"... :rolleyes:
  8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

Let's use Viet Nam as an example. The Tet offensive was a ,military disaster, the Viet Cong cease to be a factor. From that point forward the NVA did the fighting as Gen Giap said in his memoirs, the North wa ready to sue for peace and end the war, but the reaction by the left in this country convinced that if they hung on the US would lose by giving up. He was correct in his assessment. The result the war went on for years, thousands of additional American dies along with hundred of Thousands of Vietnamese and millions of Cambodians.

When you falsely accuse the President of of being a liar, and actively portray the motives of your country as evil, you serve as a propaganda tool for the enemies of our country who seek to destroy us. You also give hope to the enemy that if they just hold on they will win by virtue of the US quitting.

When Al Queda look at the feckless, disgraceful behavior of the opposition party in this country, they know that if that party is their hope for victory. They know that if they like the Vietnamese hang on the unpatriotic anti US faction in this country will hand them the victory they desire.
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

At least the last few Presidents have been liars. We deserve better from both sides, and we'd be doing ourselves a disservice if we kept quiet.
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

From Sam Johnson a 29 year USAF Veteran who pent 7 yrs in the HAnoi Hilton:

This GREAT American speaks from first hand experience.And has made the kind of sacrifices that the peole on the left who despise our military have never made.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

If you think our troops are better off in Iraq and the war in Iraq should continue, then the Marine's words have meaning to you.

If you feel our troops are worse off in Iraq and the war in Iraq should end, then the flag-draped coffins have greater meaning.
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you're a joke... and you clearly draw no distinction between a noble defense of this great nation, and a bullying occupation of another nation ... for all your "i'm a soldier, and you're not" blather, you don't appear to have the first clue about valor, pulling on heartstrings by using a biter old soldier... because to you, when you're Commander says "let's kill," you're like a hyper dog waiting to go out and pee... you won't stop and consider the merits of war, you're simply all for it on general principle (or lackthereof)...

this guy used the "slow bleed" mantra?... let me tell you a little something about "slow bleed"

Slow Bleed’ Conservatives Voted Against Billions In Equipment For U.S. Troops

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/02/16/slow-bleed-smear/

The right-wing has begun a coordinated effort to smear Iraq war critics by describing their legislative plan as a “slow-bleed strategy.”

The phrase was first used in an article Wednesday by John Bresnahan of The Politico; within hours, the Republican National Committee issued a release falsely claiming that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Rep. John Murtha (D-PA) “call their plan the ’slow-bleed strategy.’” In fact, as Bresnahan clarified in a subsequent article, “slow-bleed” was “not a term used by any Democrats or the anti-war groups supporting their efforts.”

Nevertheless, conservatives continue to use the phrase to attack war critics. During this week’s Iraq debate, at least five members — Deborah Pryce (R-OH), Roy Blunt (R-MO), Thaddeus McCotter (R-MI), Jeb Hensarling (R-TX), and Adam Putnam (R-FL) — used the phrase on the House floor.

If only their rhetoric matched their voting record. In October 2003, as insurgent violence in Iraq was growing and military equipment shortages were becoming increasingly problematic, Rep. David Obey (D-WI) proposed an amendment shifting $3.6 billion to pay for better equipment and other quality-of-life measures for U.S. troops. Not one of the five voted for it.

That’s a real recipe for “slow bleed.”
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

Troops are always better off at home the question is whether the country will be better off, and how the troops being at home will affect the GWOT.

Remember to ask the RIGHT question. ;)
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

"The right question", meaning: any question to which the answer is "Follow the leader and keep your mouth shut". You're a big believer in authority and won't question the government because that is how you were formed. It's not your fault. You are ill.
    :rocker: :bricks:
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

I queastion the gov on all sorts of issues. Because I don't follow the crowd here and buy into all the crackpot deception theories doesn't make me ill. BUt I do believe many here are gullible, naive partisans.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I wasn't being serious when I said you were ill. It was sarcastic.
    You never question the government on the issue of war. Your reaction to matters like this is almost completely pro-war, even when discussing other wars and military action, it seems to me. Has there ever been a case when the US military was used wrongly in your opinion? If so, had you been alive at the time, wouldn't you have been hurting the troops?

It is patriotic to question the government on EVERYthing they do, and that includes war, which should be questioned more strictly than all other functions of the government, whether it's before, during or after the war. Just because a POW in Nam is pissed-off, that still doesn't mean the anti-war movement of the 60's and 70's was wrong or un-patriotic. This isn't Nazi Germany! (There... now the Nazi comparison has been made for today)
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Post of the Month, right here...
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

Questioning policy is one thing trying to undermine the troops in the field is another. That is what happened during VietNam (Which I saw first hand).

I also react negatively to every mistake being labeled as a lie or misleading. Wars are a series of F ups cause the opponent is trying to frustrate you. IF FDR had been hammered everytime he screwed up in WW2 we never would have won.

The GWOT isn't going to go away whether we leave Iraq or not. I think many delude themselves that if we leave Iraq and treat Al Queda as a criminal matter everything will be fine. I disagree with that position.

We have made all sorts of mistakes Since going into Iraq. For example we should have killed Sadr in the summer of 2003 when we had a chance. But I understand as many here apparently don't that mistakes happen during wars and that hindsight is 20/20.

At least your position is consistent Whista ( like Ron Paul's), I disagree with it because IMO it doesn't work in 21st century clash of cultures where a nuke that can kill millions can be put in a shipping container, being passive is unacceptable.

I don't think we should have gone into Viet Anm unless we were in to win. I am not clear that the political class was ever committed to doing what it would take to win.

I do get annoyed with people who are rooting for our guyus to lose to satisfy a political agenda.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

As our congressman, Jim McGovern made me proud for the first time on this latest non-binding resolution. This guy's a died-in-the-wool liberal democrat but he's a man of very deep conviction with whom I disagree with on almost everything. Despite our stark differences, we know each other personally, and we like each other (disclaimer), and he showed that he had guts when he voted against the resolution of non-support because he is completely against any further action in Iraq and wants the troops home yesterday. He's gonna catch hell from the sheep dems in Congress, but he really pulled a "Wellstone" on them. He's right.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Win What? Why should we have gone there in the first place? You're not asking the right questions! :bricks: