PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The ex-Raven player Jinx continues in Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Looks like Adalius is the latest player of the Ravens glory days when that defense was at its peak that went elsewhere and totally underplays with his new team.

How many times will a team take it up the ass by signing these guys?

There is definately a former Ravens player jinx going on because I don't think anyone can name a Raven from this decade that has gone elsewhere and prospered.

The Patriots were victims twice with Belichick blunders of the signing of Adalius Thomas and the infamous Duane Starks.

Others who have failed from the early decade Ravens defense currently includes an add-on in Bart Scott although in his first full season as a Jets has done about as much as Thomas.

It does not end there as on offense Jamal Lewis has never done much with the Browns and look at thier former DC Rex Ryan who appears to have been a major mistake judging by his first season.

Ray Lewis was smart enough to stay there as he probalby would be horrid on another team and even Ed Reed would probably become less than average elsewhere.

Lets stop signing these duds from Baltimore..O.K. BB??

WTF are you smoking? You actually think that guys like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed would be "less than average" outside of Baltimore? :rolleyes:

BTW, Jamal Lewis has surpassed 1,000 yards in both of his full seasons since leaving Baltimore, and was the focal point of their offense in 2007 when they went 10-6, rushing for 1300+ yards and 4.4 YPC. If anything, he's exceeded expectations since leaving Baltimore.

Priest Holmes set the TD record after leaving Baltimore.

Brandon Stokley has done far more since he left the Ravens than he ever did with them.

Chester Taylor had 1200 yards in his first year out of Baltimore, and has been splitting carries very efficiently with AP since.

Bart Scott is on pace to equal the production that he had with the Ravens, where he was always valuable for his versatility (and still is).

Jim Leonhard has been an excellent on-the-field leader for the Jets, and his production is right on par with what he did as a Raven.

Feel free to compare that track record to FAs from other teams. Seriously, check out how Pittsburgh's FAs have done over the past few years. Allan Faneca, Joey Porter, Larry Foote, Kendall Simmons, Kordell Stewart, Plaxico, Jason Gildon, Nate Washington, etc. - hits and misses across the board. Or check how the Pats' own FAs tend to do when they leave: McGinest, Vinatieri, Vrabel, Samuel, Gay, Gaffney, Stallworth, etc.

Last edited:
you are only as strong as the supporting cast around you. :(

WTF are you smoking? You actually think that guys like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed would be "less than average" outside of Baltimore? :rolleyes:

Was Adalius Thomas not one of the most sought after LBs in 2007 - Are you going to say you saw his putrid performance here coming?

Don't BS,You like me and all other Patriot fans had hard ons the day he was signed,Adalius was the TOP FA in 2007

How can you be so sure of the others? - No one has proven this wrong this decade as far as I can see.

To be fair, Baltimore ran Jamal Lewis into the ground before he went to Cleveland. Starks went to Arizona and didn't do jack, so it's not like he came straight from Baltimore to New England. That was just a stupid trade from the beginning.

When Thomas went to New England he was misused from the start. He showed flashes of what he did in Baltimore when New England used him more as a pass rusher. But New England's scheme is the exact opposite of what Baltimore does - blitz multiple people almost every play. Thomas was a beneficiary of teams having to worry so much about Ray Lewis, Trevor Pyrce, Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs coming off of the edge. Here in New England, they had a washed up Vrabel, Seymour until he was traded, Colvin for half a season, a young LB in Mayo and now Tully Banta-Cain. Last but not least, he's in coverage way to much.

As for Bart Scott, he doesn't see any drop off in his game because he's with Rex Ryan. As much as people don't like him on this board, I'd take him on my team any day of the week. Scott teamed up with Mayo would give this defense a nasty edge that they desperately need. The exact ingredient they have been missing since 2005.

Last edited:
Was Adalius Thomas not one of the most sought after LBs in 2007 - Are you going to say you saw his putrid performance here coming?

Don't BS,You like me and all other Patriot fans had hard ons the day he was signed,Adalius was the TOP FA in 2007

How can you be so sure of the others? - No one has proven this wrong this decade as far as I can see.

Priest Holmes alone is enough to completely invalidate your premise; the rest just make it even more ridiculous. I gave plenty of examples in my first post. And Lewis and Reed are both among the most talented all-time at what they do. If you think that simply changing teams would turn them from all-world talents to "less than average", then you know even less about football than I thought you did. Even Adalius is still is a pretty good LB; he's simply a headcase and a cancer in the locker room, which destroys his value. And Lewis and Reed are both 5 times the player that Thomas ever was or ever will be (maybe not anymore for Lewis, but in his prime it would be a joke to even compare the two).

As for the Thomas signing, I was cautiously optimistic at the time. I was excited that we were getting a guy who could rush the passer and cover tight ends, but reserved judgment until I saw how he could do in our system. He's always been an extremely athletic, versatile guy who didn't dominate in any facet of the game. I was 10x more excited about Moss.

Last edited:
Ex-Raven player jinx?

Adalius Thomas, Duane Starks, Vinny Testaverde, Brian Kinchen, Rick Lyle, Anthony Pleasant, O.J. Brigance...

That's your entire list of ex-Raven players that joined the Patriots since 2001. I think we're grasping at straws just a little bit here.

To be fair, Baltimore ran Jamal Lewis into the ground before he went to Cleveland. Starks went to Arizona and didn't do jack, so it's not like he came straight from Baltimore to New England. That was just a stupid trade from the beginning.

Lewis was fantastic for Cleveland in 2007.

Priest Holmes alone is enough to completely invalidate your premise; the rest just make it even more ridiculous. I gave plenty of examples in my first post. And Lewis and Reed are both among the most talented all-time at what they do. If you think that simply changing teams would turn them from all-world talents to "less than average", then you know even less about football than I thought you did.
Maybe not less than average as I mentioned but most likely not as dominating as they are now.

You see top players with a certain team go elsewhere and do little,some are a product of their former team while so do adjust,few in Baltimore have but some of the players you mentioned.

Lewis was fantastic for Cleveland in 2007.

Yeah, he did have a good year for them. I forgot about Priest Holmes. He was an absolute stud for KC for years. I remember New England was rumored to trade for him during the Pete Carrol era.

Last edited:
Maybe not less than average as I mentioned but most likely not as dominating as they are now.

You see top players with a certain team go elsewhere and do little,some are a product of their former team while so do adjust,few in Baltimore have but some of the players you mentioned.

Now that's what we call moving the goalposts. First it was "every FA that leaves Baltimore sucks", and 3 posts later you've reverted to "some of their departing FAs go on to suck and some don't." Meanwhile, Reed and Lewis have gone from "would be less than average elsewhere" to "most likely not as dominating as they are now."

Just a lousy premise all around. Ravens FAs don't bust any more often than FAs from most other teams.

I think a better title for the thread should be for the Pats to stay away from high priced FA's over the age of 30.

That was ONE good year since he arrived in Cleveland but he looks done now...

Well he's only been gone for 2 and a half years, and he's had one excellent year, one pretty good year, and now he's hurt, which is what tends to RBs with over 2500 career carries. He has exceeded post-Baltimore expectations in every conceivable way, and has been a great pickup for Cleveland.

I think a better title for the thread should be for the Pats to stay away from high priced FA's over the age of 30.

I'll co-sign on that- over-30 FAs can be great for the team (Rodney Harrison), but not for AD-type price tags.

Starks was with the Cardinals for three years when we picked him up.

Who else did we get from the Ravens?

Even for the breathless thread starter, this is a stretch.

Ed Reed would be awesome everywhere.

I'd love Ed Reed on the Pats, provided he doesn't have any more brainfarts against the Colts.

I'd love Ed Reed on the Pats, provided he doesn't have any more brainfarts against the Colts.

ravens d was solid that entire game in 2006.

Don't forget Ed Reed had a pick, returned it an assload of yards, and then it was called back b/c he "stepped out of bounds"

the replay showed that it wasnt close at all and he definitely didnt step out of bounds.

Unless im forgetting a game, i dont know what your talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down