PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The entire draft game

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
So this is what I'm proposing. You pick the entire 224, final number TBD, in the order you think they will be drafted. It doesn't matter about teams per se. If for instance Houston trades out of number one and the team trading up drafts Clowney and you have him that's still counts.

So this would be the point system.

First round any correct pick you subtract 1 from your score. Any pick where you are off by however many slots you add 1 to your score.

So for example

1. Clowney and he goes 1st -1
2. Robinson and he goes 2nd -1, total -2
3 Bortles but he went 8th +5, total +3

For each round thereafter it's still +1 for every slot you're off. However exact placement gets better.

Rounds 2-3 -2
Rounds 4-5 -3
Rounds 6-7 -4

Now there's the guys you pick who don't get drafted and the ones you don't who do.

For every slot until the end of the draft there's a +1 or -1. So you pick a guy at 220 and he doesn't get drafted that's +4. A guy you didn't pick gets taken at 220 instead that's another +4. Then there's a round penalty for each.

6th +5
5th +10
4th +15
3rd +20
2nd +50
1st +100

That may seem a little crazy but remember Vontaze Burfict went undrafted and some people had him in the second round and Sebastian Vollmer was a combine snub who went in the second round. I think this is where the game will probably be won or lost. Who really knows those fringe players the best.....or has BB's cell number to know what crazy second round pick he's going to make.

I think there's a certain strategy to it. Do you try to draft every pick exactly? Do you hedge your bets? For instance Derrick Carr could go top ten and he could go in the 2nd round so do you put him say 21st splitting the difference? Do you follow the general ranking systems or do you go with what your eyes are telling you on the film. Everybody has Amaro in the first but I don't see it. Am I willing to put him 35th when he's as high as 20 in some mocks.

What do people think? Fun, stupid, too much work? Everybody will have to score themselves at the end on the honor system. It's just too much work for anybody to do otherwise.

Too much work for me, but I'll enjoy seeing what others do.

For a nerd like me, I think it's a great idea but I'm not sure enough people share my level of nerdiness to predict all seven rounds to make it worthwhile. Would be great if they do but I suspect only a handful will take part.

My other issue is that I think now is too early. There's a lot that can change between now and draft day (comp picks haven't been decided yet for example). I am all for draft games and I like this one but I think it needs to be revisited in the second half of April. Just my two cents.

For a nerd like me, I think it's a great idea but I'm not sure enough people share my level of nerdiness to predict all seven rounds to make it worthwhile. Would be great if they do but I suspect only a handful will take part.

My other issue is that I think now is too early. There's a lot that can change between now and draft day (comp picks haven't been decided yet for example). I am all for draft games and I like this one but I think it needs to be revisited in the second half of April. Just my two cents.

I totally agree that it's too early but I wanted to plant the seed now. Comp picks aren't even set. I also agree it will probably be a small set of people doing it but really those are the people you want to go against anyway.

Too much work for me, but I'll enjoy seeing what others do.

Right because your 1000 posts in the last month just on Aaron Donald eat up all your free time. :D

I think you could manage it.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back