PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The end of an era for Big #55 Willie McGinest: To retire once the 2008 season ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggins!

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Willie McGinest...08 his last

heard Winter say on 890 this afternoon.....per SI dot com....Willie's done after the 08 season.....

that will be his 15th year in the league....man he played long.

http://www.sikids.com/2008/sifk/05/07/willie.mcginest/index.html

I think I can speak for all of us in this forum who agree we all love this great player no matter what Browns team he now plays on and I am sure most of us will always have him in our top 10 favorite Patriots players of all time.

Lets hope Willie goes out in style with a Pro Bowl type season - Just not too good if/when he plays the Patriots in the playoffs ;).

I want to see him in the Patriots Hall Of Fame within 5 years of his final season in 2008.

Last edited:
Re: Willie McGinest.....08 his last

Best of luck to him. Hope he gets a chance to add to his playoff sack total this season.

Re: The end of an era for Big #55 Willie McGinest - To retire once the 2008 season en

Any Pro Bowl type season is long in Willie's past. He's S..L..O..W and a shadow of his former self. Best wishes in a healthy retirement.

Re: The end of an era for Big #55 Willie McGinest: To retire once the 2008 season end

Good luck Willie. You'll always be an all time great and champion in my mind. He should sign a one day contract with the Pats next year and go out the right way.

Re: The end of an era for Big #55 Willie McGinest: To retire once the 2008 season end

God, what a career...

I still remember him coming out of USC and pairing up with Chris Slade out of Virgina...

Sladeandmcginest...it was like one word...

I loved them both so much I bought BOTH jerseys (#53 & #55)! The old Royal Blue first Elvis versions...

McG & Slade gave me a lot of good memories...

I wish he could come back and sign with us next training camp and then retire the next day, ala Thurman Thomas, Emmitt Smith, et al...

Willie IS a Patriot. I don't care where he plays!

Back to Sawx and Celts...see y'all in July...

Last edited:

Good luck Willie. You'll always be an all time great and champion in my mind. He should sign a one day contract with the Pats next year and go out the right way.

Indeed. He has rings and a record, and all are richly deserved.

Patriots team honors are all that remains, and then it's back to a business career in his home town of LA.

i still wear my 55 jersey for every game
not sure when ill give it up
ive said so much in here bout willie in the past, and i dont even know where to begin after i heard this news
ill admit that my eyes did well up with tears when i saw it on the bottomline, but im glad he came out with it like a farewell tour, that way at least i know this is his last yr goin in
i might try and go see a browns game just to say my own farewell
really wish i had gone to the game this yr when they came to town

willie did a lot for the pats, and i always felt he was slightly underrapreciated
but i think a lot of fans have realized that the drop in production from the linebacking corp, and his absence coming at the same time was no coincedence
i can still remember the early retirement rumors that seemed to float around every yr after his plethora of injuries
then, him not being protected in the houston texans expansion draft
and his four sack game against jax
his goal line stop of edge
his sack of peyton forcing them out of fg range
his td against the jets
his two consecutive tfl's against the texans in the 03 ot thriller
he simply had a knack for the big play
always restructured his contract when we needed him to
and was a true leader on and off the field
i know he prob wont make it to canton, but in my eyes he's a hall of famer

I'll always remember the goal line stop vs. Edge. Classic Willie. I hope he signs a 1 day contract to retire a Patriot:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes