PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The emergence of Sterling Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's been our best DB since we reclaimed him. He's a huge reason why the defense is not giving up as many yards and big plays.

I want him on Cruz. He's shifty and always sticks to his receiver.

I sure hope BB isn't planning on putting Edelman in the slot vs Victor Cruz...

Nah, it'll be Arrington probably.

I hear what you're saying about Edelman. The problem is that there really isn't anyone else to play his role. Molden and Jones certainly can't do it very well either.

One great play does not an emergence make.

Nice player but it's really too soon (or perhaps too late this year considering there's only one more game to play) to say he's emerged.

He has had a few good games already. Not just one great play. I agree with the original poster. McCourty has been very bad as a corner this year, for what ever reason, but he has been good as a saftey. With Moore at corner we have a decent corner and a good saftey. With McCourty at corner we have a decent corner and a bad saftey.

no ones talking about...sterling moore

what a nice pickup this kid has turned out to be..

without those two great defensive plays by moore, we likely dont win the game.

everyone keeps talking about "dropped td" but that wasnt dropped...moore made an amazing play on the ball there to knock it out of evans hands.

Re: no ones talking about...sterling moore

He got beat on the Evan's play, let up a touchdown with a poor tackle.

ehhh....

Yep..........

ehhh....

Yes he did, and that is unacceptable.

That said, his coverage skills have been very good since he started playing here.

We've seen McCourty miss plenty of tackles, believe me.

If that one missed tackle is going to stick with you, then I can respect that, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't applaud his improved coverage as a whole.

I trust Arrington the most. Then Moore. McLotion has been brutal.

ehhh....

And I'm not sure I would consider his coverage on the Evans play as "getting beat," since it was a very short route, basic play.

The missed tackle was very poor, but judging by that we should be upset with everyone on this defense for missing an important tackle this yr.

We saw Fletcher miss the Tebow tackle in game one, and don't hold a grudge. We've seen McCourty miss tackles in just about every game, as he has gotten run over plenty of times straight out. We've seen Arrington, even Chung miss tackles.

The better topic is his coverage, and that's improved the secondary. Otherwise, he wouldn't be out there.

And I'm not sure I would consider his coverage on the Evans play as "getting beat," since it was a very short route, basic play.

The missed tackle was very poor, but judging by that we should be upset with everyone on this defense for missing an important tackle this yr.

We saw Fletcher miss the Tebow tackle in game one, and don't hold a grudge. We've seen McCourty miss tackles in just about every game, as he has gotten run over plenty of times straight out. We've seen Arrington, even Chung miss tackles.

The better topic is his coverage, and that's improved the secondary. Otherwise, he wouldn't be out there.

He had his back to the QB, that's getting beat. Luckily he made a nice play to strip the ball.

I trust Arrington the most. Then Moore. McLotion has been brutal.

Halfway through the season, Arrington had a very good opposing QB rating, which I believe was 44. In comparison, McCourty had an opposing QB rating of about 120.

I don't know what the current QB opposition ratings are. I would be curious to see them.

I think Arrington is a very good #2 or #3 guy, but I think the same about McCourty too (as a whole, he had a terrible year at CB). I still think we're missing that true #1 CB here, which is a shame b/c everyone including me, assumed that it was DMcC going into the season.

I would expect it to be addressed in free agency, and I also think we may luck out if Dowling can stay healthy, which is a big IF. I do remember Dowling looking okay in the brief appearences that he made this yr though.

I'd rather us find a legit FS which hopefully gets McCourty back to his 2010 form. He was a bonafide #1 stud corner. Arrington opposite him. Then Dowling/Moore can provide quality depth at CB/S. Until that happens I'd be fine with McCourty at FS and Dowling/Moore at CB, but the ideal to me would be the former. I like Moore and he made an amazing play on Evans, but I'm not sold on him being the long term answer at CB. He did give up a TD on a play that he should have tackled the guy and force a long FG attempt. That was a 4 point swing, could have been a 7 point swing.

He had his back to the QB, that's getting beat. Luckily he made a nice play to strip the ball.

Oh that play. I thought you were talking about the other play where he missed the tackle.

As a whole, I think that Moore has done the best job of actually turning around and looking for the ball out of all the CB's. It's hard for me to hold that one on him since he actually made the pass breakup, but I can definitely see what you're saying.

Overall, I still think his coverage has been pretty tight, especially considering that he's a rookie.

I'd rather us find a legit FS which hopefully gets McCourty back to his 2010 form. He was a bonafide #1 stud corner.

Why should he need a legit FS if he's a bonafide #1 stud corner? If he's that good having a bonafide FS would be a luxury not a necessity.

I'd rather us find a legit FS which hopefully gets McCourty back to his 2010 form. He was a bonafide #1 stud corner. Arrington opposite him. Then Dowling/Moore can provide quality depth at CB/S. Until that happens I'd be fine with McCourty at FS and Dowling/Moore at CB, but the ideal to me would be the former. I like Moore and he made an amazing play on Evans, but I'm not sold on him being the long term answer at CB. He did give up a TD on a play that he should have tackled the guy and force a long FG attempt. That was a 4 point swing, could have been a 7 point swing.

We have free agency and the draft to try and develop another safety, and I think that is a priority for sure.

It will be interesting to see how BB takes his approach. Will it be continuing through the draft, where he has not found much success at the position, or will he address it like he did the DE's this yr, with more experience in free agency?

I'm thinking a safe bet would be a safety draft pick and a free agent CB, but it may be a blend of the two somehow also.

I agree that I would start at safety first too, but I also think that you can never have enough 'good' CB's, so I would want another CB--but this time I think I would explore some free agent options maybe.

Why should he need a legit FS if he's a bonafide #1 stud corner? If he's that good having a bonafide FS would be a luxury not a necessity.

Well he's not Revis or Deion Sanders as we saw, he's not going to shut down one side of the field, but his performance at CB in 2010 >>>> Moore at CB.

I agree with that thinking too, oldskool--at least on some level anyway.

I think that trusting your safeties certainly helps as a CB, and that situation didn't allow McCourty to move forward in his development this yr, but at the same time I also agree that McCourty should have played a lot better and we can't use the safety factor as an excuse for him. You don't see the better CB's in the league having problems with changes at safety, and it happens all the time.

After all, many if not most, were already touting him as the next Revis. That has turned out to be a joke.

The best question is--who is the 'real' McCourty? Year one? Or year two? My guess is somewhere in the middle.

Just an excuse people are hanging onto. Like, don't worry guys, Taylor Price just needs more time because the whole late Ohio graduation messed him up (even though plenty of other rookies out of that state contribute completely fine in the same situation). Or Ocho would be good if he had the offseason, even though plenty of other players switched teams or systems completely fine without the offseason.

Last edited:
Well he's not Revis or Deion Sanders as we saw, he's not going to shut down one side of the field, but his performance at CB in 2010 >>>> Moore at CB.

Oh, no doubt.

His performance at CB in 2010 >>> most of the elite CB's in the league. He was absolutely lights out last year.

I can't believe the regression. It's like night and day.

I keep hearing that McCourty is our best tackler, but I do not agree with that at all. His coverage is awful at times, especially turning and looking for the ball. It's almost like his hands were tied behind his back.

He has improved, but a lot of that improvement has been at safety.

I'm not sure who to blame for the miscommunication yesterday, but it certainly gave all of the momentum back to the Ravens. It was a very important play, especially considering that the Pats had held them to absolutely nothing in the first 2 drives. That play really switched the whole confidence level in Flacco, and the defense never returned to the dominating first 2 drives--although they held their own a lot of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes