Welcome to PatsFans.com

The economy forces WalMart to acknowledge Christmas

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Nov 29, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

I watched a commercial for WalMart this morning and saw them do something I have never seen before...acknowledge Christmas publically. The commerial not only acknowledged the holiday that is responsible for all the "holiday season" shopping, it declared it outright. Kudos to WalMart.

The commercial started right off by saying "at WalMart, we're making Christmas shopping easy" and toward the end of the brief commercial (about 20-30 seconds), I heard the phrase "WalMart, for all your Christmas needs".

I give WalMart kudos not because I am a Christmas person or because I'm Christian, but just because of the economic facts. And the facts are; for most retailers, holiday sales (Thanksgiving to Christmas) generates anywhere from 25 to 50% of annual sales and it is by far THE most competitive time of year for retailers. The holiday that is responsible for all these sales is "Christmas". Without this holiday, there would be no Black Friday and probably no holiday sales period.

This isn't about thanking Christians, it's about thanking the people that are responsible for the success or failure of their business...Christmas shoppers.

Sadly, if it weren't for the shrinking economy and forecast for poor holiday sales, I doubt WalMart would have made this acknowledgement. The truth is, WalMart and other retailers should do this openly and willingly every year for Christmas shoppers are their bread & butter.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think they did this last year too. I know that they got railed by customers for being PC one year, and have been saying CHRISTmas ever since. Imagine someone having the balls to say CHRISTmas on, well, CHRISTmas. :eek:
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

You guys are absolutely right about Christmas generating an awful lot of material splurging. A couple of months ago that was a bad thing, as we realized we'd been using houses as ATMs, and destroyed the economy, to splurge on gifts, whether to ourselves or others. Now it's a good thing, as we attempt to get the economy to rebound (and the industry that loaned money incredibly irresponsibly has been pumped full of taxpayer dollars and told 'you better start being irresponsible again or we're all f***ed!")

Perhaps that's an overcharacterization. They're being told to find a happy medium between having a big lending orgy and keeping it in a vault. But still, the flip-flopping of "spend!" vs. "oh you bad spenders!" is dizzying.

Regardless, I am none too sure that evoking one religion's icons will amplify the effect. The elusive "Christmas Spirit" certainly has a boldly materialistic public face, but I think the "Spirit of Deep Discounts" may be the determining factor (I didn't see Santa, Jesus, or 3 wise men anywhere in Circuit City on Friday, but I did have to spend 15 minutes circling the parking lot for a space... and then concluded "hold on. I never wanted an X-box before... wtf?" and went home.)

PFnV
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

One another note, you're absolutely right about the materialistic aspect of christmas. It doesn't sit right with me either. But even my parents tell me that they put themselves in hock every year just to see the look on our faces. I think something else has eroded the true christmas spirit as well, I just can't put my finger on it.

Maybe it's the "hurry-up!" or "get TF outta my way" nature of shoppers that just seems to grow each year. To your point PFiVA, I think greed can ruin anything from a holiday to a world-wide economy.

Unlike the famous "Wall Street" line

GREED IS NOT GOOD.
  5. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Materialism is a choice. If a person wants to waste money, they don't need CHRISTmas to do it. So blaming CHRISTmas for society's spending problems is a little silly.

Anyhow, back the the thread topic. They went back to saying CHRISTmas in 2006. So their saying CHRISTmas has nothing to do with the 2008 economic crisis.

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

I was aware when they started using a christmas greeting again, but I actually saw a commercial where that was specifically targeted toward christmas shoppers. Previously, WalMart never did that on television. They always said "all your holiday shopping...."

Regarding your first comment (in blue), of course we can't blame christmas for consumers over spending, but we can blame greed for ruining christmas. And it has to an extent. But our economic system is based upon greed, so how can we really blame anyone?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

So they actually say it like that at Walmart? "CHRIST mass"? Or do they say Christmas like everybody else?
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

If anyone ever said it like that to me, I'd dope slap em!
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

10. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm sure you saw, and remember, all the CHRISTmas commercials Walmart has used since 2006.
  11. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Nope, they don't say CHRIST mass. They say CHRISTmas like most normal people do. ;)
  12. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Imagine, PR a neocon. Who'd a thunk it? :confused2:
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Another victory for the ALMIGHTY!
    BOW BEFORE HIM!

[​IMG]
  14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

So the Walmart shoppers in Long Island that burst through the doors and trampled an employee, then wouldn't stop shopping while paramedics tried to save his life, were they Christmas shoppers or CHRISTmas shoppers?
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

If someone got killed, they couldn't have been christmas shoppers...they MUST have been CHRISTmas shoppers!:eek:
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

I have said many, many times that I'm a moderate democrat. I don't believe in "party lines" or platforms, so I don't support them. Anyone whose political beliefs can be painted with a the single stroke of a party line or the "liberal/conservative" brush stroke can not think for themselves.

I have a passionate distaste for corporate America, yet I believe in the laws of free market capitalism.

I have no tolerance toward racism, yet I'm strongly in favor of increased protection of US borders.

I have a strong reliance upon my faith (not religion, but personal faith), yet I'm pro-choice.

I favor the death penalty in cases where there is indisputeable genetic evidence.

I'm in favor of stem-cell technologies.
  17. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually, they were savage primitives. ;)
  18. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

[​IMG]
  19. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well lookee here, we've got ourselves a thinker.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

thank you...thank you very much:cool:

I want to thank all the little people for making this possible....
  21. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You're welcome!

[IMG]http://www.network54.com/Realm/Beer_Call/guild.jpg
    [​IMG]
  22. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

23. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

I'd love to give my opinion as to what they really were but, (no comment).