Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Economics of Medical Care

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Nov 3, 2009.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 10 / -14

A series from the Brilliant economist T Sowell, too bad he is almost 80 he would be my candidate for President.

Investors.com - The Economics of Medical Care

Part 1: Economics of Medical Care

Part 2: How Quality of Medical Care is Influenced by Price Controls

Part 3: How Payments by Third Parties Distorts Health Care Decisions

Part 4: Cost of Malpractice Insurance goes beyond Doctor's Premiums.

Part 5: How the Cost of Drug Development is lost on Politicians & Public

If you want to understand the Health Care debate and where the real solutions are this series is must reading.

[​IMG]

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 10 / -14

From Part 2:

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I've been saying this forever, we are OVER INSURED. Just like I get no dental, I would prefer to get no coverage for the little stuff and pay less for the big stuff like cancer, heart attack, etc. The problem with insurance companies isn't that they don't cover enough it's that they cover too much and no-one cares what anything costs.

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +681 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

And those policies are widely available, Belichick...they're called Catastrophic Coverage and most every insurance carrier offers them.

5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

one of the biggest MYTHS is that quality of care goes down with government programs/controls. Multiple other nations pay 7-8% of GDP compared to 15% of US GDP and they live longer.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I don't think it's available to me - but, regardless, it would help if those were the typical, usual policies so then doctors would consider that the norm - as opposed to the vast majority letting insurance pay out the ass and the doctor looking at them funny if they say it's too expensive because insurance isn't covering it.

But, yeah, in addition to tort reform, opening insurance up wider to more competition across state lines, etc, would help a lot.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

They also have different lifestyles. Not only are we immensely fat, as a nation, we also have more sedentary lifestyles, generally work more hours and have more stress. I don't think it's JUST government healthcare.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +681 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Well, jeez, that sounds just totally un-american like, doesn't it?

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +681 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

And one of the reason we work more hours is because our health care is so expensive and we need those extra hours to pay either for it or for the things we can't afford because we are already paying for "it." Ditto for the stress level - what do American's stress the most about? Their health, the health of their families, their retirement, who or what is going to take care of them when they get old or sick and their finances - and what will happen to those finances in case of a health emergency or serious accident.

Remove those stressors and what have you got? Some sort of National Health Care program.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

Compounding this thought is the whole referral/specialty game.... sometimes it is warranted, other times it is not.. if I miss a yearly test the Insurance company sends me a reminder to get it done...

11. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

You know what's a good stress reliever.....Exercise. Obesity is a big problem in this country. Obesity is also increases your risk factor for all kinds of life threatning illnesses. Maybe insurance companies should just charge by the pound?

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

That is a tremendous stretch. You have really long arms there, little missy. There could be a small factor there but it's just a small one. Remember, MOST people have health insurance and most people are happy with their healthcare.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

"Little Missy".. misogyny raises its ugly little head...

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +681 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

They skipped right past that part and just made it a "pre-existing" condition and went right for the exclusion.

The term preexisting condition has always had a negative connotation because it prevents an ordinary citizen from availing timely and appropriate health insurance coverage or making him or her pay a hefty cost when coverage is acquired. Each insurance company can have its own arbitrary list of pre-existing conditions that can be excluded from the insurance coverage, such as pregnancy, obesity, arthritis, diabetes, and depression (Preexisting Conditions and Health Insurance).

http://trendsupdates.com/the-use-of...mpanies-the-handicap-of-universal-healthcare/

15. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

Well there is one health care reform. We make the pre-existing list less "arbitrary". How about if you fall into the overwieght catagory they can't use it to preclude you but you have enlist in some sort of health and lifestyle program. Telling people no isn't the answer. Give them the tools to fix it. I just wonder if people would actually be willing to be accountable for themselves?

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +681 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

:) How sweet of you to notice. ROFLMAO

It's ok - I've been called much worse things here this morning already.

Seems to be a bit of a trend, tho, doesn't it?

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

Only confirms my believe of the right, if you do not agree they call you names... if you are anything left of Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachman, they will label you things like "Pant Suit" or something about your teeth... all they do with this rhetoric is drive more and more folks away from the "party of family values".... and show how extreme they really are.

18. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

Not always.......

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +740 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

I was just trying to be funny. Jesus, get your head out of your uptight ass. Liberals, what a lot of fun these stiffs are.

:rolleyes:

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +681 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Oh sure - it's all well and fine til someone gets an eye poked out.

How "funny" would it be to anyone if you addressed a black man as "little ni**er" or a gay guy as "Little Fa**ot, or a Jew as "Little Ki*e?"

The point is - you most likely wouldn't do so - at least not here. You'd know instinctivly that it wouldn't fly well - and your instincts would be right. People are people and they are far more than their identifying color, race, religion or sexuality. To address them by one of those things sort of states, in a roundabout sort of way, that you haven't quite figured that out yet. Regardless, you'd not use any of those terms above to refer to someone here - either because you've outgrown the need or because you know you'd get reemed for it.

There never seems to be the same filter for women, however. It's usually ok, we've grown pretty thick skin by necessity - but it's really not humerous - it's not necessarily demeaning, either, it's more of an annoyance than anything else - and a reminder of how far we've come and how far we've still got to go.

Plus, you've got to consider the context in which it was written....there was nothing else "funny" about your post, you were fairly seriouis about and you and I are not close friends that everyone knows about - making it pretty hard for the average reader to understand you were "just kidding."

You were fairly serious about my statement being a "stretch" and I know you truly believe that most people have health insurance and that they're happy about it - and so there's no real reason for anyone to assume you were being playful in stating so.

I don't much care one way or the other......I'm a big girl and I'll take my lumps along with everyone else. But you've got to understand there's always a part of me that knows other women aren't quite so agreeable or understanding and that I'm always aware that careless remarks can hurt someone - maybe not me, but someone.....if I don't say something I let them down somehow.

Call it "sisterhood."