PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Early Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
And so comes the first of about twenty million mock drafts to grace this board in the next few months. I am currently using Great Blue North's rankings for teams, which are based solely on win percentage thusfar and strength of schedule.

#1 Detroit: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame. The Lions need a QB for the future, and Quinn is their most likely pick for this position.
#2 Arizona: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin: The best player available at a need position for the Cardinals.
#3 Oakland: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech: The best player available at ANY position in the draft falls right into Al Davis' lap.
#4 Houston: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma: The Texans passed up Reggie Bush last year. They won't pass on a RB of the future again, especially when he is the best player available.
#5 Cleveland: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan: The Browns need a huge DT to stuff up the middle for their franchise, and Branch is perfectly suited for the position.
#6 Tampa Bay: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson: The Bucaneers need new, young talent on the defensive line and the best defensive end in the draft will suit them nicely.
#7 Green Bay: Marshawn Lynch, RB, UCLA: The Packers picked up their future franchise quarterback two years ago; now they will select their RB of the future.
#8 Washington: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan: The Redskins need a player who can upgrade their secondary beyond its current paltry state. Leon Hall could end up being that player.
#9 Pittsburgh: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State: The Steelers go for the best lineman on the board to improve their front five.
#10 Tennessee: Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC: Behind Drew Bennett, who could leave in the offseason, the Titans have little WR depth. The Titans hope to fill this hole with Jarrett.
#11 Atlanta: Laron Landry, S, LSU: The defensive secondary for the Falcons has been porous, and Landry can help them stop the deep threat.
#12 Minnesota: Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame: The Vikings once again find themselves without a legitimate threat at WR and hope that the sure-handed WR out of Notre Damecan fix this problem.
#13 St. Louis: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State: The Rams need an eventual replacement for the aging Dexter Coakley at WR.
#14 San Francisco: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State: The 49ers continue to fill gaps in their personnel, this time taking a cornerback who could become a shutdown threat in the NFL.
#15 Philadelphia: Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio State: The Eagles hope they have finally found a WR at the level of Terrell Owens again in Ted Ginn.
#16 Miami: Jake Long, OT, Michigan: The Dolphins line can still be improved, and the Dolphins want their franchise tackle to be this stud out of Michigan.
#17 Buffalo: Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State: The J.P. Losman era is likely over, and Troy Smith could be the leader that the Bills have been looking for.
#18 New York Jets: Frank Okam, DT, Texas: The Jets hope that this huge defensive lineman can give them better run support and a rush up the middle.
#19 Carolina: Zach Miller, TE, Arizona: The Panthers could use a receiving threat at TE to compliment Steve Smith and Keyshawn at WR.
#20 Jacksonville: Sam Baker, OT, USC: The Jaguars could use a better run blocking line, and Baker is precisely the guy to give that blocking threat up front.
#21 New York Giants: Quinn Pit****, DT, Ohio State: The Giants need to improve the middle of their front seven, and Pit**** is the most talented tackle on the board.
#22 Cincinnati: Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia: Though DE isn't really a need position for the Bengals, they can't pass up such a good player this late in the first round.
#23 New England (from Seattle): Lamarr Woodley, OLB, Michigan: The Patriots snatch the best elephant in the draft out from under the noses of other 3-4 teams.
#24 Dallas: Justin Blalock, OG, Texas: That the Cowboys can stand to improve their offensive line is a massive understatement. Blalock is the best lineman available.
#25 New Orleans: Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma: Though Mark Simneau has been a rock up the middle, the Saints could still use more talent at the OLB position.
#26 Kansas City: Aaron Sears, OT, Tennessee: A stretch? Vastly. A huge need? Even more so.
#27 Denver: Brandon Meriweather, FS, Miami: The Broncos cover up a future need, as John Lynch won't last forever.
#28 New England: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh: The Patriots pick up one of the biggest talents in the draft at the cornerback position.
#29 Baltimore: Kenny Irons, RB, LSU: The Ravens hope that Irons will add some youth and speed to the runningback rotation.
#30 San Diego: Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss: The Chargers are lacking depth and youth at the ILB position and hope that Willis can be their next Donnie Edwards.
#31 Chicago: Rufus Alexander, LB, Oklahoma: If Lance Briggs leaves in the offseason, this position could be a concern for the Bears.
#32 Indianapolis: Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State: Just kidding. The Colts select a new defensive lineman to add to the tackle rotation...Amobi Okoye.

I look forward to your responses.

And so comes the first of about twenty million mock drafts to grace this board in the next few months. I am currently using Great Blue North's rankings for teams, which are based solely on win percentage thusfar and strength of schedule.

#1 Detroit: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame. The Lions need a QB for the future, and Quinn is their most likely pick for this position.
#2 Arizona: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin: The best player available at a need position for the Cardinals.
#3 Oakland: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech: The best player available at ANY position in the draft falls right into Al Davis' lap.
#4 Houston: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma: The Texans passed up Reggie Bush last year. They won't pass on a RB of the future again, especially when he is the best player available.
#5 Cleveland: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan: The Browns need a huge DT to stuff up the middle for their franchise, and Branch is perfectly suited for the position.
#6 Tampa Bay: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson: The Bucaneers need new, young talent on the defensive line and the best defensive end in the draft will suit them nicely.
#7 Green Bay: Marshawn Lynch, RB, UCLA: The Packers picked up their future franchise quarterback two years ago; now they will select their RB of the future.
#8 Washington: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan: The Redskins need a player who can upgrade their secondary beyond its current paltry state. Leon Hall could end up being that player.
#9 Pittsburgh: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State: The Steelers go for the best lineman on the board to improve their front five.
#10 Tennessee: Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC: Behind Drew Bennett, who could leave in the offseason, the Titans have little WR depth. The Titans hope to fill this hole with Jarrett.
#11 Atlanta: Laron Landry, S, LSU: The defensive secondary for the Falcons has been porous, and Landry can help them stop the deep threat.
#12 Minnesota: Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame: The Vikings once again find themselves without a legitimate threat at WR and hope that the sure-handed WR out of Notre Damecan fix this problem.
#13 St. Louis: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State: The Rams need an eventual replacement for the aging Dexter Coakley at WR.
#14 San Francisco: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State: The 49ers continue to fill gaps in their personnel, this time taking a cornerback who could become a shutdown threat in the NFL.
#15 Philadelphia: Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio State: The Eagles hope they have finally found a WR at the level of Terrell Owens again in Ted Ginn.
#16 Miami: Jake Long, OT, Michigan: The Dolphins line can still be improved, and the Dolphins want their franchise tackle to be this stud out of Michigan.
#17 Buffalo: Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State: The J.P. Losman era is likely over, and Troy Smith could be the leader that the Bills have been looking for.
#18 New York Jets: Frank Okam, DT, Texas: The Jets hope that this huge defensive lineman can give them better run support and a rush up the middle.
#19 Carolina: Zach Miller, TE, Arizona: The Panthers could use a receiving threat at TE to compliment Steve Smith and Keyshawn at WR.
#20 Jacksonville: Sam Baker, OT, USC: The Jaguars could use a better run blocking line, and Baker is precisely the guy to give that blocking threat up front.
#21 New York Giants: Quinn Pit****, DT, Ohio State: The Giants need to improve the middle of their front seven, and Pit**** is the most talented tackle on the board.
#22 Cincinnati: Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia: Though DE isn't really a need position for the Bengals, they can't pass up such a good player this late in the first round.
#23 New England (from Seattle): Lamarr Woodley, OLB, Michigan: The Patriots snatch the best elephant in the draft out from under the noses of other 3-4 teams.
#24 Dallas: Justin Blalock, OG, Texas: That the Cowboys can stand to improve their offensive line is a massive understatement. Blalock is the best lineman available.
#25 New Orleans: Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma: Though Mark Simneau has been a rock up the middle, the Saints could still use more talent at the OLB position.
#26 Kansas City: Aaron Sears, OT, Tennessee: A stretch? Vastly. A huge need? Even more so.
#27 Denver: Brandon Meriweather, FS, Miami: The Broncos cover up a future need, as John Lynch won't last forever.
#28 New England: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh: The Patriots pick up one of the biggest talents in the draft at the cornerback position.
#29 Baltimore: Kenny Irons, RB, LSU: The Ravens hope that Irons will add some youth and speed to the runningback rotation.
#30 San Diego: Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss: The Chargers are lacking depth and youth at the ILB position and hope that Willis can be their next Donnie Edwards.
#31 Chicago: Rufus Alexander, LB, Oklahoma: If Lance Briggs leaves in the offseason, this position could be a concern for the Bears.
#32 Indianapolis: Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State: Just kidding. The Colts select a new defensive lineman to add to the tackle rotation...Amobi Okoye.

I look forward to your responses.

I'm banking on the pat's having the 32 pick.

I'm banking on the pat's having the 32 pick.

Me too. However, I wanted an objective list. I used the one from Great Blue North, a site that I respect, and they ranked the Pats at #28 based on record and strength of schedule. Indy was #32 because they have one loss.

I can't argue with your choices.

Other viable options at 23 would be Merriweather, if he checks out after the fight episode, or Reggie Nelson as he's said to be coming out.

Speaking of DBs did I hear that McCauley had a so-so Senior Year and was even benched for a short time ? I wonder if there's any chance of him slipping down a bit based on that.

Nice Mock.
I'm thinking Romeo is doing cartwheels in the halls of Browns stadium if Branch lands in his lap.
Same thing for Reid if Ginn falls to him.

Texas A&M has a HUGE 270 lb RB with decent feet, no speed. And I can see Pittsburgh snatching him up on day one.

i think Willis would be abetter pick over Woodley. not bad though

I also like Patrick Willis, LB from Ole Miss as a 1st rounder

I'm thinking Romeo is doing cartwheels in the halls of Browns stadium if Branch lands in his lap
A little offtopic but I don't think Romeo will be doing anything in Cleveland in April. The new Head Coach there might do cartwheels though.

I like quite a few of your picks also especially the Texans going for Adrian Peterson this guy is a true running back for sure and it will be interesting to see if he is on the board when they pick how long will it take the card to get to the Commish.

Last edited:
Nice job, but you drafted Rufus Alexander twice. Having tried to do a 32 pick mock many times myself, I completely sympathize.

Did I miss the first round TE pick?? OTOH, I like the idea of a LB and CB, who we can lock up for 5 or 6 years.

Excellent mock. I think you have a good assessment of team needs.

Nice job, but you drafted Rufus Alexander twice. Having tried to do a 32 pick mock many times myself, I completely sympathize.

Oh, crap. I meant to replace the first Rufus with Quentin Moses, for New Orleans. Thank you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the TJ Duckett trade involve Wasington and Denver swapping 1st round picks if they were more than 15 places apart? If I'm right and the draft does turn out like this then Washington would have the 27th pick... and Denver would have the 8th!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the TJ Duckett trade involve Wasington and Denver swapping 1st round picks if they were more than 15 places apart? If I'm right and the draft does turn out like this then Washington would have the 27th pick... and Denver would have the 8th!
Thankfully you're wrong. I thought the same thing and looked into it. The first round swap was only if the swap was about equal to a #3 pick. So the only way they would swap #1s would be if Denver was in the mid to late 20s and Washington was in the early 20s.

It was very convoluted.

Troy Smith, in first round? o_O

In a wishfull fans thinking kind of way I love the 2 Patriots selections. However, Belichick will draft a LT to groom for Matt Light. Love Light but he's been batterd in the trenches for a while...an extra season really considering the 3 rings.

I would go with CB if Belichick keeps both picks...the LB will come in round 2 IMO.

In a wishfull fans thinking kind of way I love the 2 Patriots selections. However, Belichick will draft a LT to groom for Matt Light. Love Light but he's been batterd in the trenches for a while...an extra season really considering the 3 rings.

I would go with CB if Belichick keeps both picks...the LB will come in round 2 IMO.

With Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan and Mankins signed through 2010, 2009, 2009, and 2009 respectively, why would you think they would draft a 1st round LT this year and have them sit on the bench for 2 years?

I think its very unlikely the Pats draft a OT this year unless they figure to find someone to replace Yates. And, I'm not sure I see that happening since Yates is a C/G and the replacement would be a G/T. Also, don't rule out Sean Bubin, a 6'6" LT who is on the PRactice Squad. Also, Wesley Britt could be a factor as well.

With Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan and Mankins signed through 2010, 2009, 2009, and 2009 respectively, why would you think they would draft a 1st round LT this year and have them sit on the bench for 2 years?

I think its very unlikely the Pats draft a OT this year unless they figure to find someone to replace Yates. And, I'm not sure I see that happening since Yates is a C/G and the replacement would be a G/T. Also, don't rule out Sean Bubin, a 6'6" LT who is on the PRactice Squad. Also, Wesley Britt could be a factor as well.

The fly in the ointment could be O'C's health. Theses concussions are serious and could lead to a short career.

I wonder if the Pats would consider putting O'C on IR to let him heal up and not jeopardize his career.

Or maybe, someone like me, who has no medical training, is over-reacting?

Last edited:
The fly in the ointment could be O'C's health. Theses concussions are serious and could lead to a short career.

I wonder if the Pats would consider putting O'C on IR to let him heal up and not jeopardize his career.

Or maybe, someone like me, who has no medical training, is over-reacting?

The only concussion that I could find in O'Callaghan's career happened 2 years ago. I also don't believe that his recent injury was a concussion but a neck stinger.

Yes, injuries could lead to a short career, but the Patriots have 3 candidates to replace O'Callaghan right now.

We can play the "Injury What-If" game until we are blue in the face, it won't change that the Patriots have 5 OTs signed not including Mankins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing