PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Early Mock (3/14/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Well, here's another edition of The Early Mock, once again available with pictures and colorful sidebars on ArmchairGM.com. Just the first round this time, and there's a trade in there to mix things up.

1 Oakland: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU: Oakland loves Russell’s long bomb and is hoping that hecan lead their offense for years to come.

2 Detroit: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin: The recent trend is to select Brady Quinn with this pick, but the Lions hold strong with their man Thomas.

3 Cleveland: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma: I don’t care that they’ve signed Jamal Lewis. They still need a top RB, and Peterson is a great player.

4 Tampa Bay: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech: Johnson should do very well for the Buccaneers, who need a talented WR to bring Chris Simms along.

5 Arizona: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson: The Cardinals haven’t really addressed their need for a pass rush so far in free agency, so they select the best defensive lineman available with their first pick.

6 Washington: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan: The Redskins could use a boost at defensive tackle, where there has been a need since the beginning of this year.

7 Minnesota: Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio State: The Vikings are looking for a game-breaking WR, and Ginn could be their man.

8 New England (from Houston): LaRon Landry, S, LSU: The Patriots look to boost their secondary from the get-go, adding the best safety in the draft to a young and quickly improving secondary. New England also receives Houston’s third-round pick. Houston receives New England’s first-round picks.
9 Miami: Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas: Anderson’s speed and strength gives Miami more that enough reason to select him.

10 Atlanta: Reggie Nelson, FS, Florida: Nelson’s Pro Day numbers are definitely strong enough to put him in the Top Ten of this year’s draft.

11 San Francisco: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska: After filling many of their defensive holes in free agency, the 49ers boost their DE spot with who may be the ideal lineman for their defense.

12 Buffalo: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan: The Bills haven’t replaced Nate Clements so far, and Hall looks to be a definite starter in the NFL.

13 St. Louis: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville: Okoye slips a little and the Rams are more than happy to snatch him up.

14 Carolina: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame: Quinn slips more than a little and the Panthers are plenty happy to draft their next QB of the future.

15 Pittsburgh: Jarvis Moss, DE/OLB, Florida: Drafting Moss still leaves the Steelers with plenty of options as to what they do with their defense when the season begins.

16 Green Bay: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California: Lynch would be a good fit for the Packers, and they still haven’t addressed their need at RB.

17 Jacksonville: Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State: Timmons is a little bit of a reach here, but he could definitely be a solid playmaker for the Jaguars.

18 Cincinnati: Greg Olsen, TE, Miami: Olsen would become another fantastic target for Palmer’s great arm.

19 Tennessee: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee: The local prospect gets a chance to star in the big leagues with the Titans, who need an elite wide receiver to give their team a boost.

20 New York Giants: Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas: Houston is jumping up draft boards all over the place, and though I don’t trust this high of a placement quite yet, Houston should be a solid pick for the Giants.

21 Denver: Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia: The Broncos should get plenty of use out of Johnson, as they could use another balanced DE to give them strength against the run and the pass.

22 Dallas: Brandon Meriweather, FS, Miami: A Meriweather-Williams secondary is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

23 Kansas City: Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC: Jarrett is good value this low in the first round and the Chiefs still need an elite WR.

24 Houston (from Seattle through New England): Levi Brown, OT, Penn State: Hopefully Levi Brown will become the keystone around whom the rest of the Texans’ offensive line begins to improve.

25 New York Jets: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh: Revis is dropping because he hasn’t run yet, but the Jets like his talents anyway and make a decent selection towards the end of the first round.

26 Philadelphia: Michael Griffin, SS, Texas: The Eagles look to replace Michael Lewis in their secondary with another hard-hitting defensive back, Michael Griffin.

27 New Orleans: Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss: There isn’t really any explanation as to why Willis has dropped so far, only that he will be a forced to be reckoned with in the Saints’ front seven.

28 Houston (from New England): Justin Blalock, OG, Texas: The Texans decide to truly dedicate to improving their offensive line by using both first-round picks on linemen, this time an offensive guard.

29 Baltimore: Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn: Grubbs is another good blocker and the Ravens want to give McGahee plenty of room to run behind.

30 San Diego: Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina: The Charges still haven’t addressed their need at WR and Rice is the best player available at the position.

31 Chicago: Jon Beason, OLB, Miami: The Bears add this Cover 2 prospect to their linebacking corps as insurance for Lance Briggs.

32 Indianapolis: DeMarcus Tyler, DT, N.C. State: Tyler improved his stock with a good performance at the Combine and should do relatively well with the Colts.

Last edited:
Whoa. Big move up. If we get Houstons #3 out of it too then I like the trade. There could a couple nice dark horses available in round 3. And Landry is simply the prize DB of the draft imo. Will make a bigger impact than Leon Hall.

I'm not looking at the trade chart right now, but aren't we sodomizing Houston on that trade? (edit - not really, but I have no idea why they'd throw in an extra first day pick). Not to mention they're in dire need of a quarterback?

If Brady Quinn makes it past Minnesota, Houston's not trading.

Otherwise, that's a pretty solid job.

Last edited:
I'm not looking at the trade chart right now, but aren't we sodomizing Houston on that trade?

Technically we are, as the two first-round picks are equal to Houston's 8th. However, any team that got two lower 1st-rounders for their #8 in real life would be getting a huge steal. I threw in the 3rd-rounder because it seemed the most likely add-on.

As for drafting Quinn, I say it's 50-50, as they could pick up Drew Stanton or someone else later and start with Carr or Rosenfels. I haven't heard anything about the Texans wanting Quinn anyway, whereas I have heard rumors about Carolina, Detroit, and Minnesota (I didn't stick him with the Vikes because I think they'll give Tarvaris Jackson at least one more year).

You can salvage that a bit with a second trade -- somebody trades up to get Quinn at #7, while the Vikes trade down and take Ginn in at least a somewhat more realistic range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes