PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Dungy thing is getting a little bit overblown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Not that losing your son, during what is suppose to b the most happiest time of the yr for some, and I think this is a very depressing situation. But the media including ESPN, just keep harping on it, like it was the second coming of 9/11 . I used to respect Chris Berman, but he is getting a little nausiating. I dont remember when Bill Belichick lost his father, or when Bill Parcells lost his brother, get this much attention. Im not knocking the loss of Dungy's son,which it is a tragedy. But dont make it like the loss of Walter Payton, John Lennon, or JFK. Mention it , offer your sorrows, and move on. The only person that should be grieving is the dungy family, not espn..........

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Not that losing your son, during what is suppose to b the most happiest time of the yr for some, and I think this is a very depressing situation. But the media including ESPN, just keep harping on it, like it was the second coming of 9/11 . I used to respect Chris Berman, but he is getting a little nausiating. I dont remember when Bill Belichick lost his father, or when Bill Parcells lost his brother, get this much attention. Im not knocking the loss of Dungy's son,which it is a tragedy. But dont make it like the loss of Walter Payton, John Lennon, or JFK. Mention it , offer your sorrows, and move on. The only person that should be grieving is the dungy family, not espn..........
I agree, but obviously you and I will get shot down by Democrat bleeding hearts.

I'm conservative, and I disagree. Nothing more tragic than outliving your child. While I'm not in favor of the tributes to the son, I completely understand and support the grieving.

There's a big difference between losing a father or brother who had lived a long life and died due to illness and having your 18-year-old son take his own life. Anyone who is a parent knows there is no greater loss than this.
And coming from a fan of the Patriots, who have had the king of all longwinded, drawn out, overblown, nauseating stories with Bruschi coming back is rich.

drew4008 said:
I agree, but obviously you and I will get shot down by Democrat bleeding hearts.

Not that this matters, but I am a bleeding heart liberal and I think the coverage is a bit excessive too.......

oldrover said:
I'm conservative, and I disagree. Nothing more tragic than outliving your child. While I'm not in favor of the tributes to the son, I completely understand and support the grieving.
I agree with that. Of course it's tragic, and the grieving was deserved and necessary. But it is getting overblown now.

This type of stuff really burns your biscuits,huh? Guess if he had won 3 super bowls , then you'd have a different take. Lay off the guy and stop making threads about how this bother you. Remember the world offered their condolences for BB's pappy, which was not as unfortunate or tragic as this. :nono:

Bill's Girl said:
Not that this matters, but I am a bleeding heart liberal and I think the coverage is a bit excessive too.......

Same here. But that being said, I agree with those who say you can't judge a kid by his or her's glorifyed personal website.

drew4008 said:
Why does the right wing always try to blame everything on the left? Just because someone has compassion, does not make him a bleeding heart liberal. Republicans always seem to take any chance to take a shot at the other side. And before you right wingers start the name-calling, I am an independent.

Bill B. said:
Why does the right wing always try to blame everything on the left? Just because someone has compassion, does not make him a bleeding heart liberal. Republicans always seem to take any chance to take a shot at the other side.
I think both sides are equally guilty here.

I'm left scratching my head, wondering how a 9-reply thread about James Dungy has suddenly turned into a political discussion.

BelichickFan said:
I think both sides are equally guilty here.
Agreed. I just pointed out against the right because they took the first shot. The left is just as bad.

I think its tragic on two levels: 1) A father outliving a son who takes his own life; nothing more tragic and sad and depressing than that; and 2) ESPN latching on to the story and riding it out for ratings. Plain & simple.

How much more can you report on it? His son tragically committed suicide. No more details forthcoming. Dungy will hold a press conference; ok, over that. But how long can you make this the leadoff story? Unless you start talking about how it impacts sports and the Colts, it should no longer be dominating national sports media.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I respectfully disagree. From someone who thinks that Rush Limbaugh is too moderate. This has nothing to do with politics despite the desire to bring it there. (Yes, I see the irony in bringing politics into my statement :) )

Its not a politcal point of view, its just getting a little too overblown coverage, and have Chirs Berman, and Tom Jackson talking like its thier son. You did not see any signs at Philly for Bill Parcells brother, nor at Kc for Bill Belichick father, Belichick coached after finding out his father died suddenly...

Espn did not have a 10 person crew discussing it, it's time to stop the nonsense to say we are all apart of the dungy family, and every sign that someone shows so they could get on tv... It's a terrible situation, but move on, nothing to do with politcs, just annoyed at ESPN, which is getting to be like mtv

SDP-you didn't bring politics into it, others did.

The only reason I disagree is that I think the unforseen death of a child is just at a different level. You don't expect your seemingly health child to suddenly no longer be there. There just isn't that subconcious "preparation" that would be there for an elderly parent or sibling with a health problem. I've had 1st or 2nd hand experience with both.

Admittedly, maybe if I had seen as much of the coverage I would have a different take on it. The past week or so has just been crazy and I haven't seen as much ESPN as I usually do.

any idea how we're going to reconcile this thread with the pages and pages of tearful "thoughts and prayers go out to the Dungy family" last week? Just wondering.

The Colts are just looking for an excuse to lose...as usual...front page news in Indy for the past six days....good God, 9/11 didn't even get that kind of run.

Indy fan is over the edge insane that the rest of the country could care less about their fraud squad and it drives these manure eaters beserk that anybody would question their maudlin outpouring of grief seemingly ad nauseum, over some privileged rich kid's suicide.

Joker said:
The Colts are just looking for an excuse to lose...as usual...front page news in Indy for the past six days....good God, 9/11 didn't even get that kind of run.

Indy fan is over the edge insane that the rest of the country could care less about their fraud squad and it drives these manure eaters beserk that anybody would question their maudlin outpouring of grief seemingly ad nauseum, over some privileged rich kid's suicide.
What's that I smell? Filthy troll

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye