Welcome to PatsFans.com

The dumbest nation on Earth: The United States of America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The circle is almost complete on how frickin DUMB we have become....

This is from a FOX news (opinion piece) on Huntsman vs Perry and the global warming 'debate'

Fox News: 'It Doesn't Matter' That Climate Change Is A Fact - YouTube

If you dive into the weeds a little bit on this global warming thing, you see that it seems that facts are certainly on Huntsman’s side on all of this and fact checkers have come out, we’re actually having our own brain room look look at this right now that any of Perry’s comments don’t seem to hold a lot of water. It doesn’t matter. What’s resonating right now in South Carolina is helping Governor Perry tremendously and he fired back at Huntsman on global warming and gaining traction, facts or not.

and there you have it....

Facts are leaning towards a factual stance, but nobody seems to care. Its who can scream the loudest.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2513/3714896326_510ff40e22.jpg

Juuuuuuusssst about sums up where we are as a society, and its not to long before we are swearing in President Camacho

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +721 / 2 / -9

They're losing me, I don't think I'll ever vote again, good luck to you all.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

I remember when Clinton was president, some Chinese official said that if they had democracy, the people of China would probably vote for war with the United States. I'll once again give Churchill's classic quote: "Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Well more data indicating that Huntsman Gore er al are indeed alarmist, and pols like Perry are correct.

CERN has published the results of the CLOUD experiment, the data confirms Sversmark's hypothesis that Cosmic Rays have a large influence on Cloud formation. More work on Cloud Chenistry needs to be done (ie the current Climate Modelers alarmist have no idea about louds and their effect on climate).

I will do a post on this in detail when I have time, this is a very significant result and possible the end of the notion that human activity has a major impact on climate.

When further research is done the results will probably point to CO2 and human activity being very minor on the order of .1C .

[​IMG]

5. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Awesome graph :rolleyes:

6. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

yeah, how bout including an actual link for frame of reference?

why is that concept so antithetical for some people?

Either way, the average American has become pretty dumb the past 20-30 years. Gluttonous consumerism tends to do that to a people.

In the biting words of Eddie Vedder: "Am I smart enough? Am I tough enough? I don't give a f***. I just wanna live life and be dumb and happy like an American!"

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  7. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

This happens in a lot of Western countries, and other countries too for that matter.

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Being old enough I see that every day even on this BOARD.... :p

I would suggest googling Nigel Calder, or going to A Watts site, the boys at real climate are spinning like tops currently.

You know how long they tried to block Svensmark's papers from being publishe and tried to cut the funding to delay the CLOUD experiment?

9. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

so in other words, you're still unable to link your graph... ok, cool.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

Just another rule violation by the right wing thought police.. quick to remove others from threads, but then comes back with a violation of his own, not that rules are important.

11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +245 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

Now that's funny given your own failure to post a link in the "libertarian" thread yesterday.

To quote wistah: "Google is your friend". Isn't that how it's supposed to work now?

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

Realclimate.org, which seems to speak for the majority of serious scientists who believe in global warming responds to the corporate pro-pollution talking points like this:

RealClimate: The CERN/CLOUD results are surprisingly interesting…

It is eminently predictable that the published results will be wildly misconstrued by the contrarian blogosphere as actually proving this link. However, that would be quite wrong.

We were clear in the 2006 post that establishing a significant GCR/cloud/climate link would require the following steps (given that we have known that ionisation plays a role in nucleation for decades). One would need to demonstrate:

… that increased nucleation gives rise to increased numbers of (much larger) cloud condensation nuclei (CCN)
    … and that even in the presence of other CCN, ionisation changes can make a noticeable difference to total CCN
    … and even if there were more CCN, you would need to show that this actually changed cloud properties significantly,
    … and that given that change in cloud properties, you would need to show that it had a significant effect on radiative forcing.

Of course, to show that cosmic rays were actually responsible for some part of the recent warming, you would need to show that there was actually a decreasing trend in cosmic rays over recent decades – which is tricky, because there hasn’t been (see the figure).

[​IMG]

And, to he who complained that pf13 failed to post a link, may I suggest you simply right click on the image and do copy link to work your way back to the source, since the absence of a link was probably just an oversight. The link that pf13 apparently used was

Calder's Updates

though it's worth noting that source appears to be nothing but a popular science writer, not a scientist.

13. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +245 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

Are people of the opinion that scientists have such a complex system as global climate all figured out? It is not possible. All we can do is create models and then test those models against observation. If the model fails when doing so then the model needs to be refined or replaced.

http://www.ted.com/talks/tim_harford.html

What is really dumb is the idea that any scientist thinks they "know" how the climate works.

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

Typical, anti-science, anti-intellectual fervor from the right. Science is all theory, which is a fundamental point that you are apparently unaware of. Scientists never claim to know how something works. They merely offer theories. Generally, when there's a preponderance of critical scientific support for one theory, that theory has a high likelihood of surviving.

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

You are correct, did not cite the source.. my bad. I did in subsequent posts..

The reality is that in the past there have been concerns voiced by Ian about posting information that is not cited, due to liability issues about copyright infringement.

Don't you believe that a moderator should follow rules??? Or do you think, because I did not on that occasion that he should be exempt??

16. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +245 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

Yes, we all should.

17. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did anyone predict the earthquakes earlier this week? How can we possibly know what's going on above us when we cannot figure out what is below?

18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Predicting earthquakes is more difficult than predicting weather. Observations are more difficult to come by in the mantle. We can't be there.

...Duh!;)

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

As to Real Climate they have spent years dismissing (mocking & dismissing) Svensmark and his theory because it provides a mechanism where the Sun & Cosmic rays explain variations in cloud cover which totally swamps any contributions from CO2 and also removes the 'need' for a feedback mechanism associated with CO2.

It also fits with observation of the Solar Activity affecting Climate Globally without any input from Human activity ie the Mauder Minimum and the Little Ice Age, then the Dalton Minimum and the Little Ice Age. The subsequent rise in Solar Activity and rising temps since the 1850's.

Like I said Gavin S and the boys at RC will be spinning like Crazy Patters.

:D:singing:

BTW I didn't post links because I would like to do a post with a lot of information since this is the most significant climate experimental result in the past 20 years. I am waiting to see what Pelke, Curry and others have to say.

As to Calder he is one of the leading Science Writers and doesn't ourport to be a scientist, however he Co wrote a book with Svensmark on his theory and has documented the problems caused by the crew at Real Climate in hindering papers being written by Svensmark from being published and delaying the funding of the CLOUD experiments.
    I didn't post likes

20. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

Are you "singing" because of your prediction?

You realize that their response would be the same regardless of whether your characterization is accurate, right?