PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The dual problem with letting Welker go

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For those saying that the Patriots should let Welker walk, there's two things that need to be kept in mind:

(1) The Patriots would have to replace his production—and, given his affinity with Brady, that's not an easy thing. As we've seen, a lot of receivers flame out in this offense.

I'm not arguing that it can't be done, but it's certainly not a given.

(2) Welker will almost certainly end up with a contending team. As a case in point, the Colts have over $40M in cap room. Even Denver has almost $20M. I don't want to see Welker become the anti-Woodhead.

He's 32, can't make the plays in critical situations, and he would cost alot of money.

See ya welker, good reciever, but Brady and the system made you "GREAT".

I think I've finally "seen the light" on why the Patriots are hesitant to re-sign Welker. For the record, I think Wes is an amazing player and one of my favorite Patriots of all-time. And it has nothing to do with his "drops", which frankly, are overstated. He catches a lot of very difficult passes and has lots of targets, so I don't really think he's prone to a lot of drops overall, and I think that his "anti-clutch" stuff is bs. He's made a ton of huge plays in big games; everyone just focuses on a couple of key drops.

But the reason why maybe it's time for Welker to go is because he overlaps so much with Hernandez' strengths that I wonder if he's worth a big contract. I often see both Hernandez and Welker open on the same play, but in games like tonight, neither one of them really broke the Ravens defense with their short route running. If the Pats could go out and get a proven player like Greg Jennings for, say, $8-9M per year, then that would make the offense better. You'd have a true number one receiver on the outside, a guy who can run all the routes, has decent size, and can go deep.

I think a receiving corps of Jennings (or someone like Wallace), Hernandez, Gronkowski, and Lloyd is much more effective than the current one. You have the field covered at all levels, which makes it so much more difficult to stop.

For those saying that the Patriots should let Welker walk, there's two things that need to be kept in mind:

(1) The Patriots would have to replace his production—and, given his affinity with Brady, that's not an easy thing. As we've seen, a lot of receivers flame out in this offense.

(2) Welker will almost certainly end up with a contending team. As a case in point, the Colts have over $40M in cap room. Even Denver has almost $20M. I don't want to see Welker become the anti-Woodhead.

I don't know........after the 2006 season (in which the pats were a bit close in getting to the SB), the pats had no problem flipping their WR roster......maybe its time to do it again......

Welker isn't a loss that the Patriots can't overcome. I love Wes and what he has done for us these past 6 years but if he wants big money then I say no, as we can use for stuff that we need help on and with Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd, possibly another WR via draft or FA and McDaniels we will be fine without him.

1. That's my main worry. If he's healthy, then I know Hernandez can take an increased role. Big if, though. Edelman is another guy that could definitely pick up some snaps in Welker's role, but he also lacks Welker's durability. Ideally they'll re-sign Edelman, but they definitely need to do more than that, whether it's a trade for Harvin, signing Hartline, a draft pick (my top three options), or something else.

2. The Colts would actually scare me less with Welker. It'd mean that they're taking one of their ridiculously explosive options off the field. And Peyton would get Welker killed so fast. Welker's good at avoiding hits, but Brady is also fantastic at not getting his WRs killed. Peyton, not so much. There can't be too many other good teams that can afford him.

I don't know........after the 2006 season (in which the pats were a bit close in getting to the SB), the pats had no problem flipping their WR roster......maybe its time to do it again......

How'd that work out in the end...

they don't need to flip their WR roster. lloyd, edelman and welker are great for this roster. Get a burner now. A greg jennings or harvin type player now

No Jennings. No more retreads.

Get a Wallace to blow the top off or draft someone.

I don't think 2006 is the best comparison here.

Drafting a WR is like going out fishing..you have no idea what you will catch and how they will respond to your system..look at chad jackson..we all thought he would be the next moss and a burner..

I'd let Welker go if we could instead clone another Rob Gronkowski, freeze him in a cryogenic chamber, and keep him on reserve for when the initial Gronkowski gets injured.

Jennings is actually a formidable deep threat. He might not be a burner but he is talented. He is also an exceptional route runner with good size and extension.

I would love to see Lloyd and Jennings on the outside with Gronk and Nandez to work in middle with Ridley or Vroom Vereen out of the backfield.

That's the problem. They don't need different or less talent, they just need more. We couldn't go 5 wide tonight if our lives depended on it. Branch was our 3rd WR and Hooman was our second TE. And while Lloyd might be a great 3rd WR he's still just meh as a #2. He sulks a bit when he's not targeted but his targeting yields inconsistent results. He had a big drive killing drop tonight too although he actually managed some rare YAC on one catch. And Ahern isn't nearly the weapon he's being paid to be when his partner in crime is sitting in the owners box. And he still struggles maintaining focus and to me still seems to be running almost flatfooted.

I think they still need to hope they can come up with 4 healthy and functional TE's for 2013 as well as 4-5 [/b]legit WR's. And they have to figure out a way to incorporate the RB's into these game plans more consistently including as potential receivers. And it would be nice if they could acquire a couple of developmental players who are serious return threats. I think it's a sin Welker is still handling punts, and he did so well tonight. McCourty is way to valuable to be out there on kickoffs and even if he returns Edelman just has too many durability concerns to be relied upon.

PS Welker would be insane to give them any kind of discount. They've ground him up like some RB on a bad rookie deal. That he keeps on grinding amazes me.

Not sure if any FA WR is the answer. Jennings is out in GB for a reason, as is Wallace in Pittsburgh. I doubt either would be a fit here for many of the same reasons. Both want to be targeted and paid in a range their recent performances don't warrant.

Jennings is actually a formidable deep threat. He might not be a burner but he is talented. He is also an exceptional route runner with good size and extension.

I would love to see Lloyd and Jennings on the outside with Gronk and Nandez to work in middle with Ridley or Vroom Vereen out of the backfield.
And from all reports, he'd rather get paid than end up on a winning team. He's probably going to go rot in Miami for the next 5 years.

guys if we let Welker go Payton Manning will be happier than a witch in a broom factory....thats just great replacement for Brandon Stockley which is going to retire most likely.....

lol

You must be a new Pats fan

We brought back Brian Daboll, a former WR coach. It's not impossible.

And what Jennings brings to the table is basically what Lloyd has, just better. You need deep, deep burning speed that does what the Ravens to our defense to other teams.

We brought back Brian Daboll, a former WR coach. It's not impossible.

And what Jennings brings to the table is basically what Lloyd has, just better. You need deep, deep burning speed that does what the Ravens to our defense to other teams.

that sounds like mike wallace to me

No Jennings. No Wallace. No Bowe.

Draft a guy. And if that's not a reliable chance, draft two guys.

The Steelers got Wallace in the 3rd round and Brown in the 6th. Maybe Daboll helps. (Although whatever job he did this week is not exactly a good start)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back