Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Dreadful Danger of Cruising Quotation Sites

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +345 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Chapter 3 of Sarah Palin's memoir, "Going Rogue: An American Life," begins with a quote that the book attributes to legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden:

"Our land is everything to us. . . . I will tell you one of the things we remember on our land. We remember our grandfathers paid for it -- with their lives."

But as The Huffington Post's Geoffrey Dunn reports, the quote is actually from John Wooden Legs, a Native American activist. The words come from the book "We Are the People: Voices From the Other Side of American History," an anthology of left-wing essays. The full quote reveals that the Cheyenne chief was referring to his tribe's defeat of Gen. George Custer at the Battle of the Little Bighorn:

"Our land is everything to us. It is the only place in the world where Cheyennes talk the Cheyenne language to each other. It is the only place where Cheyennes remember the same things together. I will tell you one of the things we remember on our land. We remember our grandfathers paid for it -- with their life. My people and the Sioux defeated General Custer at the Little Bighorn."

Gawker reports that the quote is misattributed to John Wooden on a popular quotations site, where Palin or her ghost writer might have found it.

Palin Book Attributes Leftist Native-American's Quote to UCLA's John Wooden -- Politics Daily
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Hilarious. I wouldn't expect anything less from a Palin book. I'm surprised they didn't find any spelling or grammatical errors.
  3. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That's all they have on her is a little mis-attributing. You got to admit that's not bad considering the day night scrutinizing and fine tooth combery that book is getting from the loons.....
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It's also amusingly ironic that she tried to use a quote to echo some more Pat Buchanan-type sentiment about Americans, when it was actually said by a Native American.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -22

Her author has been linked to racists....

Actually it sounds a little like Chief Seattle...
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

Racism is a handy smear for everything I guess.

I would imaging Palin's ghost writer isn't as accomplished as BO's ghost writer Bill Ayers. Either as a writer or as a bomb maker.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +345 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

What's funny is that for all her talk about "Real Americans" she inadvertantly quoted one of the only "real Americans" around - and attributed it to someone else.
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chief Seattle never said all those things that are attributed to him. It's just an urban legend.
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If you've ever wondered why people call you a liar agent 13 look no further than what I bolded.
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

How do you know this is a lie?
  12. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

War Room - Salon.com

You can't call him a liar if the guy has himself said yes he wrote it to different people...the guy can't keep his story straight, and if he didn't write it why is he saying he did when it would be unethical and immoral for someone in his field of work to make any claim that the work of someone else as his own- in jest or not.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Classic. ... A fallback position your camp has been attributing to nearly everything the past 9 years.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

I would recommend this interesting article by Cahill about the possibility of Ayers being bammies gw. Not a proof but food for thought since bammy had shown no talent as a writer.

American Thinker: Who Wrote Dreams From My Father?

This compliments Ayers claim quite nicely. Good catch efin!
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Are you gonna give sdaniels an infraction point now that you have planted "food for thought?"
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

Why do you feel that was a personal attack or is he angling with his buddies to get people excluded from the board? ;)
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I addressed your smarmy premise above in a response to your equally smarmy and unsolicited private message. Keep it there, and show some integrity, "moderator."

Way to add another notch to your array of instigations that prove you're utterly unfit to moderate.
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No kidding, not a whit from Agent 13 along the lines of 'here's some actual proof supporting my claim' just flipping it around so others must disprove his garbage, again.

Whats particularly cute is this line straight from Agent 13's 'proof' that Obama didn't write his own book:

That unqualified statement is made right at the top of a paragraph in Agent 13's 'proof' that Obama didn't write the book.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -22

Once again you have to make you look stupid, but here is some background.. interesting all the while you continue to spread your idiotic lies about Ayers... do some homework for a change, before you just open your mouth..

There is no indication or any proof the BO's book was ghostwritten..

Little Green Footballs - Sarah Palin's Book Ghostwritten by Associate of White Supremacist McCain

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -22

The right makes a living off of conjecture and half truths.. someone needs to take some logic courses.. this is not about his books, it is about wanting to see the transcripts...