The Draft - Colvin - and Chris Gocong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Sunday night watching the game I intently watched Gocong play. To be honest I never heard of the guy except for the members here who were wishfull :rolleyes: that Belichick would grab him :mad: several drafts ago. He did seem to be a Bill kind of player ... athletic and moldable.

So today Colvin goes on IR and is replaced by Chad Brown ... I again think of all the members here who wanted Gocong ... hindsight is 20/20 but it sure would have been nice to plug him in for Colvin rather than Chad Brown. :mad:

Last edited:
What round was he taken in??? I remember he was one I liked...not sure what round and who the Pats took instead..

I feel your frustration brotha. I don't know what BB has against drafting young linebackers. Some youth and speed at linebacker would be soooo helpful. It's not like we didn't have our chances to draft one. That Beason kid would look real good in a Patriot Uni.

What round was he taken in??? I remember he was one I liked...not sure what round and who the Pats took instead..

Early 3rd in 2006, about 15 picks before David Thomas. 5 picks ahead of the Green Bay pick the Pats traded for the early 2nd for Chad Jackson.

Gocong has made one play in 2 years. If we're going there, why didn't we take Shaun Philips, Jared Allen, James Harrison, Trent Cole, Kiwanuka, etc? Maybe Pierre Woods will step in and surprise. It's not like Colvin has lit the world on fire this season. He had a couple big games, but otherwise was quiet.

Colvin is an excellent LB. He's made plays and maybe more importantly, hasn't looked like a ****up out there.

This sucks.

Gocong has made one play in 2 years. If we're going there, why didn't we take Shaun Philips, Jared Allen, James Harrison, Trent Cole, Kiwanuka, etc? Maybe Pierre Woods will step in and surprise. It's not like Colvin has lit the world on fire this season. He had a couple big games, but otherwise was quiet.

The voice of reason.

Sunday night watching the game I intently watched Gocong play. To be honest I never heard of the guy except for the members here who were wishfull :rolleyes: that Belichick would grab him :mad: several drafts ago. He did seem to be a Bill kind of player ... athletic and moldable.

So today Colvin goes on IR and is replaced by Chad Brown ... I again think of all the members here who wanted Gocong ... hindsight is 20/20 but it sure would have been nice to plug him in for Colvin rather than Chad Brown. :mad:

Sorry to ruin this pity fest, but AD is being plugged in for Colvin, not Chad Brown.

Sorry to ruin this pity fest, but AD is being plugged in for Colvin, not Chad Brown.

Yeah and who is plugging for AD or are we going to alot of 4-3 with Jarvis.

Either way ... we need some LB's for our geriatric LB's next year.

I feel your frustration brotha. I don't know what BB has against drafting young linebackers. Some youth and speed at linebacker would be soooo helpful. It's not like we didn't have our chances to draft one. That Beason kid would look real good in a Patriot Uni.

FYI-Gocong was a DE in college (some Div I-AA school) in California. He WAS NEVER a LB.

Philly just merely converted him to LB, which really isn't hard to do in Jim Johnson's system b/c JJ's scheme is 99% going after the passer, and that's it.

Yeah and who is plugging for AD or are we going to alot of 4-3 with Jarvis.

Either way ... we need some LB's for our geriatric LB's next year.

AD-Seau-Bruschi-Vrabel

This is our probably our best lineup against the run, and you have two pretty good pass rushers on the edge. If another guy drops, then we'll have to go 4-3.

FYI-Gocong was a DE in college(some Div I-AA school) in California. He WAS NEVER a LB.

Philly just merely converted him to LB, which really isn't hard to do in Jim Johnson's system b/c JJ's scheme is 99% going after the passer, and that's it.

I don't think they even converted him to LB. Madden kept noting how odd it was that a Jim Johnson coached team was playing with 3 down linemen, and Gocong didn't have his hand on the ground.

In other words, he's a guy who did nothing throughout his career and DOESN'T EVEN PLAY LINEBACKER. He has one sack against the Patriots, and this board's in hysterics that we didn't pick him. Unreal.

I don't think they even converted him to LB. Madden kept noting how odd it was that a Jim Johnson coached team was playing with 3 down linemen, and Gocong didn't have his hand on the ground.

In other words, he's a guy who did nothing throughout his career and DOESN'T EVEN PLAY LINEBACKER. He has one sack against the Patriots, and this board's in hysterics that we didn't pick him. Unreal.

This Chris Gocong hysteria is one of the oddest developments in the history of this board. I blame the parents.

I was, back then. But he hasn't done anything his whole career, and he plays DE for the Eagles, not LB. They used him as a LB the other night, but he didn't have the responsibilities a 3-4 LB in BB's system would; rather, he was just a pass-rushing DE with his hand off the ground. I hadn't heard anything about him until last night, mainly because he's a backup to Kearse and Trent Cole.

This is kind of one of those "We should trade Brady for Feeley threads," (as in, the only games where he's ever done anything have been against us) except it's not a joke.

Last edited:

its all about doing a solid job on defense, and thats why colvin is important... the NE defense plays as a team, its not a one-man show... i hope somebody would really step up to play on his spot... pierre woods, im talking to you...

AD-Seau-Bruschi-Vrabel

This is our probably our best lineup against the run, and you have two pretty good pass rushers on the edge. If another guy drops, then we'll have to go 4-3.

Yup. It's a solid 4. The only concern is depth and rotating guys to keep em fresh. Pierre Woods and Lua have been kept around for a reason.

How about a little bit of that 4-3 defense:

RE: Jarvis Green
RDT: Richard Seymour
LDT: Vince Wilfork
LE: Ty Warren
LOLB: Mike Vrabel
MLB: Tedy Bruschi
ROLB: Adalius Thomas

So this one kid makes a couple of plays as an unheard of LB,and suddenly SP/BB screwed up? You don't draft for the now, you draft for the tomorrow. Just because Merriweather etc.. aren't seeing the field, means nothing. Stop looking at these draft picks as a means to a question you aren't even sure of the answer yourselves. They can't all be Tom Bradys. Although, I bet you poo-pooe'd on that one too, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes