PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Domino Effect of having this settled...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Once the Branch thing gets resolved, I'm hoping that the excess cap-space we're currently carrying will start to fall into place:

Convert a good chunk of Seymour's future bonuses into 2006 so we can avoid bigger hits in later years.

Extend Samuel, Koppen and Graham (if amenable, which rumor has it, he may not be) and Wilson or Warren (a year early).

I think part of why none of this has happened yet is that the Pats brass wanted to get Deion's contract out of the way. The closer it gets to being resolved - whether he's here or not - the closer we are to making good use of the cap space they have so smartly created.

Last edited:
However they choose to spend it, the bottom line is that Gabriel costs $600K next year whereas you know who was going to cost $6M or so. Even more if Franchised. That's a lot of spending that can be done elsewhere.

BelichickFan said:
However they choose to spend it, the bottom line is that Gabriel costs $600K next year whereas you know who was going to cost $6M or so. Even more if Franchised. That's a lot of spending that can be done elsewhere.

Excellent point. Boy, if this kid can give us even half of Deion's production, it's a great deal. We'll need to give him some time - coming in and learning the system on the fly - but still, week 5 or so, we'll know if we have a decent player or not.

patsox23 said:
Excellent point. Boy, if this kid can give us even half of Deion's production, it's a great deal. We'll need to give him some time - coming in and learning the system on the fly - but still, week 5 or so, we'll know if we have a decent player or not.

Feel good. In just his 3rd season, last year, he DID produce half of Branch's production.......in a Kerry Collins Offense......with a crappy running game.........facing nickel D's 80% of the time.

- - whatcha think that could translate to here......in a Tom Brady led offense......with a great running game.........where opposing D's will be very keyed to having to pay attention to the run?

BelichickFan said:

I agree this is part of a bigger plan the Pats are implementing, Branch will never see Gillette as a Pat again, there is a lot of money available and extensions are in order for Koppen, Graham. Samuel, Wilson and Warren. I can see BB and SP not letting this happen again, and not letting this type of distraction coming to another September.

patsox23 said:
Extend Samuel, Koppen and Graham (if amenable, which rumor has it, he may not be) and Wilson or Warren (a year early).

I see Samuel as a priority, not because he is the greatest CB in the world but after this season he will be a 2 year starter and I think a deal can get done pretty cheap. He and Hobbs would form a solid base to build one.

Koppen would be great, if healthy would provide a familiar fat butt for Brady to take snaps from. Again I don't think his contract will be crazy.

Graham has proved his value with the blocking he demonstrated on some of the short yardage touchdowns this preseason. The guy is a beast and can go man on man versus a DE. I don't know how this translates to dollars but if we could sign all three for Branch's money and get a first round pick or a potential starter then I would say the Pats made out very well.

That being said with Branch in the fold, our chances of reaching the Superbowl improve.

thank you, thank you, thank you to all posters who remind us of the benefits of NOT spending $6m on Deion. In frustration, I just replied to the "I agree with Borges" thread on other grounds. I'm going to go back and add a link to this excellent thread!!

patsox23 said:

Are you talking about Graham in reference to what I have bolded? And could you elaborate?

sarge said:
Are you talking about Graham in reference to what I have bolded? And could you elaborate?
I've NEVER seen this. I saw fan speculation that he'd like to go to the Broncos as he's from Colorado - although Shanahan just drafted Shefler. I've heard reporters say the Patriots haven't made an offer yet - but this is the Patriots. I've heard people say Graham seems resigned to leaving - but that's just silly attempted mind reading.

BelichickFan said:
I've NEVER seen this. I saw fan speculation that he'd like to go to the Broncos as he's from Colorado - although Shanahan just drafted Shefler. I've heard reporters say the Patriots haven't made an offer yet - but this is the Patriots. I've heard people say Graham seems resigned to leaving - but that's just silly attempted mind reading.
The only comment I've seen with any provenance was in a recent article where Graham reacted to BB's firm denial of any trade with Denver by noting that it 'felt good to be wanted.' Rumors in the forum and with gossipy reporters seems to have fueled this crap about Grahambo wanting a new home back in Colorado, but I've never seen it mentioned from a credible report with named sources or quotes from Graham himself - he is my number one re-signing prospect, ahead of the shameless one, for the past several months.

As Mike-the-Brit might say, re-sign Graham, now! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes