PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Dolphins have decided to release strong safety Yeremiah Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this in another post, but I have a better idea for a Safety that BB has been wanting to try for years. The Hybrid S/LB. The best cover guy for a LB in the Draft is Zack Brown. He is now your starting Safety. He is 6'1" and 232lbs. He is on the UNC 60 meter track team and broke the school record.He was hand timed at 4.29 in the 40 which makes him the fastest dude on our roster. His best attribute in this Draft is said to be his coverage. He can rush and plays sideline to sideline.
This is the kind of mad scientist, Houdini now ya see um, now ya don't type of BB experiment that changes the game a bit like the double TE play. It could change the game. He will not be undersized to cover bigger TE and he plays the ball well. Ball skills, flips his hips, pursuit skills and elite speed. I am guessing trow in he has outstanding pass rush ability and although he ain't Ed Reed Cousins, he would be fun to watch.
Multidimensional. The BB buzz word.
DW Toys

Ask Belichick the first thing he looks for in a safety (after basic required athleticism), and he'll say instincts. Brown doesn't have them.

Ask Belichick the first thing he looks for in a safety (after basic required athleticism), and he'll say instincts. Brown doesn't have them.

There's gotta be more to it than that. My cat has great athleticism and instincts and no one's signed him yet!

..although Rex called to have him in for a visit.

i see in this thread we speak in general of safety...
but Atogwe?he is a natural FS...is he broken?

To answer your questions: Yes & Yes, but he is def. worth bring to HQ for a physical.

Maybe I'm wrong but with Allen signing I think we definitely bring Bell in in the next few days for a visit

Maybe I'm wrong but with Allen signing I think we definitely bring Bell in in the next few days for a visit

How much cap room do we have to spare taking into account all our free agent pickups?

-Jamman

Last edited:

Sciz, Instinct in the pass game is his biggest asset besides speed.
DW Toys

Interesting analysis, DW.

Anything's possible, so it's hard to guess. I would be all for it if Belichick saw fit to take him.

I had no idea that he was quite that fast though, that's pretty impressive.

Ran a slow 4.6 at the Combine. Hand held at UNC under 4.3...speed in abundance!Faster than any Pat DB on the roster.
Ironically he is rated as a not an upper tier LB.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Can he cover?

Safeties, IMO, really do not have to have as much cover skills as corners do. Safeties need to have the ability to recognize what is happening and react to it to make a hit, break up a play, etc. Corners need to have greater one on one cover skills and the speed and size to stay with the wide receivers they are covering.

On many occasions, safeties will provide additional coverage to help a corner or backup coverage on a particular receiver.

Safeties, IMO, really do not have to have as much cover skills as corners do. Safeties need to have the ability to recognize what is happening and react to it to make a hit, break up a play, etc. Corners need to have greater one on one cover skills and the speed and size to stay with the wide receivers they are covering.

On many occasions, safeties will provide additional coverage to help a corner or backup coverage on a particular receiver.

His question wasn't "What do safeties do?". And safeties do have to cover, and often, it is not uncommon for safeties to be matched up 1on1 against a RB or TE.

His question wasn't "What do safeties do?". And safeties do have to cover, and often, it is not uncommon for safeties to be matched up 1on1 against a RB or TE.

You are correct, but I said they do not have to have as much cover skills as corners who have to go one on one many times with speedy wide receivers. Safeties are much more reactionary to each play at a different level based on what they see happening in front of them.

And meanwhile, having made no significant upgrades with personnel this offseason, the team looks to compensate:

Dolphins consider logo change | National Football Post

dolphins.gif

anyways to the topic at hand ... we could still use some improvement in tackling in the 5-10 yard area. We got better this year with Spikes back but a bit better would be sweet.

Last edited:
Bell would be a great addition and huge help to the safety position. If we sign him and continue to add with the draft, we will be a very much improved team IMO.

His question wasn't "What do safeties do?" And safeties do have to cover, and often; it is not uncommon for safeties to be matched up 1on1 against a RB or TE...

...or another WR, too.

As for the possibility of signing Bell:
Why in the world would we want another Safety who can't cover worth a damn?
We still have Chung here, don't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye