Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Democrats' Worst Nightmare

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Jul 17, 2006.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That Mitt Romney is one smart dude. I just watched about an hour long press conference where he was talking about the Big Dig and there was no stuttering, mumbling Bushisms. And there were no wiseass remarks. Just a forthcoming appraisal of the situation where he intelligently explained (and drew) the problems we are having and the solutions he is implementing.

Gotta say I'm leaning towards voting for him in the '08 primaries... I look forward to the campaigning season to hear him propse some solutions to the problems we have on a national level.

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

By my best guess, 20-40% of the conservative base in this country would not vote for Romney because he is Mormon.

3. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

By my best guess, 20-40% of the conservative base in this country would not vote for Romney because he is a Mormon.

4. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And I would add, to the conservative base, romney is a northeast RINO,just like guliani.

5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He's way too liberal (read: centrist) for the religious nutcases of the Republican party, which today happens to be the majority of their party.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And whom will they go voting for..? McCain or Guiliani...?

7. Blue Collar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gingrich/McCain

8. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know if the GOP has tipped its hand to who the next candidate will be. My guess is the nominee will not be Romney, McCain, or Guiliani, as all three of those would be a significant shift to the center for party with a heavy religious conservative base.

9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Since when would Romney be a "significant shift to the center"...? He may hail from a liberal state (I mean MA, not UT) but he has been trying to be rather conservative. Heck, you can chart his movement rightward on the abortion issue.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 18 / -17

Are you living in Massachusetts? I think most people here would agree that Romney is ineffective and rather useless. Plus, he's effete, a label that the Republicans have tried to pin on Democrats like Kerry.

11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,759 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

All the more reason that if any republican is destined to win...hopefully it's him. But I have my eye on a few democrats...nothing against Romney. I think he'd make a good President. But change in D.C. is needed to clear out the G.O.P. leeches that lurk in all the crevices of the Capitol.

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ha, ha, ha :rofl:
    You think Romney, conservative because he's acting like that now!
    LMFAO!
    Are republicans really going to fall for that one again? Unbelievable!
    Gingrich is already running and will win the party nomination easily.

13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, the liberal democrats here in Massachusetts feel he is ineffective and rather useless. But the Conservatives here really like him. I should know, all 6 of us meet in my basement every other Tuesday to shoot some pool.
    1) I never heard a single Republican call Kerry effete. Unless you equate "French loving" with "effete" (which would be a perfectly reasonable statement).
    2) There's absolutely nothing "effete" about the guy. He's charasmatic, intelligent and very well spoken. He was a tremendously successful leader in business and turned the SLC Games around from absolute corruption to a properly run venture.

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,759 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

I agree..in the post above this one. If destiny says the G.O.P. will win...let's hope it's Romney....that being said, I think his best shot will be in 2012.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, then please tell me what parts about Romney are not conservative. I openly admit he was moderate on abortion when he ran for governor and he's been slowly shifting his position since then in a clear attempt to gain favor among the right.

But please by all means... Besides the abortion issue, tell me how the Mormon businessman from Utah does not fit your definition of "conservative". I will grant you one issue which might get him in trouble with the right... His problem won't be the conservative Christians, it will be the gun rights lobby.

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It would be a misnomer to say "movement" rightward, it's actually "pandering" rightword (just like he pandered to the left when her ran in MA). His recent political shift to the right will leave him with little credibility among the right-wing voters once the negative acts start flying and reminding us what kind of flip-flopper the governor is.

17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You show me a politician and I'll show you someone who has, to use your vernacular, "pandered" at one point or another in his career.
    Wow. That's amazing how you know more about how Conservatives think and feel about the guy then I do. I didn't realize you were so active in Conservative politics. :rolleyes:

18. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I like Romney, but it got a bit annoying with him trying to show off his newfound expertise on tunnel engineering this afternoon:

[​IMG]

19. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A certain percentage of voters (enough to influence the election?) is very predictable... I don't claim any insight, it's plainly obvious I'm right. The question is how many voters am I right about? I believe it's a significant enough amount to keep Romney out of the White House.

20. Blue Collar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here is romney's conservative view on issues.
    (Small Gov't)-(death penalty)-(same-sex-marriage)-(drug enforcement policies)-(school vouchers)-(faith based initiatives).....................

Here is romney's liberal view on issues.
    (healthcare)-(enviroment)-(gun control)-(min/wage)-(pro choice)-(pro affirmative action).... He will be labeled a northeast RINO.