Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Definition of Unsustainable....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jul 4, 2011.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

Personal Government Transfer Receipts are gov't benefit payments to individuals & non-profit organizations for which no service are performed or required.

Examples of Personal Government Transfer Receipts are:

Medicare
    Medicare
    Food Stamps
    Social Security
    Unemployment insurance

http://www.bea.gov/regional/pdf/spi2005/06 Personal Current Transfer Receipts.pdf

Since 1990, the amount our federal gov't has spent on PGTR's has more than tripled. Since 2000, these expenditures have doubled. I can almost understand why these costs have doubled during the current recession, but the 90's were mostly boom years, so why did they double during that period?

From 1960-1970, gov't transfer receipts represented 30-35% of gov't tax receipts. From 1980-2000, they represented any where between 50-65% of total gov't tax revenues. Today, they represent nearly 100% of tax receipts....and that scares the crap out of me.

I understand that baby-boomers are driving up much of these costs as they retire and this will continue over the next 20-30 years. I do not favor cutting support to them, I only ask that our gov't cut other spending in other areas (like military) so that overall gov't spending doesn't continue to increase and add to our deficit.

I think the follow chart clearly illustrates what unsustainable means;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Just raise taxes. Problem solved.

Happy 4th of July! :D
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

Just like the LIBRUL you are RW!!!

Happy July 4th to you as well.
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

Got one with inflation-adjusted dollars?

Never mind. It'll still be a curve. Compress horizontally, and voila, it's UNSUSTAINABLEEEEEEEEE. And lest we forget, your chart claims nobody got a benefit check of any kind prior to the late 50s.

PFnV

PS, will check out the PDF you linked to - do you have a source page for this chart or is it in the PDF?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011