PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Deferral Question and How the Pats Will Come Out on O

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If the Ravens win the toss, do they take the ball or defer?

I admit to somewhat of an obsession with this topic as I started a thread on it before the Broncos game before several people pointed out that John Fox is like BB and always defers when the Broncos win the toss. Sure enough, the Broncos won the toss, they deferred, and it took Brady less than 2 minutes to march down the field in the hurry up and score a touchdown. Although we didn't know it at the time, that was pretty much the ballgame right there for the Broncos (or I guess, it was ballgame on the Broncos first drive when Tebow fumbled and Brady came out again and quickly scored another TD).

So, what do the Ravens do? Do they always defer like BB? Do they always take the ball first? Curious if any Ravens fans out there know what their strategy will be or is likely to be.

For the Pats, we know they will defer if they win the toss. The first time they come out, what will it be? I'd guess that they'll try to do what they did to the Broncos, that is, come out in the hurry up, or up tempo offense, shotgun, 5 wide, and try to get the horses rolling immediately. I have to admit, it always scares me to see Brady lined up 5 wide, no RB when he is against his goal line (although it's likely to be the 20 yd. line) before he has a chance to see what the opponent's defense is going to do (or even when he knows what they are going to do - what crazy offense does this? The Pats, that's who). The Pats, however, never display such fear and they usually either get going, or (frustratingly at the end of the regular season) go 3 and out and waste their first possession.

An added worry for me this week - isn't this the formation that Brady was in on our first possession against the Ravens in 2009 when they knocked the ball out of his hands and quickly went up 14-0? Arrrggghhh. Pysching myself out here.

They won the coin toss against the Texans and defered. Don't know if that is an every game decision like with BB and Fox or a game by game decision.

I love deferring, but I also love putting up 7 in the first 2 minutes as we did against Denver.

No matter who wins the toss, I think that the Pats KO to open the game. If the Pats win the toss, BB is putting Flacco out there. I think if the Ravens win the toss, they are going to want to get there offense out there right away, because the last thing they want is to kick the ball to Brady and he march it down the field like last week and have Flacco already down by a TD before he takes the field.

No matter who wins the toss, I think that the Pats KO to open the game. If the Pats win the toss, BB is putting Flacco out there. I think if the Ravens win the toss, they are going to want to get there offense out there right away, because the last thing they want is to kick the ball to Brady and he march it down the field like last week and have Flacco already down by a TD before he takes the field.
I disagree and here is why.

The strength of the team is defense and that's where they have the most confidence. If the D can stop the patriots, then they should end up in better field position than starting from their own 20 yard line assumed start for any kickoff). That would put Flacco in a better position to get points.

I understnd that a first point score by the Pats puts more pressure on the whole team. I guress it comes down to how confident they are in their plan to exploit our D.

If I was Harbaugh and the Ravens won the coin toss I would defer.

- As mentioned above the team's strength is their defense, not the offense.

- Despite what happened last week there have been far more many examples of the Patriots offense starting slowly. Conversely they have scored far more points in the third quarter; defer and it at least temporarily keeps the Pats offense off the field to start the second half.

- Deferring gives the Ravens the same advantage the Pats look for (back to back possessions; extended rest for the defense) at half time.

- If nothing else you know receiving the ball to start the second half is what Belichick prefers, so take the opportunity to not let that happen.

I disagree and here is why.

The strength of the team is defense and that's where they have the most confidence. If the D can stop the patriots, then they should end up in better field position than starting from their own 20 yard line assumed start for any kickoff). That would put Flacco in a better position to get points.

I understnd that a first point score by the Pats puts more pressure on the whole team. I guress it comes down to how confident they are in their plan to exploit our D.

Ravens will definitely defer if they win the toss. They want to put their strongest unit on the field first and have a backup card (first possession of second half) in case they fall behind.

Ravens will definitely defer if they win the toss. They want to put their strongest unit on the field first and have a backup card (first possession of second half) in case they fall behind.

Or they may want to try to exploit our weakness first and make us play catchup against their strength. The argument works both directions. Most coaches receive/defer based on habit and beliefs.

Last edited:
They won the coin toss against the Texans and defered. Don't know if that is an every game decision like with BB and Fox or a game by game decision.

I think this was due to Yates being the starter that day. Not saying they wouldn't defer with us either but Brady provides a totally different challenge as the Broncos learned the hard way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye