Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Defensive Backfield

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Apr 8, 2007.

1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

Let's face it, unless AS is signed to a long-term contract in the next three weeks, we should presume that he is not part of the future.

I think that we need to bring in two top defensive backs: a corner and a free safety. Personally, I do not understand the need for a SS. We have Harrison and Sanders for 2007 and 2008. We have no one at free safety.

I expect a corner, a free safety, a running back and a linebacker in our first four picks. Obviously, I am not at all sure that we will draft a linebacker. Perhaps, we will draft a QB with our 4th pick.

While the order doesn't matter too much, I would hope for a corner in the first round. It also doesn't matter whether we get an ILB, and OLB or a DE tweener. The issue is whether bb can find any Day One player that he expects to contribute in our system. In the past, the answer has been "no". In any case, it could take two years for a drafted linebacker to contribute much.
    -----------------------------------

I am absolutely fine with the following secondary going into 2007. It is stronger than the group that we had for the end of the season and in the playoffs. Even understanding that a couple will be injured in 2007, I still expect us to have a better group in this year's playoffs than in last.

Please understand, Hobbs will be playing without a cast. Wilson will be playing. Sanders will continue or improve, as long as we keep him as SS. And we might even get help from the draftees, or even from Andrews.

CORNERS
    Hobbs,Scott,Gay,Day One pick

SAFETIES
    Wilson,Harrison,Hawkins,Sanders, Day One pick

STER's
    Andrews,Mitchell
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  2. DW Toys

DW Toys Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -2

Cousin,
    I respect your opinion.I am not sold on Sanders. He's too small for a SS at 5' 10" and 200 LBS. IMO. He's not a Bob Sanders! Hawkins is at the end. Wilson is definitely going the wrong way and I wish we could keep Harrison healthy and on the field for years....But we can't. I see Rodney as out only real Safety in 2007. Wilson might be better at CB. Sander is a good backup.
    A safety is a requirement.
    DW Toys
  3. mgteich

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

My post had us drafting a safety. I expect that we will draft on on Day One. I have us drafting a free safety.

It is not a matter on whether we are sold on Sanders, or whether he one of the best safeties in the league like Bob Sanders. He is an OK and an improving strong safety. Sanders is one of two stroing safeties on the roster for 2007: Harrison and Sanders. BTW, Bob Sanders is 5'8" and weighs 206 pounds.

My point is that the need at Free Safety is much more critical. Here we have Wilson in his last year and Hawkins, who while not "at the end" is a backup for the rest of his career. In any case, Hawkins isn't signed for 2008.

4. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I generally agree with your views MG. I would add though, if we are trading Asante, we'd take two corners on day one - particularly if we received an early 2007 pick as part of the consideration.
  5. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +71 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Rodney, Wilson, Hobbs, Scott, Hawkins, Sanders, Gay and anyone else we have is still alot of talent. Yes they are all at various stages in their career and some have injury concerns but that is not a bad group. I think most expect we will add a DB thru the draft so lets not panic. And If we can keep Asante happy we will have as good a secondary as this team has ever had, if we lose asante we will get stronger else where.
  6. mgteich

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

I have no issue with drafting an additional corner with the extra pick, if it's there.
  7. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Actually, James Sanders is not too small. He's 5'10", 210# and Bob Sanders is 5' 8" and 206.

Not saying James is better than Bob, only that James is not too small.

# 36 James Sanders
    Position: SS
    Height: 5-10
    Weight: 210
    Born: 11/11/1983
    College: Fresno State
    NFL Experience: 3

# 21 Bob Sanders
    Position: DB
    Height: 5-8
    Weight: 206
    Born: 02/24/1981
    College: Iowa
    NFL Experience: 4
  8. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's entirely possible that CB and Safety were considered need positions prior to the latest Samuel news.

Consider this: What were the odds of signing Samuel from '08 on? If they weren't good, than drafting a CB NOW makes sense. And BB isn't going to suddenly change his CB rankings just because he trades Samuel. If BB's top 3 CBs are ranked in round one, two, and three -- than that won't change. The difference being that assuming the trade nets another day one pick, BB will now have more flexibility to get that CB he wants.

In terms of Safety, Wilson and Sanders are not playmakers, and Rodney's days are limited. If the value and opportunity is there at both SS and FS, BB will draft one of each. Allow time for a player to develop, and when Rodney's ready to hang 'em up in '08, hopefully that '07 prospect will step right in.

You know what happens with expectations. :bricks:

Value -- that's it. With a Samuel trade, BB will just have another pick to play with, and hopefully net us one of those positions -- but then again -- maybe not. :)
  9. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

DWToys,

I have been curious as to your term of endearment towards our fellow posters for some time and cannot help myself from asking from whence it comes?
  10. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bob Sanders is too small for the way Bob Sanders plays.

After reading a lot of Samuel threads, I really believe the backfield is a bit of an afterthought in the Pats scheme, with more weight given to the safeties, as, after all, they are the "safety". I think they have a system, which Samuel's talent was maximized within, simultaneously because of HIS talent and ability to morph his mentality within, and damn good coaching.

Since we have undeniably made due with relative spare parts, and our situation is near dire, it stands to reason that better talent in the backfield will yield results nothing less than an improvement, eventually...
  11. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

It may play out this way but looking at it on paper if I was a coordinator facing the Patriots I would be attacking the corners all day. Unless the first day CB is really something special the cornerbacks look very weak without Samuel.

Starters of Hobbs and Scott would be among the worst in the league, if Gay leaves then the unit would have even less depth. This scenario gives Samuel just a tiny little bit of leverage. I hope he plays under the Franchise but I am sure they are making plans for every possible situation.

The Safeties can be improved and there is some good talent on Day 1 but we return our top 4 players from last year. Lots of things can happen (injuries, etc.) but even if we need nothing but add a player who can contribute as a backup in 07 the unit would be ok. I see FS as the bigger weakness of the two safety positions but even a round 1 FS round not likely start until 2008. I would rather build the 2008 roster after this season than to create holes on the 07 roster while building hope and depth for the future.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007