PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defensive Backfield Is Pretty Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have an even dozen players competing for 8-10 spots. Many can play both safety and nickel. Many are fine at dime back and special teams. And we even have a couple fighting for a practice squad spot.

We might bring in some camp fodder, or even another vet or two for more injury protection. However, I don't see us drafting a defensive back unless a great value falls in our lap.

CORNERS
Samuel, Warfield, C. Scott, Hobbs, Gay, Poteat

SAFETIES
Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Mitchell, G. Scott

PRACTICE SQUAD
Ventrone, Spann

I agree, especially at S. However, if BB finds a CB he likes, it will be Poteat that will get cut. :(
I would definitely understand though with Samuel, Wilson and Gay having their contracts expire in 24 months.

We're not keeping six corners on the roster, especially with at least two safeties who can play nickel: Hawkins and Sanders. But I do agree, if we find a player that will improve the squad, we will sign him or draft him. I just don't expect this to happen, unless Law's demands become much more reasonable.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if we draft some more just to add depth. The Patriots being "set" at CB is like saying a crack head wont do crack anymore. We have an injury problem, and we have to go into EVERY season with the best, and most depth possible.

bb and pioli don't draft players for injury insurance. They sign veterans like Poteat.

Are you suggesting signing a 4th or 5th rounder in case we have three or four defensive back injuries again? Are you willing to cut this player when only two are injured?

BionicPatriot said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we draft some more just to add depth. The Patriots being "set" at CB is like saying a crack head wont do crack anymore. We have an injury problem, and we have to go into EVERY season with the best, and most depth possible.

In the draft boards I have seen, there are no top rated CBs, so there might be opportunity for some good players in the lower first round.

And don't forget we also have B Childress who was a DB in college in addition to WR, along with T Brown.

I basically agree - unless there's a Safety in the 2nd or 3rd round who we love. Unless we're sold on Scott or Sanders, we would use a big time Safety in case Harrison doesn't make it back.

I still have my doubts about safety -- particularly, strong safety. There's only Hawkins with any kind of record of competence there. And, even if Rodney comes back fully fit (which we devoutly hope) it must be time to draft a replacement.

They'll be a few more additions..whether from the draft, UDFAs or FA...the Pats always bring in a few more so there is competition. I still think they'll draft a DB..maybe not as high, but I am sure they'll take someone..

still could be some more available after the June cuts, think BB and Scott do not want to see a replay of previous years where they are scrambling to plug in some players...also may take a mid round draft pick on a risky player...nothing this braintrust does surprises me.

I'm OK at safety with Hawkins and Sanders holding the fort until Rodney comes back (which I have the feeling will happen sooner than we think).

As for CB, we have great depth. There will be great competition as Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Warfield and Scott all feel they can start. My gut feeling is Hobbs, with his motor, is the safest bet to win a starting job.

Still, I'm concerned that we have a roster full of #2 CBs and nickel types. Grented, there are very few #1 CBs in this league. Our depth is enviable, but we can't consider Gay or Scott gaurentees until we see them play.

I still see a day 1 corner. Not a round 1 corner, the value at #21 is at other positions, but a great value pick on a guy who can step in and start in 2 years when one of our younger guys (Samuel, Gay) bolts for greener pastures. My fingers are crossed that Kelly Jennings will be on the board when we pick in round 2. IF not him, than someone we've never heard of late round 3.

And before everyone jumps on me for pushing for a corner, remember our position this time last year. We had Poole, Samuel, Gay, Starks and Scott, and still drafted Hobbs, supposedly for the future. That turned out OK.

Last edited:
What I see at corner is a bunch of "adequate" players. Does anyone else think we need a dominating No. 1 cornerback (like Law in his prime) back there? I do.

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
What I see at corner is a bunch of "adequate" players. Does anyone else think we need a dominating No. 1 cornerback (like Law in his prime) back there? I do.

I do also.

Then you can help out Samuel and not expose him like last year. Bear in mind also that Harrison will not be back at full strength. His injury takes 2 years to fully recover from.

Roster spots may be set. Starters are far from set!!!!!!!!

Tunescribe said:
You can say the same about Safety unless you expect Harrison back at 100%. These positions are much like others (OL, RB, WR) to me - we're fine but if we can get a stud then let's do it. It just comes down to draft evaluation because we won't sign a FA #1 CB in this lifetime (or under Belioli, I should say).

If we think Marshall, Cromartie, or whoever can be a #1 CB then we move on him. Same at Safety with Whitner, Bing, or whoever. Neither S nor CB is a need position but if we can get a get we think can be a stud . . . GO.

Triumph said:
I do also.

Then you can help out Samuel and not expose him like last year. Bear in mind also that Harrison will not be back at full strength. His injury takes 2 years to fully recover from.
I tend to agree...if they can get a vet later on, I am sue they will..it's nice what they have now, but set?? I don't believe that BB ever has it set..a better player becomes available and in budget and you think he'd pass on improving?? Won't happen.

Tunescribe said:
I do not. The Patriot Way is about having a strong middle class. We won SB 39 without a dominant corner (Ty Law was hurt in the Pittsburgh game in the first half of the season) - the starters were Gay and Samuel IIRC.

As regards the numbers of DB's on the roster, remember that if things go the way they have the past 2-3 years, half these guys will be hurt by the end of training camp. :rolleyes:

Who Is our top CB

I like what I see of Hobbs and if the pats draft a cb high, that means that BB may not think so.

If they don't I think Hobbs will be our #1 in 3 years

The most important thing is that a QB can't drop back and look for who Troy Brown is covering. I love Troy, like everyone does, but for the love of God, he has been our #3 CB in the playoffs two years in a row. We will go into next season with one of Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield, Scott as our #5 CB. If only two go out for the year, one of them will be our #3 CB. We have fixed the problem in the secondary barring another inexplicable group of injuries. If one of these guys steps up as a stud, great. But we've upgraded tremendously just having 5 playable guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back