PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defense Will be as good as 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have about 7 free agents and 7 draftees still to come, but even now the defensive propsects are fine. McGinist will be hard to replace, but he will be replaced. I see no reason to believe that one of the strongest defenses in the league at the end of the season will be getting weaker.

We need about 5-7, but could go with just jags at all but linebacker.
-----------------------------------
DEFENSIVE LINE (perhaps one to compete as backup NT)
With no additions, Klecko will probably be beaten out by Thomas. This group figures to be a bit better as the youngsters all improve. There are no old vets.

LINEBACKERS (need two additions)
We have nine, the right number. Claridge is our young draftee. Alexander and one other should get pushed out by additions. Colvin should have a good year. Are we really complaining about the LB corps getting younger? Beisel will stay if only as a special teamer.

CORNERS (need two)
We'll likely bring in 2-3 to compete with who we have. As of now, we have as good as we ended the season with. And Gay is back.

SAFETY (add a special teamer)
I'm fine with Wilson,Hawkins and Sanders.

mgteich said:
We have about 7 free agents and 7 draftees still to come, but even now the defensive propsects are fine. McGinist will be hard to replace, but he will be replaced. I see no reason to believe that one of the strongest defenses in the league at the end of the season will be getting weaker.

With no additions, Klecko will probably be beaten out by Thomas. This group figures to be a bit better as the youngsters all improve. There are no old vets.

We have nine, the right number. Claridge is our young draftee. Alexander and one other should get pushed out by additions. Colvin should have a good year. Are we really complaining about the LB corps getting younger? Beisel will stay if only as a special teamer.

CORNERS (need two)
We'll likely bring in 2-3 to compete with who we have. As of now, we have as good as we ended the season with. And Gay is back.

I love the anticipation and heart BUT WAY WAY WAY TOOOO EARLY to even remotely say anything like that.

mgteich said:

CORNERS (need two)

Mg,

Don't forget Mike Stone. He isthe new ST star. He nearly duplicated the exploits of Davis and Izzo in about a 1/3 of a season. He may not be a great regular safety but he's better than Jerod Cherry ever was, and just as good on ST. And he is 5-6 years younger than Davis and Izzo. I consider him one of the finds of last season.

Stone hasn't been re-signed yet...but I want him back too.

The Defense Will be as good as 2005

Wow. I hope it's a little better than that! Up through the halfway point of the season, the Pats defense couldn't stop a Pop Warner team.

IMO, the job Belichick did turning a putrid defense around late in the season may have been his most impressive coaching job ever.

Stone might have been a special team star, but I don't think he has been re-signed. As I indicated, we should add a special teamer. Stone would be fine.

AzPatsFan said:
Mg,

Don't forget Mike Stone. He isthe new ST star. He nearly duplicated the exploits of Davis and Izzo in about a 1/3 of a season. He may not be a great regular safety but he's better than Jerod Cherry ever was, and just as good on ST. And he is 5-6 years younger than Davis and Izzo. I consider him one of the finds of last season.

Of course it's way early to make conclusions. But I am a bit tired of the gloom and doom on one side and the polyanna on the other. I think we are we have been for the last 5 seasons at this point. We have some holes to fill, and we need to see which free agents and which rookies will make the roster, and which will contribute.

Bottom line is that I think it is reasonable to project a better team and see what we need to fill the holes to make it happen. I would rather do that discuss every high-profile free that gets signed. We almost never sign any in the first week, if ever. I suppose Harrison was close.

SeanBruschi54 said:
I love the anticipation and heart BUT WAY WAY WAY TOOOO EARLY to even remotely say anything like that.

It is very possible that the D will be improved in '06, especially if Harrison, Bruschi and Seymour are healthy.

mgteich said:
Stone might have been a special team star, but I don't think he has been re-signed. As I indicated, we should add a special teamer. Stone would be fine.
I liked Stone. He missed some tackles, but i thought he showed a lot of enthusiasm in the physicality dept. I would definitely like to see some depth added at SS. Is Tank Wiliams an option? I don't know. I have a friend who is a Titans fan, and he said he's an underachiever, but that may once again be on of those "in our system" things. SS is such a key position.

Defense could be better - not hard to imagine.

I think D has a chance to be better this year for the following reasons:

1. Hobbs will be more experienced. He is coming long nicely.

2. Samuel is good but either Samuel or Hobbs could be beat out in TC
depending who they bring in.

3. If Rodney is back ... automatic improvement with his leadership on the field.

4. There will be a replacement for Willie. If that replacement plays ILB and
Vrabel moves outside then depending on how good that new ILB is the front
seven could be better.

5. Wilfork seemed to get the hang of it towards end of last year, I look to
see him to continue to improve.

6. Seymour should play his heart out with a big contract year coming up.
( I don't see Seymour signing a contract - he wants to see FA money )

7. I think Pees will make us forget Mangini real quick.

One concern is the Defense coaching ... I think they are still short here.
They do not have a DB or LB coach unless the DC is going to do it all.
I would have thought they would have obtained at least one more defense
position coach by now.

IMO, we need a run-stopper so Vrabel can replace Willie and another corner, Richard Marshall would do. Claridge may be the MLB. He's not much of a blitzer.

The question is are we talking the first half of 2005 or the second half of 2005 or a combination of both?

The first half of 2005 the D was terrible. The 2nd half it was really good.

JR4 said:
I think D has a chance to be better this year for the following reasons:

1. Hobbs will be more experienced. He is coming long nicely.

2. Samuel is good but either Samuel or Hobbs could be beat out in TC
depending who they bring in.

3. If Rodney is back ... automatic improvement with his leadership on the field.

4. There will be a replacement for Willie. If that replacement plays ILB and
Vrabel moves outside then depending on how good that new ILB is the front
seven could be better.

5. Wilfork seemed to get the hang of it towards end of last year, I look to
see him to continue to improve.

6. Seymour should play his heart out with a big contract year coming up.
( I don't see Seymour signing a contract - he wants to see FA money )

7. I think Pees will make us forget Mangini real quick.

One concern is the Defense coaching ... I think they are still short here.
They do not have a DB or LB coach unless the DC is going to do it all.
I would have thought they would have obtained at least one more defense
position coach by now.
Collier is the secondary coach - even if the web page hasn't been updated. http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=30932

Between BB, DP, and Pepper Johnson, do you really think the LBs will lack coaching? :cool:

I think that the last of the year worked so well party because Vrabel and Bruschi played well together in the middle. Claridge, Beisel, and whichever STer ILB's we keep should have us fine inside.

Let's focus on the reality. We lost Willie and we have a need at OLB. For now, we have Colvin, Banta-Cain and Eric Alexander. We should add a free agent or two and a first day free agent, perhaps even a first rounder.

jczxohn1 said:
IMO, we need a run-stopper so Vrabel can replace Willie and another corner, Richard Marshall would do. Claridge may be the MLB. He's not much of a blitzer.

mgteich said:

CORNERS (need two)

A great post..among all the gloom and doom a reality check of where this team is...and it is not in a bad place at all.
DEFENSIVE LINE---- I agree, the line is solid and young and will be better..a backup would be very helpful, whether that be a rookie or a vet. Wilfork played a lot and while I think he was better toward the second part of the year, a solid baclup into the rotation will keep him fresher and more effective.
Maybe one of the quicker types of NT, so as to have a nice shift...sort of like the quicker Hamilton and the more physical Bishop in the 70s.
LINEBACKERS----- Two are needed...one inside and another OLB..to basically do what Willie did. I'm not sure TBC is that player at all, and whether that eb a vet or a rookie..it doesn't matter. Same with the ILB. They really don't make players like TJ anymore, which is a shame. If one can be found in the draft, I'd plug him in and have him there with the 3 vets starting.
Clarieidge if I remember, wa ssomeone who could play ILB or OLB, so he should also be a factor. Two young players and this team will be solid in linebacking.
CORNERBACKS----Hobbs, Samuels, Gay?? We need a good vet to come in and match up with those backs..and bring in a rook as well so ther ewill be maybe 5 strong.
SAFETY-----I kind of disagree here..thinking a vet safety would help the cause. But definitely a STer. A real hard hitter needed. If that is all, he may be playing in Europe, Ray Ventrone.
Considering how the D was at the start..pretty porous and how much stronger it was in the end, the team is in great shape to get better. If ONLY one year the DBs are not in the MASH outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes