PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Deep Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss commented that as in the SB Brady saw safety help where there was none. I didn't see it either--I thought Brady could have led Lloyd to the post and required no adjustment on the receiver's part. This year he has had Lloyd and Gronk wide open behind the D and could not connect on either one. They could have caught the balls, but Brady also could have thrown balls that were easier to catch. I cannot place 100% of the blame on the receivers.

This thread is going to become the thread from hell.

1. On replays from the throw last week, I saw Brady throw it exactly on the same line that Lloyd had been running for 15 yards. Lloyd cut to the post. If Brady had thrown a post and Lloyd kept running straight, we'd be wondering why. In other words, Brady threw it exactly on line with Lloyd, not even a foo or two to the left or right. You could see it on the replay. It was Lloyd that diverged.

2. Brady was off target to Lloyd this week on the long throw, but then again, there were two defenders right on Lloyd's pocket, so throwing long was the play there. If it were on target, it could have been defended.

3. We can't expect Gronk, a big 265 TE, to have the adjustment skill 60 yard downfield that WRs do. IMO, that was a perfect throw, one that most WRs would catch, but throwing that long to a TE creates a very high degree of difficulty.

This thread is going to become the thread from hell.

1. On replays from the throw last week, I saw Brady throw it exactly on the same line that Lloyd had been running for 15 yards. Lloyd cut to the post. If Brady had thrown a post and Lloyd kept running straight, we'd be wondering why. In other words, Brady threw it exactly on line with Lloyd, not even a foo or two to the left or right. You could see it on the replay. It was Lloyd that diverged.

2. Brady was off target to Lloyd this week on the long throw, but then again, there were two defenders right on Lloyd's pocket, so throwing long was the play there. If it were on target, it could have been defended.

3. We can't expect Gronk, a big 265 TE, to have the adjustment skill 60 yard downfield that WRs do. IMO, that was a perfect throw, one that most WRs would catch, but throwing that long to a TE creates a very high degree of difficulty.

You're blaming Gronk's physical attributes now for that missed connection? LOL. Yup, this thread has reached that status.

I blame his hands...went straight through them.

You're blaming Gronk's physical attributes now for that missed connection? LOL. Yup, this thread has reached that status.

Have you seen a 265 guy adjust to a 60 yard bomb before?

Yeah Brady to Moss was a fluke.

It was like, "Tom just throw it really far and I'll get under it"

They way Moss played that year, plenty of QB's would have torn it up with him.

Agreed, as further evidenced by the fact that Moss made quarterbacks such as Daunte Culpepper, Jeff George, and Randall Cunningham look good.

I blame his hands...went straight through them.

This, Gronk dropped a couple of key passes yesterday. This includes the 2 point conversion play that he clumsily dropped.

A ball traveling 40+ yards in the air is by nature a very low percentage play, and more often than not serves the purpose of backing up the defense because they think you are willing to try it, rather than serving as a staple of your offense. It's great when it works out, obviously, but everything had to be in sync.

Lloyd in week one totally messed up a great throw by breaking off the route and turning way too soon. The two yesterday are harder to parse out without having the replay, but my feeling is that the balls were where they needed to be to give the receiver a better chance than the defender to may the play.

Have you seen a 265 guy adjust to a 60 yard bomb before?

If Brady had thrown a better ball, he wouldn't have to dive for it. I'm not disputing that he's not as nimble on his feet as WRs, but to blame him for that missed opportunity when Brady could have thrown a better ball is nuts.

Agreed, as further evidenced by the fact that Moss made quarterbacks such as Daunte Culpepper, Jeff George, and Randall Cunningham look good.

This is exactly the point I'm making. QBs like Philip Rivers have Floyd/had Jackson, Stafford has Calvin Johnson, there are a good many QBs in the league like Eli Manning that are throwing the ball up to at least 1 if not 2 big guys with great athleticism. Julio Jones in Atlanta. These guys are big and have not only great leaping ability, but they adjust to the ball. Few have been playing their whole careers with short possession receivers like Brady has.

More evidence provided against Baltimore. Even when given 3.5 to 4 seconds in pocket, the deep ball does not get any more accurate.

First, I think deep passes are overrated. Brady and Brees are two of the three best QBs in the league on two of the highest scoring offenses the last few years and neither are deep ball passers right now. Deep ball passing was far more needed 5-10 plus years ago when you had a lot of big armed, immobile QBs who hucked the ball down field like Bledsoe. With the new rules, short to intermediate passing is more effective in most cases.

Second, Brady and Lloyd are just getting their timing down now. Now that they are starting to be more comfortable with each other, they can start to open up the playbook with the two. If they aren't on the same page with the high percentage passes (which was the case in the first game), you aren't going to have much hope with the low percentage passes like deep ball routes.

Third, the o-line needs to hold up better to allow Brady to throw an accurate deep ball. To throw an accurate deep ball, Brady needs to be able to step into it. That means the interior of the line needs to hold up and Brady can't be throwing on the move.

More evidence provided against Baltimore. Even when given 3.5 to 4 seconds in pocket, the deep ball does not get any more accurate.

Yet another ridiculous claim made. Congrats....

Yet another ridiculous claim made. Congrats....

I seem to remember him being at one time a respectable poster. Either my memory sucks or he's gone downhill fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back