Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Death of a Word

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

It's just a word - how much weight can it carry? Can a word's meaning change over the years? Like the word, "gay" for instance - it used to connote joy and wild abandon - like in the "Gay '90's." But now, 100 years later, it's meaning has changed entirely.

Or take "bad." Bad used to mean, well, it meant bad. Now it means, "good." Like saying, 'Man,Randy Moss was baddddd in last night's game," when, in fact, he scored 3 touchdowns.

"Christian" is another changing word. Used to be anyone who believed in Christ was happy to be defined as a "Christian." Now, not so much. It's been commandeered by the extremists - and other religions, such as Catholics, are shying away from using it as an identifier because they do not want to be identified with the fanatics who've claimed it as their own.

The more any one group of people use a word to define themselves the more that word becomes the new definition in the minds of those hearing it.

I have a feeling it is going to be so with the word "Patriot." More and more people are narrowing the definition of the word to suit their own personal needs or beliefs. More and more fringe groups, such as The White Patriot Party, the Tea Party, and numerous extremist militia groups are tossing the phrase around or incorporating it into their selling point as if it belonged to no one but them and anyone who disagrees with them or their views are suddenly "unpatriotic."

Given time, overuse and misuse of the word itself and it will become something to avoid for many people. It will have been co-opted by a few to the distaste of the many. People will still love their country but they will be too disgusted by the ever-narrowing "them or us" mentality of those who incessantly use the word for their own gain (Sarah Palin and the Oath Keepers come to mind) to continue using it in any familiar sense of the word.

It is my personal prediction that the definition of the word "patriot" that we grew up with will become obsolete and come to mean something entirely different - probably within our lifetime - maybe within the next decade.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How about this word...Marriage.
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Sticky one - since it has a legal meaning as well as a definition.

The legal definition has been accepted as a legal union between a man and a woman....but the word "marriage" itself has several acceptable meanings. There's a "marriage of minds," there's a blending or welding of ideas, such as "a marriage between poetry and painting." Marriage has always signified a close relationship or an intimate union.

However, I assume you're referring to the legal definition and I'll have to say, yeah, if enough states allow gays to marry than the legal definition of "marriage" will have to change, as well.

Nothing else about the word will change, however - it will still mean a close union or an intimate relationship. There may be sub-sets, like "gay marriage" or "marriage of convenience" but the core meaning will remain the same.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, words certainly not only change in meaning, but fall into and out of favor with the general populace. For example, you rarely see liberal politicians call themselves "liberal" - because that word has such a negative connotation. They try to describe themselves as "progressive".

Of course, just about every single group usurps terms that we all "agree" with to describe themselves. Take, for example, the group "People for the American Way." They are trying to send out the implied message that we support the American Way and if you oppose us, then you oppose America. Of course, what they consider "American Way" and what I consider "American Way" are pretty much 2 entirely different things.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go smoke some faggots.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I thought it died when it was bastardized in the so called "Patriot Act"...
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

True enough....and many former conservatives call themselves "independants" so that we understand they are thinking for themselves and follow no man.

Quite ok.....I'm taking a brownie break myself while the hash I'm cooking for dinner simmers.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

I knew you were on something, after I fire up a joint I still like to eat peanut butter with my fingers and I can still laugh my a$s off at a light bulb....

:bricks:
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -9

Seriously, do you still puff on the ganj now and then Harry?