PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Day After...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It is the annual Winter of our Discontent. It is ... The Day After.

The first round of the draft and the Annual & Usual, Wrist Slashing ritual has started to run its course, along with the bewildered expressions of "Who...?" and "What the .... ?"

I used to invest a lot in picking, from the outside, the players the Pats would take, only to be totally befuddled... The Day After.

After you get a chance to look at the answers, analogous to looking in the back of the book, so to speak, the answer becomes more obvious, always.

Belichick is still actively re-building the Team,while still winning. Pieces he put into place, he patiently waits for them to bloom, recognizing that sometime it takes a year or three for the results to really show. Impatient fans are we.

Starting with the Meriwether pick, BB set ought to totally transform the Pats secondary, with a new generation. The Lawyer, Ty, Hitman, generation was drawing to an end, and a new secondary generation needed to be planted, groomed, trained and prepared. The early parts are there now, Sanders and Meriwether are just entering their prime. The new corners are still being fed and watered; meanwhile the older annual vet patches, like Springs are imported to temporarily suffice.

Before the secondary he had done that very thing, with the Offensive line, harvesting players from his early years like Light, Koppen and Neal, but adding other new foundations like, Mankins, Volmer, Levoir, and a bundle of others that have a year or two of grooming before they will be fully ready. Asamoah anyone?

Everybody is bemoaning the lack of pass rush, but sometimes when you look at the answers, you see that battle is/was actually pretty much over, last year. We just haven't seen it yet. We are like armchair generals, fighting the Last War.

At rush LB, we have three fairly good ones, Burgess, Adalius, TBC with a couple of other still being groomed. At DL, we have moved to a newer generation, with Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Brace, Pryor and the usual vet patch, Damione Lewis. (maybe not so usual)

I didn't like letting a "Foundation Lineman" like Richard Seymour go, but there was apparently, no way to reconcile his already Haynesworth salary, with other pay needs. I like to say, you never trade a Reggie White, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page or Dan Hampton, the very definition of a Foundation Lineman. They make others around them into stars, and you find that you can't find a substitute.

For 'My Pick', I was resigned to Oldrick, but I had a feeling he was just a routine First Round replacement, good but not a great one.

Looking a the back-of-the-book answers, If you had added Seymour's usual 8 or so interior sacks to the quantity supplied by the outside guys, the pass rush numbers were back in championship number areas. Its obvious NOW, why Damione Lewis, a former First Rounder, a 300# penetrating pass rush interior lineman, so untypical of a the usual 3-4 Read-and-React lineman, was the first FA imported signing. He was meant ot supply the INTERIOR pass rush that BB diagnosed, correctly, as missing.

The ILBs have three formidable youngsters too. The offside SOLB, seems to have some candidate players too, but I wouldn't mind an investment there. But you need a bigger guy, with less pass rush ability but still some. Greg Hardy, perhaps?

Let round Two of the annual Blood-letting begin.

The day after feels miserable. I should be excited about tonight, but I dread four more bizarre picks like a QB, S, P and another CB.

Matt Patricia needs to be a man and whack BB on the back on the head with a baseball bat when pick #44 comes up, then Matt can phone in the name of an OLB. It is clear to me that BB is never going to do it.

PS: But we did learn one thing. BB says he does not care what the other AFC East did this off season, but his draft says they scared him poopless.

Alas poor Yorick, who did NE just draft?

I find I really enjoyed yesterday's draft and by the end of round one I was cheering the various picks and moves, including that NE pick at #27. I'm excited to see where things go tonight.

Matt Patricia needs to be a man and whack BB on the back on the head with a baseball bat when pick #44 comes up, then Matt can phone in the name of an OLB. It is clear to me that BB is never going to do it.
Other than Hughes (and the ones who were long gone), all the OLB are still out there. We have TONS of choice of OLB that would have made many here happy at #22. However, the CB are going, going, gone at the top level.

So the Patriots have been drafting flowers the last few years?

Blooming idiots :bricks:

Actually, last draft was a good one and may become even better if Brace gets it this year and Tate and McKenzie can stay healthy and contribute.

Plenty of good players left. Hope BB doesn't get cutesy with his trades and actually, ya know, PICKS a player that we can say OK...FINALLY .....

I would love to see a RB taken that can replace Taylor or Morris....I have no faith Maroney will get it and have a breakout year, especially having to face some pretty darn good defensive teams this season. New blood needed at that position...TE....WR...and an OLB would be icing on the cake.....

It is the annual Winter of our Discontent. It is ... The Day After.

The first round of the draft and the Annual & Usual, Wrist Slashing ritual has started to run its course, along with the bewildered expressions of "Who...?" and "What the .... ?"

I used to invest a lot in picking, from the outside, the players the Pats would take, only to be totally befuddled... The Day After.

After you get a chance to look at the answers, analogous to looking in the back of the book, so to speak, the answer becomes more obvious, always.

Belichick is still actively re-building the Team,while still winning. Pieces he put into place, he patiently waits for them to bloom, recognizing that sometime it takes a year or three for the results to really show. Impatient fans are we.

Starting with the Meriwether pick, BB set ought to totally transform the Pats secondary, with a new generation. The Lawyer, Ty, Hitman, generation was drawing to an end, and a new secondary generation needed to be planted, groomed, trained and prepared. The early parts are there now, Sanders and Meriwether are just entering their prime. The new corners are still being fed and watered; meanwhile the older annual vet patches, like Springs are imported to temporarily suffice.

Before the secondary he had done that very thing, with the Offensive line, harvesting players from his early years like Light, Koppen and Neal, but adding other new foundations like, Mankins, Volmer, Levoir, and a bundle of others that have a year or two of grooming before they will be fully ready. Asamoah anyone?

Everybody is bemoaning the lack of pass rush, but sometimes when you look at the answers, you see that battle is/was actually pretty much over, last year. We just haven't seen it yet. We are like armchair generals, fighting the Last War.

At rush LB, we have three fairly good ones, Burgess, Adalius, TBC with a couple of other still being groomed. At DL, we have moved to a newer generation, with Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Brace, Pryor and the usual vet patch, Damione Lewis. (maybe not so usual)

I didn't like letting a "Foundation Lineman" like Richard Seymour go, but there was apparently, no way to reconcile his already Haynesworth salary, with other pay needs. I like to say, you never trade a Reggie White, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page or Dan Hampton, the very definition of a Foundation Lineman. They make others around them into stars, and you find that you can't find a substitute.

For 'My Pick', I was resigned to Oldrick, but I had a feeling he was just a routine First Round replacement, good but not a great one.

Looking a the back-of-the-book answers, If you had added Seymour's usual 8 or so interior sacks to the quantity supplied by the outside guys, the pass rush numbers were back in championship number areas. Its obvious NOW, why Damione Lewis, a former First Rounder, a 300# penetrating pass rush interior lineman, so untypical of a the usual 3-4 Read-and-React lineman, was the first FA imported signing. He was meant ot supply the INTERIOR pass rush that BB diagnosed, correctly, as missing.

The ILBs have three formidable youngsters too. The offside SOLB, seems to have some candidate players too, but I wouldn't mind an investment there. But you need a bigger guy, with less pass rush ability but still some. Greg Hardy, perhaps?

Let round Two of the annual Blood-letting begin.

OK, so you say we need to practice patience?? I will contend that yesterday was EXACTLY the opposite! Yesterday was a knee-jerk reaction to our ineptness in the defensive backfield over the last 2 years. Starting 2 years ago we did a complete overhaul, DB coach and all. Since then we have 2 high-paid Free agents, 4 first or second round picks and a couple other 4th rounders. Thats 8 players for 4 positions, even if you argue a NICKEL spot should be starting caliber you are admitting major mistakes. This whole thing is ridiculous, BB himself isnt confident enough in his high picks to even let them develop 2 years! Everyone accepts that it takes 3 years to evaluate players, I suggest BB hasnt taken more than 1! If he knew he was drafting a CB #1 why sign $$ Bodden?? Your high 2nd rd pick(Butler)is only going to be a NICKEL...its the only answer. And if you accept that then our 08 2nd rd pick(Wheatley) CANT play NICKEL!! Add to that you are now assuming that Springs, last years big FA CB was blown and will now be cut! This 1 pick affected 4 guys jobs after 1 year together. Thats hardly patience.

OK, so you say we need to practice patience?? I will contend that yesterday was EXACTLY the opposite! Yesterday was a knee-jerk reaction to our ineptness in the defensive backfield over the last 2 years. Starting 2 years ago we did a complete overhaul, DB coach and all. Since then we have 2 high-paid Free agents, 4 first or second round picks and a couple other 4th rounders. Thats 8 players for 4 positions, even if you argue a NICKEL spot should be starting caliber you are admitting major mistakes. This whole thing is ridiculous, BB himself isnt confident enough in his high picks to even let them develop 2 years! Everyone accepts that it takes 3 years to evaluate players, I suggest BB hasnt taken more than 1! If he knew he was drafting a CB #1 why sign $$ Bodden?? Your high 2nd rd pick(Butler)is only going to be a NICKEL...its the only answer. And if you accept that then our 08 2nd rd pick(Wheatley) CANT play NICKEL!! Add to that you are now assuming that Springs, last years big FA CB was blown and will now be cut! This 1 pick affected 4 guys jobs after 1 year together. Thats hardly patience.

Here's the thing. A couple years back, BB and Dimitroff (by then, the falcons GM) each independently discussed a changing concept wrt safeties that obscures the strict division of labor between SS and FS and makes them interchangeable. I think BB may be taking that a half-step further and muddling differences between safety and corner, at least in the nickel. The ultimate objective being to have five DBs out there who can both cover and tackle well, regardless of their nominal position.

AfterI thought about the McCourty pick (over my binky, Wilson), I realized his style is sort of "safety-ish" and it began to make a lot more sense given the above context. As far as how it reflects on the 2009 roster, yeah, Wheatley is looking like a mistake. But Springs sort of epitomizes (or, once did) the CB/FS-style DB that BB may be looking for now and he's onboard for his veteran tutoring and leadership as much as for his playing contribution (IMHO); Wilhite was about equal to Springs last year and getting better in fits and starts; Sanders is at least consistently decent. Chung's complete capabilities are still unknown. To me, the guy who's on the outs after the McCourty pick is McGowan. He's much more an old-style SS: coverage is questionable to awful, but tackles like a bahstahd.

So, I don't really see it as a "desperation" pick at all.

Here's the thing. A couple years back, BB and Dimitroff (by then, the falcons GM) each independently discussed a changing concept wrt safeties that obscures the strict division of labor between SS and FS and makes them interchangeable. I think BB may be taking that a half-step further and muddling differences between safety and corner, at least in the nickel. The ultimate objective being to have five DBs out there who can both cover and tackle well, regardless of their nominal position.

AfterI thought about the McCourty pick (over my binky, Wilson), I realized his style is sort of "safety-ish" and it began to make a lot more sense given the above context. As far as how it reflects on the 2009 roster, yeah, Wheatley is looking like a mistake. But Springs sort of epitomizes (or, once did) the CB/FS-style DB that BB may be looking for now and he's onboard for his veteran tutoring and leadership as much as for his playing contribution (IMHO); Wilhite was about equal to Springs last year and getting better in fits and starts; Sanders is at least consistently decent. Chung's complete capabilities are still unknown. To me, the guy who's on the outs after the McCourty pick is McGowan. He's much more an old-style SS: coverage is questionable to awful, but tackles like a bahstahd.

The #22 pick is really three prospects: McCourty, the 3rd rounder and the 4th rounder they got for trading down twice. Let's see what those bring. No desperation in turning one player into three in the top 125.

The Pats may be looking at how to buy time for the 3-4 to get more coverage sacks with so many solid DBs on this team and loads of speed at CB and Safety. With a solid run defense, this pick is a reasonable step with four more today. An edge rusher and a fast linebacker who can drop into coverage in Round 2 will calm everyone down.

After that, with the remaining 12 (twelve!) picks in the 2010 draft, BB can go nuts picking five or six WR/TE prospects and 5 or 6 running backs to challenge Maroney. Long way to go here.

What you are saying with the in-between safties makes some sense, but that only over-values a guy like Berry.... why NOT trade up for such a tweener that can play everywhere because that is valuable to you?? You have the ammo. No excuses. I dont think there is any way to show leadership if you dont dress more than 7 games a season. We need 2nd round players TO START!! Right now not a single player from last year is set to start(if you assume the CB position is "given" to the first rd pick-I do). Dont give me this Edleman stuff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back