Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Dark Knight [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PonyExpress, Jul 11, 2008.

1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Really looking forward to this flick. I've been following the reviews, which thus far have been universal in praise.

The universal praise gives me pause. Truly great films are usually too daring to receive universal praise. For instance, I thought The Prestige was a profound movie, and it was panned by many people on its initial release.

I'm not a film buff; Usually there's only about one movie a year that really draws my attention. Hopefully the Dark Knight is a classic, kind of like a modern greek tragedy, not just standard comic book cheese.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Re: The Dark Knight

I'm usually really good at telling whether a film will be good or not just by what they show in the trailers. I'm surprisingly rarely wrong. Although I have been way off a few times. I thought The Fisher King would be awful. When I actually watched it it became one of my all time favorite films. I really liked Batman Begins and felt it was the best of all the Batman movies. Many have disagreed with me on that. The trailers for The Dark Night looks like it will be a good action film. Worth the price of admission. Much like the Spider Man movies.
  3. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I didn't get caught up into the Dark Knight hype until late in the game. My initial reaction to the trailer was that it looked like too much action, and over-the-top action - but after watching some of the clips online (rottentomatoes.com), I couldn't feel farther from that original reaction. Batman has always been my favorite of the super heroes, and based on everything I've seen now, it looks like Nolan has captured the Batman perfectly in this film.

Honestly, this movie looks like a potential classic. We haven't had many of those lately - successful, well-made mainstream movies that embed themselves into pop culture and film history alike. The reviews - many of which have claimed it an instant classic - have raised my expectations for the movie even higher.

What's more telling is where the negative reviews are coming from - New York critics, typically known for film snobbery. That tells me that this movie is so good that the film snobs - and I went to film school, so I can tell a film snob when I see one, and lo and behold, most are hipsters from NYC - are paranoid and insecure about the fact that a comic book movie is being mentioned in the same breath as the Untouchables, the Departed & being called a masterpiece/classic, a great piece of crime fiction etc.

I friggin can't wait for this movie now.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

I'm a grownup and not usually into comicbook flicks like ths but Dark Night looks really interesting. Say, does Batperson still have the nubile young squire or is that out in these PC times?
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +895 / 16 / -24

No Jersey Selected

Isn't it being rumored that Heath Ledger is already in Oscar talks for this?
  6. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It is Kontradiction. I think that might be a little hasty, but maybe not. Ledger, from what I've seen, has done AMAZING as the Joker. I'm an avid comic book fan, and he studied some of the most seminal comic book works that really portray the Joker at his psychopathic best. He also reportedly studied Alex from A Clockwork Orange, noting the similarities between the two characters. I've really heard this is Ledger's movie. Shame such a talented human being was lost.

Also, there's a Watchmen trailer before the Dark Knight. Any of you Alan Moore or Watchmen fans? I was hesitant about a movie version of this, but so far it sounds amazing close to the graphic novel by Moore. For any of you that don't know, Watchmen is a VERY different type of superhero story; extremely original and human. Amazing stuff, looking forward to the movie.
  7. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +895 / 16 / -24

No Jersey Selected

8. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Wow. Never saw the Fisher King. I'll definitely take a look!
  9. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I grew up on the DC comics of the 70s, batman and superman, also Tarzan. Never really warmed up to Marvel. I always thought Marvel were wannabes, whereas DC comics were the originals. DC was darker, harkening back to the film noir ethos. Marvel was like Scooby doo and the mystery machine with bright colors targeting the 60s generation, artwork inspired by the Sgt Pepper album (OK maybe not that bad). Even as a kid I didn't like it, except Spidey in small doses.

Weird how they can't get Superman down in Hollywood. I didn't even bother going to see the most recent one when I heard they had removed the "American Way" bit from his credo of Truth and justice. That's when you know they don;t understand the comics.

When I was a kid reading superman, it was freaking awesome. They had cool villains like Solomon Grundy. I even remember an awesome tongue in cheek episode that began with Superman recovering from a beating delivered by Muhammad Ali. All the ads were for KISS, Orca and with plenty of Dr J inserts. Dr J was portrayed as a comic book hero back in the late 70s.

Obviously, all my comics were tossed by good old Mom. It's been twenty years since I read one. Now they seem to be the big deal in hollywood, with story boarding etc. But I can't take more of these MArvel heroes. Newbies!

As far as batman, batman was the S@#t. Even as a kid you knew Robin was a fruit, he wasn't in any of the comics. it was just Batman kicking ***** on his own, dark and deadly with the playboy persona, every red blooded american kid's hero, like James Bond but better, without the fussy British thing.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  10. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +895 / 16 / -24

No Jersey Selected

This movie was amazing. For anyone saying that they'll be sitting there thinking of Heath Ledger dying the entire time... you won't. THAT'S how good his performance was. A lot of death in this film and it's on the cusp of an "R" rating. I won't give away any spoilers but I recommend that anyone who loves movies and/or comics and/or Batman should see this immediately.
  11. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

OT: Go watch The Dark Knight!

I know this thread doesnt belong here but do yourself a favor and watch this movie asap it's unbelievable!
  12. Raffy15

Raffy15 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: OT: Go watch The Dark Knight!

whats so great about it?
  13. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Everything from the storyline to great acting especially from the Joker, the best movie villain ive ever witnessed onscreen. This movie puts to shame all other hero and comic book movies that have ever been made. The movie grabs your attention from the first 15 seconds and doesnt let go throughout the entire movie its been about 7 hours since I watched it and Iam still in awe...
  14. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Will it scare my 4 year old? He wasn't bothered by Batman Begins, we just watched it.

Not that I would bring him to the theatre on opening weekend, but maybe in a couple of weeks.
  15. aztecafut

aztecafut Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was already thinking about going to watch it but now I really am gonna go. You convinced me. :D
  16. Raffy15

Raffy15 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

how long is the movie bro?
  17. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It's more dark and psychotic then the first one, im 25 years and dont scare easily but I gotta say the Joker was very intimidating at certain times in the movie. Theres a couple scenes in the movie that could make you jump up out of your seat a lil bit. But if your son liked the first one and wasnt bothered by it then he should be oright for this one, it wasnt that the Joker was all that scary just pretty intimidating and psychotic throughout the movie.
  18. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

bout two and a half hours, but trust me its one of those movies that you dont want to end its that good.
  19. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Thanks. I'll just see it by myself first, like I did with the first one. I thought the Scarecrow stuff would bother him, but he was into it.
  20. Raffy15

Raffy15 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

nice, i want it to be as long as possible. congrats, you just convinced me to go out and see it. how is the story?