PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Dante Scarnecchia Secret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd_Christmas

I can delete my own crap!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If you are like me, you have always wondered why past coaching shakeups have claimed many a casualty, but never seemed to affect Dante Scarnecchia.

I found this little tidbit quite interesting:

"Mr. Specter said Mr. Walsh also told him about games taped in between, when Mr. Walsh was a Patriots season-ticket holder and witnessed his successor, Steve Scarnecchia, engage in similar videotaping against the Steelers (September 2002 and October 2004) and Cowboys (November 2003)."

(Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/sports/football/15nfl.html?_r=1&ref=football&oref=slogin )

You have to wonder how long Steve Scarnechia has been involved in covert ops for the Pats and whether or not that had any affect on how Dante remained the one constant for the Patriots.

Not taking anything away from Dante, because he is a great coach. Also, I realize that video taping may not have occurred before BB arrival as HC, but there are other ways to spy.

Maybe there is nothing to this and I am overreacting, but it is a better explanation than Dante having pictures of Kraft posing naked with Marv Albert.

Re: The Dante Scarnecchia Secret

The Steeler game was on the road. I'm not sure how his season ticket migrated to Heinz Field.

I'm going with the SANE answer of him being a good coach

Isn't Steve now with the Jets?

If you are running a business, do you chose to keep a high paid executive, regardless of his performance, just because his son does a decent job for minimum wage in the mailroom?

That seems preposterous to me.

You retain the executive if he does a good job and cannot easily be replaced.

Last edited:

Could it possibly be because Dante Scarnecchia is one of the best in the business? Nah, it must be because he knows where the skeletons are buried.:rolleyes:

If Dante was fired today, he would have a offers 1 hour later.

Anyone know how old Steve is?

It's pretty funny that he left the Pats (where he was Walsh's successor) to become the "video director" of the Jets.

It sure looks like the Jets were doing the exact same thing as the Patriots.

I'm going with the SANE answer of him being a good coach

And one willing to work for less status/money than his abilities and track record earned.

It's how Monte Kiffin stays in Tampa Bay forever, and how Steve Belichick had a decades-long career at Navy. (OK, I think Belichick was also a tenured assistant professor, but the point still stands.)

From what I hear Dante is a really nice guy and the main reason he has been able to Stay here so long is that he does not want to be a head coach and is a really good coach. I think most coaches and orginizations would love to have a guy like Dante who is completely commited to being the best position coach he can and not just trying to ascend the ranks.

But hey, a good conspiracy theory never hurt anyone.

Everyone seems to be jumping on the "He's a good coach" argument... which I do not refute.

But lot's of really good coaches get canned when there is a coaching turnover just because he is not the new HC's guy. Being a great coach is usually not enough.... Dante has stuck around... he's like the immovable object.

I'm glad for it, but I can't help but notice that Steve was Walsh's successor. I didn't realize he was with that Jets now.... Ha! That is even more juicy!

Last edited:

Everyone seems to be jumping on the "He's a good coach" argument... which I do not refute.

But lot's of really good coaches get canned when there is a coaching turnover just because he is not the new HC's guy. Being a great coach is usually not enough.... Dante has stuck around... he's like the immovable object.

I'm glad for it, but I can't help but notice that his son was Walsh's successor. I didn't realize he was with that Jets now.... Ha! That is even more juicy!

I think this is the big key. as I posted above.
I think most coaches and orginizations would love to have a guy like Dante who is completely commited to being the best position coach he can and not just trying to ascend the ranks.
it allows you to trust him a lot more because he is not going anywhere.

Could it possibly be because Dante Scarnecchia is one of the best in the business? Nah, it must be because he knows where the skeletons are buried.:rolleyes:

Dante really had his guys ready to deal with the Giants pass rush during the SB.

I'm glad for it, but I can't help but notice that Steve was Walsh's successor. I didn't realize he was with that Jets now.... Ha! That is even more juicy!

He's not the only coach who has remained. How about Ivan Fears?

Dante really had his guys ready to deal with the Giants pass rush during the SB.

Dante forgot more about coaching the line than most coaches in the league but fire away and show your ignorance once again.

Dante forgot more about coaching the line than most coaches in the league but fire away and show your ignorance once again.

So you're saying you're pleased with how the guys he was in charge of coaching performed in SB 42?

So you're saying you're pleased with how the guys he was in charge of coaching performed in SB 42?

I guess you're the type of guy that blames your teacher for failing your math test right?

The Steeler game was on the road. I'm not sure how his season ticket migrated to Heinz Field.

Great catch!!! Perhaps a lie by Mr. Walsh? I'm sure Specter can overlook lies when they suit his agenda. He's made his own ("There IS a tape of the Walkthrough"), and ignored others all along. What's one more?

I guess you're the type of guy that blames your teacher for failing your math test right?

Well, that depends. If the teacher was teaching you geometry all week and the test was really on algebra then yes.

Isn't Steve now with the Jets?

Do you mean to tell me that the two guys Walsh has outed as cheaters (Steve Scarnecchia and Dabol), were both hired by Mangini? That can't be. Mangini is anti-cheating, and turned in one of his best friends for it (SARCASM intended).

Dante is very much a Pats loyalist, and whatever he has been asked to do, has done it well whether it be special teams or O line.. he is a long time student of the game and am pretty confident he is taken care of well by Mr. Kraft..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes