PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The criticisms of Brady are crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patters

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He's obviously having trouble getting the ball to receivers who are not open. His throwing is fine, as he demonstrates every game in at least one drive, but until he gets down the timing with the new receivers he won't have much success throwing deep and until the new receivers master more of the playbook, Brady won't have much success throwing shorter. When he throws high or low, I think it's to create an opportunity for the receiver, but not for the opponent. Brady is the least of our problems, and I have no doubt he's the best QB in the NFL.

Patters said:
He's obviously having trouble getting the ball to receivers who aren't open. His throwing is fine, as he demonstrates every game in at least one drive, but until he gets down the timing with the new receivers he won't have much success throwing deep and until the new receivers master more of the playbook, Brady won't have much success throwing shorter. When he throws high or low, I think it's to create an opportunity for the receiver, but not for the opponent. Brady is the least of our problems, and I have no doubt he's the best QB in the NFL.
I can't believe the crap i read on here when it comes to brady and how he's "lost it"

or how cassel should play

what a crock of ****.

It's all fun and games making fun of his bad throws during the game in the chatroom, but to come on here after the game and make threads saying he is badly injured, no good anymore, or a worse option than cassel is just ridiculous.

If you are a pats fan, why would you post those things??

I can't believe it. After all the **** Tommy has done. You should be ashamed of yourselves if you post that garbage.

Last edited:
Have been reading a lot about Brady this week and listening as well, not sure when but caught some stuff by Paul Perillo of Pats Weekly(who is pretty respectable) and he was very clear in his statement that Brady was not the problem, but it fell clearly on the receivers. You clearly need more the basic number to know the pass patterns and plays... it will get better, but this may be a side effect of Jacksons injury and Gabriels late trade to us.

I have no doubt he's the best QB in the NFL either.

But by NO means did he even RESEMBLE an elite QB these first three games.

It was a travesty to see Troy Brown and Reche Caldwell as our

two starting wide receivers on Sunday. No other NFL quarterback

could have done any better with this little talent. Based on two

blowouts in home exibition games, some forum members believed

we had a powerhouse offense despite our poor receiving corps.

pats1 said:
I have no doubt he's the best QB in the NFL either.

But by NO means did he even RESEMBLE an elite QB these first three games.

So you are making the assumption that this is HIS fault?

I'm not sure what games you've been watching then, if that's the case.

Anyone that can throw for over 3 hundred yards and not throw a pick against that D with THOSE WRs and no running game did not have a bad day.

It's the guys around him that were struggling, the OL included.

He had no time to throw, no one to throw to, and no running game. But still threw for 300 yards, a TD, and no picks. Get real!

The criticisms of the recievers are crazy. You have some new guys who arent well known and havent been labeled as good players, and they're working their asses off to do well. And they are improving. I can see it from Caldwell and Gabriel showed his stuff on that second to last drive of the Pats Sunday. Jackson made a few great catches against the Jets. I'm not trying to say that they are doing everything perfect and it is all Brady's fault. Brady needs to learn his new recievers. If Brady cant do that then we are in for a long year. But I know he can...and will.

So please cut the **** about the wide recievers. They havent been most of the problems. The defense to me is a bigger problem then our recievers. Our recievers are giving it all they have. You cant pin Brady's problems on them. Yes, he is not used to them but does that mean they are bad WR's? All the WR's have potential, some with great potential. All the, Its not Brady's fault with the WIDE RECIEVERS he has. No its his fault currently that he either cant get used to them or he isnt motivating his offense or acting like a leader. That could be a case, because he never seems emotional besides yelling and throwing tantrums at the referees.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
So you are making the assumption that this is HIS fault?

I'm not sure what games you've been watching then, if that's the case.

Anyone that can throw for over 3 hundred yards and not throw a pick against that D with THOSE WRs and no running game did not have a bad day.

It's the guys around him that were struggling, the OL included.

He had no time to throw, no one to throw to, and no running game. But still threw for 300 yards, a TD, and no picks. Get real!

Actually, I do find fault in Brady's games so far. He most certainly has been off on some plays; Vs. Jets - a handful to Brown and the underthrow that should have been a TD to Watson. The pass to Gabriel was way underthrown. Vs. Denver - Underthrew a pass to Caldwell that would have been a long TD, overthrew the pass to Brown slightly (although Brown still should have caught it). Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

A case can be made that it is lack of comfort that is driving this, and I believe that firmly. However, Brady is definitely not above reproach for his play so far.

Last edited:
Oswlek said:
Actually, I do find fault in Brady's games so far. He most certainly has been off on some plays; Vs. Jets - a handful to Brown and the underthrow that should have been a TD to Watson. The pass to Gabriel was way underthrown. Vs. Denver - Underthrew a pass to Caldwell that would have been a long TD, overthrew the pass to Brown slightly (although Brown still should have caught it). Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Can a case be made it is lack of comfort that is driving this, and I believe that firmly. However, Brady is definitely not above reproach for his play so far.
I agree. Good post.

Kdo5 said:
The criticisms of the recievers are crazy. You have some new guys who arent well known and havent been labeled as good players, and they're working their asses off to do well. And they are improving. I can see it from Caldwell and Gabriel showed his stuff on that second to last drive of the Pats Sunday. Jackson made a few great catches against the Jets. I'm not trying to say that they are doing everything perfect and it is all Brady's fault. Brady needs to learn his new recievers. If Brady cant do that then we are in for a long year. But I know he can...and will.

Yes they are trying hard, but as we've seen through the years, when a read is made the wrong way, it's almost always on the WR.

Brady doesn't need to adjust to his WRs if they are reading plays the wrong way. How would he be a good QB if he gave in and started doing things the wrong way too?

The WRs we have are trying hard, but that doesn't mean that they're getting it RIGHT, or even close to right. Brady knows the way the offense will work. They have to do it his way, he's the future HOF pro-bowler. They are the low salaried who'deys. I'm sure Brady will adjust to them as in getting to know the way they run their routes and their speed differentials and their habits, etc.

But Brady will never change the way he reads and reacts in this offense, as it's predicated on BRADY's ability to read the defense. His WRs have to get to the point that they see the same thing HE sees, not the other way around.

You can be assured of this by the times you've seen Brady preaching to TROY BROWN about how a route should have been run. Troy is our best WR and an experienced NFL vet, but even he's taking direction from Tom Brady.

Brownfan80 said:
Yes they are trying hard, but as we've seen through the years, when a read is made the wrong way, it's almost always on the WR.

Brady doesn't need to adjust to his WRs if they are reading plays the wrong way. How would he be a good QB if he gave in and started doing things the wrong way too?

The WRs we have are trying hard, but that doesn't mean that they're getting it RIGHT, or even close to right. Brady knows the way the offense will work. They have to do it his way, he's the future HOF pro-bowler. They are the low salaried who'deys. I'm sure Brady will adjust to them as in getting to know the way they run their routes and their speed differentials and their habits, etc.

But Brady will never change the way he reads and reacts in this offense, as it's predicated on BRADY's ability to read the defense. His WRs have to get to the point that they see the same thing HE sees, not the other way around.

You can be assured of this by the times you've seen Brady preaching to TROY BROWN about how a route should have been run. Troy is our best WR and an experienced NFL vet, but even he's taking direction from Tom Brady.

Yes, you are touching upon a good, often misunderstood point. Just because a receiver is open, does not mean that he is open where he is supposed to be. That could be, and likely is a reason why some of us have witnessed plays where Brady throws the ball away even though it seems that a WR is uncovered.

However, Brady has been off target enough that it clearly isn't *all* on the receivers.

Oswlek said:

Can a case be made it is lack of comfort that is driving this, and I believe that firmly. However, Brady is definitely not above reproach for his play so far.

Agreed, Brady has had some bad throws, just as he had last season on his way to leading the league in passing yards. He's not beyond reproach, but to point to him as the one who needs to up his play is to ignore the problems of the other units.

Watson is dropping passes that hit him in the numbers, the OL is allowing Brady to get hammered way too often and not opening up passing lanes consistently. The running game being down in the Denver game meant that when the Pats got behind the defense just had to sit back and cover. The WRs not reading their routes the same way as Brady does most likely led to some of those over and underthrows.

I'll give you an example. If you go back and watch the DVDs from the "era" you'll see a replay where Givens ran a bad route and dropped a pass. In game-time what you saw was Givens having to stop, reach back for a ball that was apparently thrown behind him. Bad throw! we probably all thought at the time.

When you watch the DVD you find out that Givens read the coverage wrong and OVER RAN HIS SPOT ON THE FIELD. What looked like a bad pass behind the WR turned out to be a WR's mistake.

So all I'm saying is that to assume that an underthrow or overthrow is exclusively on the QB is both short sighted and incorrect.

I'm not saying that Brady's been perfect. What I'm saying is that knowing what we know about how the system works, and knowing what we know about Brady, we'd be crazy not to think that a new group of WRs are the problem.

Brady makes mistakes, but they are rarely mental in nature. Him throwing it away, while disappointing to us as fans, may have been the best option available to him. His over throws and underthrows may be because the WR or TE was not in the right place.

We'll probably never know, but all this Brady-bashing after one loss is crazy to me. I will postpone my judgements of his play until we see the whole WR set out there healthy and with some gametime experience under their belts.

Oswlek said:
Yes, you are touching upon a good, often misunderstood point. Just because a receiver is open, does not mean that he is open where he is supposed to be. That could be, and likely is a reason why some of us have witnessed plays where Brady throws the ball away even though it seems that a WR is uncovered.

However, Brady has been off target enough that it clearly isn't *all* on the receivers.

Yes, that was a big part of my reply to you directly after your post here. I agree that Brady hasn't looked on-spot all the time. I felt that he overthrew Troy on the long bomb when I watched it clang off the turf, but then I realized how perfect the pass looked in the air, how it was about a yard beyond the defender and had to admit that Troy was probably a little behind the play rather than Tom being ahead of him.

Brady essentially said at his Press Conference today that the passing game is in transition but that the receivers are working very hard to get up to speed. He said it's very frustrating for them and for him, however physically he feels better than he has in a long time.

Obviously they worked in Gabriel this week and that gives them more confidence for the Bengals game and so on. In essence he's saying fans expectations are too high for where the passing game is at right now but they will try hard to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back