Welcome to PatsFans.com

The crackhead abolishes freedom of religion

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Worst. President. Ever.

Religious employers will have to offer free birth control, Obama administration says - Daily Dose: A Boston Globe blog with health news, advice, and information.

The Obama administration announced today that it will require all employers, including religious organizations, to comply with a new mandate in the health law providing free contraception in any health insurance they provide to women without a co-payment.

Religious employers that don’t currently offer insurance that covers contraception due to moral objections must comply with the law but will be granted a one-year delay before they must implement the mandate, according to the Washington Post.

2. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The article included the federal guidelines which I linked below. All I can say is, Savages, pure and simple, savages!

Free birth control coming soon to Mass. - Daily Dose: A Boston Globe blog with health news, advice, and information.

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

Hate to agree w/wolfie, but I don't know how this can be justified.

I also don't know why anything should be required to be "free," but that's a different issue.

Worst president ever, though? That's laughable.

He is the worst since Bush II, though. Without a doubt.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,141 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

I think it's a great idea myself ... government should not factor religion into it's decisions. Birth control and education give young people a greater chance of success in their life. All efforts possible should be made available to stop unwanted pregnancies. IMO you cannot on one hand complain about welfare money while at the same time complain about efforts to wean people off of it. You can't complain about abortion while at the same time not help people prevent pregnancies.

6. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

This is all true, but why should a religious group have to offer health services that contradict the religion's beliefs?

if a person wants their healthcare to include birth control, nobody is forcing them to work for a religious institution.

I don't see any principle behind this. Should the Catholic church also be forced to permit gay priests, or female priests?

7. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

As long as birth control is legal in the USA, then it is part of health care. An employer can not choose what health care is and what it is not. This is a way out there example, but what if a religious group decided that cancer was the finger of God? And, with such a decision decided that their health care would not cover cancer treatments of any kind?

No one forces anyone to work for any company or institution, so should all companies or institutions be allowed to applied their personal beliefs to pay, working conditions, health insurance and so forth?

Laws have to apply to religion and religion should not apply to laws.

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

If that was truly part of their religious belief, then I think they should have the right to choose a plan that doesn't cover cancer treatments.

Why is birth control inherently part of health care? Is a gym membership? Dental? How about a personal trainer and nutritionist? There are varying levels of what is and is not included as part of both the generic term "healthcare" as well as existing health insurance plans.

Personal beliefs about working conditions aren't Constitutionally protected rights -- freedom of religion is. Personally, I don't think health insurance should be tied to employment -- does the Constitution say anywhere that my personal belief on the matter can't be infringed upon by the government? Because it does say that about the government and religion.

You didn't answer the question I posed in the post you cited: Should the Catholic church also be forced to permit gay priests, or female priests? After all, there are laws against workplace discrimination.

9. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

I am going to be honest and admit that I read your post at least three times looking for answer that would cover up my inherent bias against religion :) And, although I may be laughed off the forums for saying this... I think I was wrong about my initial post. It was a knee jerk reaction, and if this had been about the government forcing a certain company to provide a certain type of health insurance I would have probably came down on the other side of the fence.

And, to answer your question about gay priests or female priests... I think any organization or company should be able to hire anyone they want to represent them. And, I think the organization or company should be able to decide who they want to represent them.

P.S. Let churches do what they want but lets tax them.

10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Then don't apply for a job working for the people who have that belief and would make you take a health care plan with those provisions.

Of course, the idiocy of this analogy shows the bankruptcy of your argument.

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

You are aware that this does not include churches or other places of worship, aren't you?

Obama Administration Announces New Decision On Birth Control, To Chagrin Of Religious Groups

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

Keep religion out of my politics.. the first amendment prevails. :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Great post Chico. This may be part of an effort to further secularize our nation...just a theory, but with some merit.

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

As I pointed out earlier, the Catholic Church is not being forced to offer birth control, free or otherwise.

The church, itself, is exempt from the law. However their subsidaries, such as hospitals and universities which take federal funds from the government, are not exempt.

15. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Birth control: Feds say many church-affiliated employers must cover but grant 1-year extension - The Washington Post

>>>In a concession, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said nonprofit institutions such as church-affiliated hospitals, colleges and social service agencies will have one additional year to comply with the requirement, issued in regulations under President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul.<<<<

So colleges like Notre Dame must now offer coverage for birth control pills, which is against their religious principles and Catholic affiliated hospitals must also cover it violating their fundamental principles or they have to go out of business. Do we really want the government telling us which of our religious principles we get to follow if they don't infringe on anyone else???

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I believe we have unlimitted freedom to express our religious principles without gov't interferece, don't we?

My guess is that this will end up a supreme court case to test that freedom. And rightfully it should.

17. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

That link WAS included in your article. It was the Federal Guidelines which was the subject of that article. Sorry if it contradicts your rant.

18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

I'd hope nobody would laugh at you for admitting being wong or changing your mind. I think it's a strong trait to be able to do both.

(I'm not a fan of religion, either, btw)

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

Further secularize? You realize we have a pretty religious nation, right?

20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

I was speaking of hospitals and universities re healthcare (the church question was to ask how far to take the argument). Are their hospitals and universities exempt if they don't take federal funds?

(and as with other discussions of universities, I'd ask what taking funds means. If it's simply a patient using a federal health plan or a student using a federal loan, I don't think those should require the institutions to go against their religious beliefs. If they want to get direct funding from the government through grants, loans, etc., then I think it's ok for the government to attach requirements to that funding including forms of healthcare -- though how wise that would be is debatable)