The Cowboys want to build their team like the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Cowboys following Patriots' model - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I am sure many teams feel the same way in a copycat league,but paying Tony Romo huge money and who is one of the most overrated QBs in the league is not the way to start.

It all starts at the QB in building a team,the Cowboys can try and build like the Pats,but Romo is not the guy to get them their glory years back IMO.

Trying to emulate the NE offense by signing TEs is SO not "following the Patriots model"

If they want to build their team like the Pats they should start by getting a new owner, but Jerry won't fire him,self. :D

Jerry obviously hasn't seen the TONS of top draft picks we've used on defense. We haven't intentionally given up defense to build the offense, we've just not had success with the defensive draftees but this isn't some grand design like he suggests.

If they want to build their team like the Pats they should start by getting a new owner, but Jerry won't fire him,self. :D

Even if they can't get a new owner, Jerry Jones may wish to note that Robert Kraft is not the team's GM.

So they're hoping Romo gets seriously injured and some HofF QB comes out of nowhere to lead them to a decade-plus of dominance?

Jerry obviously hasn't seen the TONS of top draft picks we've used on defense. We haven't intentionally given up defense to build the offense, we've just not had success with the defensive draftees but this isn't some grand design like he suggests.

Yeah, I've seen this sentiment from Jets fans and other rival fans from around the league, and apparently owners believe this as well... the basic narrative is that after 2006, when Brady became "elite," Belichick somehow stopped caring about defense and put 100% of his coaching energy into the offense and scoring points. There are a lot of reasons why the Pats' defense went on a downward slope while the offense went in the opposite direction, but a lack of attention or concern for that side of the ball isn't one of them.

Well third round rookie Duran Harmon is on the way to make us all forget about the glory years of 2001-2004.

I joke. :D

As long as Jerry Jones is there, they'll never be like the Pats.

I am sure many teams feel the same way in a copycat league,but paying Tony Romo huge money and who is one of the most overrated QBs in the league is not the way to start.

It all starts at the QB in building a team,the Cowboys can try and build like the Pats,but Romo is not the guy to get them their glory years back IMO.

I'm sure there are many teams who would consider the NEP as one of the "model" franchises that they would like to emulate, so that's no surprise. Good luck with that having JJ as your owner, as many have pointed out--which will be their biggest obstacle.

Just out of curiosity, you do realize that Romo and his 17-18 million AAV salary will be one of the middle tiered averages for QB's in the next couple/few yrs, right?

Obviously we all know about his untimely INT's, but do you also know that his all-time career QB rating puts him neck in neck with Tom Brady? (95.6 all time QB rating for Romo) Tony Romo's 7 consecutive yrs of a QBR over 90 makes him with the 3rd all-time active streak in NFL history amongst ANY quarterback ever.

For a QB who just had another 5,000 yd season, and has an all-time completion percentage of 65%, he sure gets a lot of flack from the so called experts. I mean, don't get me wrong--he obviously has made some poor decisions in crunch time, but he's also easily one of the top 10 QB's in the NFL. It's not "great" to have a 2/1 TD to INT ratio, but it's not exactly horrible either...

I'm not sure how much anyone expecting him to sign for, but it's more than obvious that 2nd/3rd tiered QB's like Stafford, Romo, Matt Ryan, Flacco etc are all going to be in that 18-21 million AAV range.

Every team should want to. 13 years since the last losing season, I know we have Brady but it's not like we're the only team with an amazing QB, and the year without him we went 11-5.

Sustained excellence is a great goal to have, but Jerry needs to figure out "how" this is achieved. too many owners feel compelled to "go big" or overpay for talent that is either in decline or more than market share (to make sure they sign the player).

It's a tough discipline to have because you'll feel the fan backlash if games go poorly. Basically, winning cures alot of ailments.

Of course, the downside to having sustained excellence is having a fanbase that thinks your team is useless if they haven't "won" a superbowl in 10 years. Lesson here, fans are fickled and tend to take the small term approach.

they are never going to do anything until Jerry takes a backseat

Step one, hire a great football person and give them complete control of the team. Note, until step one is completed nothing else can take place that will achieve the goal.

Step two, draft and develop a Hall of Fame QB.

That's nice that Jerry wants to do that, but he has to understand that he's the problem. Get a real GM that won't allow you to take a guy at 31 who you could have at 91. I'm sure Jerry has more on his plate that almost anyone, he can't sit there and scout every guy in the draft. Hire football people to make football decisions. That's what Robert Kraft does. I mean he said before Welker signed elsewhere that he wanted him back. You think Jerry would've let that happen in a similar situation? No.

Sustained excellence is a great goal to have, but Jerry needs to figure out "how" this is achieved. too many owners feel compelled to "go big" or overpay for talent that is either in decline or more than market share (to make sure they sign the player).

It's a tough discipline to have because you'll feel the fan backlash if games go poorly. Basically, winning cures alot of ailments.

Of course, the downside to having sustained excellence is having a fanbase that thinks your team is useless if they haven't "won" a superbowl in 10 years. Lesson here, fans are fickled and tend to take the small term approach.

I wonder if any team in history has ever had as many players come through a roster without ever dropping out of contention?

I think he's referencing more towards the Pats double TE scheme, and dominant scoring over the past 5 years or so. I mean who wouldn't love to have a team that is top 5 in points scored annually?

Dallas is trying to get Romo some more weapons and added protection at the OL level. So in that respect, I can't fault them. But the core problem might be that Tony Romo just isn't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down