Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Cost of War - A historical Perspective

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Oct 10, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

I know a few of you may recall that I like to follow an economic blog called "Mish's Economic Global Trend Analysis".

Although some may not agree with much of what he writes, I think everyone's eyes will be open after reading his blog on the cost of war to the citizens of the United States.

Just a glimpse;

"Those costs do not include the future medical costs of injured soldiers, the countless wrecked lives of US soldiers and the lives of millions of innocent civilians killed in the needless war in Iraq.

Bear in mind, I do not support the social agenda of the National Priorities Project. However, I would rather see any spending in the US than the needless destruction of lives and property around the globe.

The US cannot afford to be the world's policemen, and even if we could, I still would not support such needless destruction."

There are some eye-popping graphs showing the history of military spending as a percent of GDP. Sickening to say the least!

Read more....

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Cost of War Since 2001; Federal outlays and revenues, 1940-2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I came to the conclusion years ago that it would be an economic armeggedon for any major powers such as the US and China to go to war. Global economies are to intertwined now a days for war to be feasible. Both sides would lose.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

Exellent point Flex! It would now be unfathomable to fund such a war. But I don't even like thinking about a war of that size and what the consequences might be.

Like you wrote....Armaggedon!
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

The medical legacy costs of the Iraq lie amounts to somewhere between 1.3 and 2 billion... that is a lot of chump change, added to the 700 billion already spent on the ground in Iraq....